• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Andrew Luck vs. Jimmy Clausen

unicar15

He may be a star. And a star for us. But Tim Couch, David Carr, Ryan Leaf, Kelly Stouffer, and David Klingler were can't-miss prospects at QB too.

What about Sam Bradford, Matt Stafford, Josh Freeman, Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco, Jay Cutler, Aaron Rodgers, Philip Rivers, Eli Manning, Ben Rothlisberger, Carson Palmer, Michael Vick, Donovan McNabb, Peyton Manning?

I'd be OK with a QB depth chart of Luck, Clausen and Bulger

not me. no point in having two young guys like clausen and luck on the roster. if you draft luck, you trade clausen away. it sounds like a good idea, but really it's a waste. if you have luck and bulger, you really only need a warm body for the emergency QB.

If he is there when we pick you have to take him. You don't get a chance at a "Peyton Manning" like quarterback very often. Ive seen his highlights and I like him a lot more than some of the more recent high pick QB's e.g. Matt Ryan, Sam Bradford, Andrew Stafford. Especially if there is a rookie cap.....That would be awesome!

What about Sam Bradford, Matt Stafford, Josh Freeman, Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco, Jay Cutler, Aaron Rodgers, Philip Rivers, Eli Manning, Ben Rothlisberger, Carson Palmer, Michael Vick, Donovan McNabb, Peyton Manning?

true.

you can look at the number of QBs taken in the first round and see quite a few busts, but the number of busts isn't much, if at all, more than for other positions. looking at the number of QBs that are successful (keeping their job for longer, # of playoff games, # of wins, # of probowls (if you believe it matters)...most of them came from the first round.

if you want to get a successful QB, your best chance of success is still the first round, regardless of the risk involved.

He may be a star. And a star for us. But Tim Couch, David Carr, Ryan Leaf, Kelly Stouffer, and David Klingler were can't-miss prospects at QB too.

This is how we have operated for the last decade or so. Where has it gotten us?

Carolina needs to take a shot at a true 1st round talent QB. Time to end this whole regime of Game managing QB's. You can't win in this league scoring 16 points a week anymore.

This is how we have operated for the last decade or so. Where has it gotten us?

Carolina needs to take a shot at a true 1st round talent QB. Time to end this whole regime of Game managing QB's. You can't win in this league scoring 16 points a week anymore.

And if Luck turns out to be garbage? We all just say, "oh well,"?

And if Luck turns out to be garbage? We all just say, "oh well,"?

Then you attempt to draft another franchise QB. Until you have a franchise QB you don't stop trying to acquire one.

Lets put it this way; the only teams that can afford to pass on Luck won't have a shot at him.

Somehow I think spending your top pick on a QB for 3-5 years in a row isn't very smart.

We haven't done that. We haven't drafted a QB in the first since 1995. And thats not really what I'm saying anyway. QBs with this kind of potential only come along once in a great while. And its only once in every couple decades you actually get a shot at him. Unless you are Detroit that is.

Drafting a QB in the first round for the first time in 15 years isn't crazy.

Not taking a shot at a rare talent at the most important position on the field is crazy.

But yes, If we draft luck then in the next two to three years neither him nor pickles works out then you take another shot. You don't say "oh no I wasted that one pick on a bad QB that one time so i'm never doing that again".

Archived