• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Where Does the Panthers' Head Coaching Job Rank?

Carolina Husker

We all know Richardson is going cheap. He'll likely hire some guy we've never heard of before at the bottom of the barrel rate. So why does this thread even matter?

To answer the question, middle of the road. More desirable than Dallas, not as desirable as San Diego (which might not even be open)

Of all the known (Dallas, San Francisco, Carolina) and rumored (Minnesota, Denver, San Diego) openings this off-season, where does the Panthers' vacancy rank in terms of appeal to the Harbaughs, Cowhers Fraziers etc. of the world?

How do we stack up in those coveted coaches' eyes of the most desirable places to coach?

Panthers, Vikings would be next to last and last. Maybe interchangeable.

I still love our RB's, an Oline, and Defense. We have a lot of young talent that can be molded into a new coaches philosphy. In Dallas those guys are pretty much set in there ways.

We will have coin to spend in the FA market.

I like our chances.

this.. it isn't going to take 5-7 years to "turn the tide" like you all are saying.. it may take a year, maybe 2.. but the sky isn't falling with the talent on our team..

this.. it isn't going to take 5-7 years to "turn the tide" like you all are saying.. it may take a year, maybe 2.. but the sky isn't falling with the talent on our team..

Dallas has way more talent on offense than us.

The Oline has been terrible this year, so have the backs. I love Double Trouble as much as anyone and know they are the key to success so I'm just trying to play Devil's Advocate.

DWill might not be here, Stew is always hurt, our RT is always hurt, without him the line is bottom half of the league. We don't have a QB. We have an aging receiver, and two young receivers, one of those is known for having the dropsies.

Our Dline needs lots of work. Our LBs are the best part of this team. Our secondary is young but needs some coaching up.

There are a lot of pieces here that make this job very attractive, I mean very attractive but let's not kid ourselves and discount the attractiveness of other jobs out there as well. All the open jobs are going to have something to build upon, something to hang their hat on, just like us.

Our owner is not cheap, stop using that argument against us. One big thing that worries me about this team and finding a great coach is our division. Whether people realize it our not we are probably in the toughest division in the NFC. We could have three playoff teams this year. Tampa and Atlanta are getting better and have a young core to build around and NO will always be tough as long as they have Brees. Would a coach want to have to compete with that each year when he could maybe go to SF or SD or Denver where .500 will get you the division crown?

I'm not sure.

We all know Richardson is going cheap. He'll likely hire some guy we've never heard of before at the bottom of the barrel rate. So why does this thread even matter?

To answer the question, middle of the road. More desirable than Dallas, not as desirable as San Diego (which might not even be open)

We don't know any such thing :nonod:

What we actually know is that Richardson won't pay the kind of ridiculous salary that it would take to get someone like Cowher, Gruden or Parcells just to have them come here, get fans excited, have a decent couple of years and then fail to repeat their past accomplishments (we've been that route already).

That doesn't translate to him just going out and hiring whoever will accept the lowest salary. He'll hire a guy who's on the rise because he believes it'e better to build your own star than buy someone else's (and he's right).

The stuff people are projecting on Richardson (ignoring his history) is just silly.

San Diego is going to be the plum this offseason. With Rivers, all they need is a great defensive coach and they'll be elite.

Dallas is another good gig, just because you know Jones will pay whatever he can to get talent. But the expectations are sky high, and the GM is terrible. There's a reason that the franchise isn't really great any more, and it's the guy who signs the checks. No one in their right mind will go there without some control of personnel, and Jones won't give that to an up-and-comer.

San Fran is a good situation, they have some talent on both sides of the ball. But the ownership is bad, the players are immature, and there's no chemistry in the locker room. If Mike Singletary can't get their attention long enough for them to get together as a team, who can? But maybe a good defensive coach is what they need to turn things around.

Minnesota is promising, but they need a QB and they're aging on defense. Looks good on paper, but not poised to get better. I'm not even getting into their facilities issue. Who wants to live in Minnesota anyway?

Arizona is just... sad.

Cincinnati is a great place to go for those who are contemplating a career as a parole officer after football.

So where does Carolina rank among those teams? San Diego is a better place, but SLJ says that Fox has that job in the bag. Since the chin is going to Dallas, that leaves Carolina, San Fran, and Minnesota as the best of the rest.

In that group, I think there's a pretty good argument here. We've got a good group of young players, a good GM, good facilities, and an owner who may have made a mistake this year but who's usually among the best.

Tell me why we suck again?

I still don't know why people think that Norv is gone after this season. AJ Smith and Spanos have both said that he is going nowhere.

Archived