• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

If Fox were to be let go...

Mr. Scot

Mind you, I don't buy that this is a legitimate possibility, at least not this offseason.

But if Fox were to be let go tomorrow, you'd find me hoping that the Panthers refrain from going after Bill Cowher and instead turn their attentions to this man.

haley_todd.jpg

Per one of the local writers (Gantt, I think) the Panthers under Fox and Hurney prefer defensive coaches, but it's been suggested before that Fox and Hurney are a package deal. If one goes, the other might go with him, or at least be forced to make adjustments.

Thus, in the unlikely event that Fox is gone, this would be my first choice.

Mind you, I don't buy that this is a legitimate possibility, at least not this offseason.

But if Fox were to be let go tomorrow, you'd find me hoping that the Panthers refrain from going after Bill Cowher and instead turn their attentions to this man.

haley_todd.jpg

Per one of the local writers (Gantt, I think) the Panthers under Fox and Hurney prefer defensive coaches, but it's been suggested before that Fox and Hurney are a package deal. If one goes, the other might go with him, or at least be forced to make adjustments.

Thus, in the unlikely event that Fox is gone, this would be my first choice.

Haley will most likely become the next head coach of the Kansas City Chiefs...

Plus, I would rather have Clancy Pendergast because of the job that he has done with AZ's defense

I don't buy that Fox is in danger of being let go right now. And if he isn't soon, there's likely no realistic chance at Haley. He'll be head coaching somewhere else. KC seems likely (Mortensen backed off the "Shanahan is a done deal" talk).

Honestly, this thread isn't so much about that possibility as it is a general preference.

If Fox were to be let go, this year or next year, my preference would be to go after a coordinator on the rise rather than a retread.

I know everyone loves Cowher for his charisma and the fact that he got a ring (after 15 years, and with the help of one of the best run organizations in sports, mind you) but I've seen far too many guys go to new places and fail to duplicate their success

In short, Cowher could easily be the next George Seifert.

I much prefer the "create your own star" approach to the "sign someone else's star" way of thinking. Not likely I'll change that feeling anytime soon.

I don't buy that Fox is in danger of being let go right now. And if he isn't soon, there's likely no realistic chance at Haley. He'll be head coaching somewhere else. KC seems likely (Mortensen backed off the "Shanahan is a done deal" talk).

Honestly, this thread isn't so much about that possibility as it is a general preference.

If Fox were to be let go, this year or next year, my preference would be to go after a coordinator on the rise rather than a retread.

I know everyone loves Cowher for his charisma and the fact that he got a ring (after 15 years, and with the help of one of the best run organizations in sports, mind you) but I've seen far too many guys go to new places and fail to duplicate their success

In short, Cowher could easily be the next George Seifert.

I much prefer the "create your own star" approach to the "sign someone else's star" way of thinking. Not likely I'll change that feeling anytime soon.

Agreed, I am kind of getting sick of the Cowher lovefest. As Gantt pointed out, we shouldn't be looking for Cowher but yet a younger version of Cowher. If I had to make a choice, I would actually prefer to find the next "Mike Tomlin."

That said, Leslie Fraizer would be a excellent choice if we were to go that route. Fraizer worked under Tomlin before and I think would be a great pick-up.

Agreed, I am kind of getting sick of the Cowher lovefest. As Gantt pointed out, we shouldn't be looking for Cowher but yet a younger version of Cowher. If I had to make a choice, I would actually prefer to find the next "Mike Tomlin."

That said, Leslie Fraizer would be a excellent choice if we were to go that route. Fraizer worked under Tomlin before and I think would be a great pick-up.

I'm not entirely sold on Tomlin yet. Part of the reason I now have questions about Cowher is that Tomlin is in the Super Bowl in just his second year there.

Was he really the coaching find of the century, or is the Steeler organization just that good? I'm tending toward the latter view, and that affects my view of both Tomlin and Cowher.

Add in that Cowher wants "total control" and that approach pretty much never works these days. The big ego guys often try it, but then they don't start having any real success until they give up one role or the other.

I would agree that Clancy Pendergast is a guy that deserves consideration for an HC job. Leslie Frazier I don't know as much about. I'd have to research him more.

I'm not entirely sold on Tomlin yet. Part of the reason I now have questions about Cowher is that Tomlin is in the Super Bowl in just his second year there.

Was he really the coaching find of the century, or is the Steeler organization just that good? I'm tending toward the latter view, and that affects my view of both Tomlin and Cowher.

Add in that Cowher wants "total control" and that approach pretty much never works these days. The big ego guys often try it, but then they don't start having any real success until they give up one role or the other.

I would agree that Clancy Pendergast is a guy that deserves consideration for an HC job. Leslie Frazier I don't know as much about. I'd have to research him more.

Never give the reins of a team to a guy named "Clancy"

Archived