• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Andrew Luck vs. Jimmy Clausen

unicar15

Some do go to Europe.

Less than .5% come back from Europe to win SBs.

So are you saying after year two we should send Clausen to Europe then have him come back and win a SB? How long is this going to take? 15 years?

eh, NFL Europe shut down in 2007. just sayin.

And if Luck turns out to be garbage? We all just say, "oh well,"?

That is a worry about any pick that you make at #1 overall. But you don't pass on a franchise QB with the #1 pick because he MIGHT be a bust when all of the signs point to him being great. He is THE BEST prospect since Manning with the combo of intelligence, size, and strength.

So you can either be a tool and take a defender that isn't going to be any better for you than a good FA that you pick up off the street. Or you can take the best player at the most important position and actually try to be an elite team. If the Panthers pass on a QB in this draft then this is a failure of a franchise because both Mallett and Luck will end up being better than Clausen. Thats not to say that I think Clausen is a bad QB. That just shows how good I think both of those guys will be.

I'd normally agree, but we're also going to be going through regime change here. New coach may not think Clausen is the guy. And unlike Yasinskas, I don't agree that being able to develop Clausen is necessarily a condition for getting the head coaching job.

And yeah, Clausen was our top pick, but still a second rounder with a second round contract. I could see him being traded to a WCO team for whatever they could get.

Realistically though, that scenario's still a little far out, but I'd say the chances of it happening go way up if Jim Harbaugh gets the job. If it's one of the other guys (Grimm, Zimmer, Frazier, etc) then I wouldn't bet on it as much.

the GM that drafted Clausen is still going to be the GM. That GM's going to have a top pick for the first time in 10 years and he's going to put it into the same position he did last year, and follow that with trading off another prospect at bargain basement prices?

I really don't think so.

Um no Luck has been pretty much the top since he was redshirting.

Mallet is a dumb hick from Texarkana in the same system which produced Stefan Lefors and Brian Brohm.

sorry, I was wrong. Mallett was the hottest prospect for 2010, in 2009. Locker was the top prospect the start of this year.

Someone mentioned on the 18 game season thread about underclassmen declaring. I think they were talking about the 2012 draft if there is no 2011 season, however it got me thinking. There is a very real possibility that Luck (and possibly many other underclassmen) will not declare if the CBA is not completed (or at least looking like it will get done soon) by the time he has to make a decision, which, iirc is sometime in the middle of January.

After all, he still has two years of eligibility left, so can ride out this negotiation and the possible lockout year. And if the assumption is that with any new CBA there will be a rookie cap, then he really has no incentive to come out early just to risk not playing for a year. Particularly since he has stated that he wants to get his degree, regardless of the NFL.

Heck, it could be the same thing with Peterson and Green, who are both juniors...or even Dareus. So, if the CBA does not look close to being completed by January, there's a very real possibility that even with the #1 pick we will be left without any blue chippers to pick from.

At 1-8....yeah...I'm on board for playing for draft picks at this point. I hated the idea before....but now...we better get a back-up rookie potential franchise QB for the back-up rookie potential franchise QB for the potential rookie franchise QB.

And after that...we better go ahead and get a 2nd and 3rd rounder QB and sign up 2-3 QB free agents JUST in case.

Just saying.........the rate we're going we'll be going through 5-6 of them just during try-outs.

Archived