• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Sean May

Hotsauce

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/bobcats/story/494817.html

I have not seen anything about Sean May on this board in a while. (partly because he has been inactive for over a month) But he is now getting closer to becoming active again. According to this article, which was in Sunday's paper, May and Coach Brown came to an agreement that LB would re-activate May if he was able to get his weight under control. Apparently he is within 7 pounds of reaching that goal of 260 pounds (the same weight he was back in 2002).

With his contract set to expire soon, this brings up the question, What will the Bobcats do? From his interviews, it seems that he wants to remain in Charlotte. But honestly, this guy has yet to play a full season, and when he is playing, he is unpredictable.

I say the Bobcats extend his contract one year, and give him a shot at producing some respectable numbers. If he cannot stay healthy...see ya later!

Just curious, with our new success with the players we have on the court now, could we see Sean re-insert himself in a successful role? Would he be a good fit for LB's system?

283-seanmay0125.ART0_GNT9V1MB.1+MAY_07.JPG.embedded.prod_affiliate.138.jpg

I think everybody here is missing the point about Sean May. He was given advice by an all time great coach and as opposed to venting his frustration about it in the paper and refusing to be treated that way, he put his head down and went to work. He's the first guy on the court to give props to his teammates and as of right now he's working harder than anybody else to get his act together in terms of being conditioned.

You know what Larry Brown sees when he looks at Sean May? 290 lbs. of potential that could play a hell of a lot better at 260 lbs. If he didn't think that Sean May was a player, he would have sat his ass at the end of the bench and gave him Alexis Ajinca minutes.

In other words, Larry Brown knows ways to push players and make them better players. If keeping and playing Sean May wasn't in the plans, then he wouldn't be wasting his time in trying to get him in shape. May is a UNC product and all UNC products will listen to three coaches... Dean Smith, Larry Brown, and Roy Williams. Larry could get Sean May to run straight into a brick wall if he thought it would improve his game.

Big men that have the hands, mid range jumper, passing ability, free throw ability, and versatility that Sean May has aren't very easy to find. All he needs is to get into shape in order to play the amount of minutes that Brown would need him to play. Part of the reason that May is so gassed in the defensive end is that he's not well conditioned. If he gets that part of his game together, you're looking at another big on our roster like Boris Diow that can do everything you want a guy to do in the offensive end.

Larry Brown does not like Adam Morrison. He didn't like Matt Carroll. He didn't like Jason Richardson. I am not totally convinced he likes Shannon Brown either. He would also let Raymond Felton leave if he could get a good return for him.

My point in saying all this is that it's not hard to tell the guys that Brown has a use for. While his relationship with Sean May has been rocky, he has gotten through to Sean about his weight control problems. Brown likes guys that can create matchup problems, will hustle, play sound defense, and move around and create chaos in the offensive end. Sean May is a Larry Brown kind of guy once he gets his act together. Larry has seen what Sean can do in the past with Carolina and early in his career with Charlotte. May could provide an ideal change of pace from Emeka.

Sean May doesn't fit the model player that Brown wants. Carroll didn't either. And neither does Adam Morrison. Problem is, only Caroll had any trade value and that is why he dumped him. Believe me, if Adam starts to become a more well rounded player, he'll become trade bait. Brown likes players who attack the boards and play great defense...

We actually are putting together a good team now through all of our recent trades.

Sean May doesn't fit the model player that Brown wants. Carroll didn't either. And neither does Adam Morrison. Problem is, only Caroll had any trade value and that is why he dumped him. Believe me, if Adam starts to become a more well rounded player, he'll become trade bait. Brown likes players who attack the boards and play great defense...

We actually are putting together a good team now through all of our recent trades.

False. Adam Morrison couldn't play defense to save his life. Carroll was a hot and cold streaky shooter that drives Brown insane.

Carroll didn't have trade value... he just had contract value which is why Dallas gave us their contract problem in return for him. They had too many average bigs and we had too many streaky shooting guards.

Make no mistake, Sean May is a very strong rebounder. He isn't going to be a double double kind of guy on regular basis but he did average about seven boards per game during his best season with us in limited minutes. His defense is suspect but the rest of the package is there. Brown knows that a player like May can be a tremendous asset. He has the best post hands of anybody on the team and is a ridiculous passer for his position. I would say a poor man's Chris Webber in terms of style. He just needed to drop weight and get in better condition to play minutes at the NBA level. He was getting pushed around at 260 previously and instead of adding strength he added body mass. That impacted his knees and caused injury problems.

If Brown was wasting all this energy into Sean May if only to make him a tradeable asset then he'd be stupid. Larry Brown isn't stupid. He wants Sean May to play a big time role for this team in the future and the level of attention he is giving him shows that. If he didn't care what happened with Sean May after this season then he wouldn't be putting in the work with him. Bottom line.

Sean May is a human cheeseburger.

I supported him longer than I should have, but now its time to wash our hands of this grease stain and see if he can develop somewhere else.

Like a yankee couch, where he belongs.

I'm sorry, but you have an opportunity to be a starter in the NBA, but you can't leave the gravy alone long enough to drop 30 pounds then you just need to go overdose on butter.

I think everybody here is missing the point about Sean May. He was given advice by an all time great coach and as opposed to venting his frustration about it in the paper and refusing to be treated that way, he put his head down and went to work. He's the first guy on the court to give props to his teammates and as of right now he's working harder than anybody else to get his act together in terms of being conditioned.

You know what Larry Brown sees when he looks at Sean May? 290 lbs. of potential that could play a hell of a lot better at 260 lbs. If he didn't think that Sean May was a player, he would have sat his ass at the end of the bench and gave him Alexis Ajinca minutes.

In other words, Larry Brown knows ways to push players and make them better players. If keeping and playing Sean May wasn't in the plans, then he wouldn't be wasting his time in trying to get him in shape. May is a UNC product and all UNC products will listen to three coaches... Dean Smith, Larry Brown, and Roy Williams. Larry could get Sean May to run straight into a brick wall if he thought it would improve his game.

Big men that have the hands, mid range jumper, passing ability, free throw ability, and versatility that Sean May has aren't very easy to find. All he needs is to get into shape in order to play the amount of minutes that Brown would need him to play. Part of the reason that May is so gassed in the defensive end is that he's not well conditioned. If he gets that part of his game together, you're looking at another big on our roster like Boris Diow that can do everything you want a guy to do in the offensive end.

Larry Brown does not like Adam Morrison. He didn't like Matt Carroll. He didn't like Jason Richardson. I am not totally convinced he likes Shannon Brown either. He would also let Raymond Felton leave if he could get a good return for him.

My point in saying all this is that it's not hard to tell the guys that Brown has a use for. While his relationship with Sean May has been rocky, he has gotten through to Sean about his weight control problems. Brown likes guys that can create matchup problems, will hustle, play sound defense, and move around and create chaos in the offensive end. Sean May is a Larry Brown kind of guy once he gets his act together. Larry has seen what Sean can do in the past with Carolina and early in his career with Charlotte. May could provide an ideal change of pace from Emeka.

Not trying to pat myself on the back here, but you can tell exactly how much Brown thinks about May by the fact that he is working as hard as he is with him. Maybe this will lend some credability to the rest of the post.

Archived