• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Official 2011 Carolina Panthers Free Agency Thread

The Saltman

One year rental smarter than having guys for several years to come?

Gettis and LaFell both outperformed Houshandzadeh on the year and they likely make less than him combined.

You're misunderstanding what I am saying. For the time being, it was smarter. Form a winning now perspective it was smarter. The Ravens made it to the playoffs, we didn't. As you said, they are old so it would be stupid to sign them long term. I am not talking in terms of trading one scenario for another, I am talking about having both. It is smarter in the sense of winning now. We could have easily been competitive this year by signing guys in FA while still letting the rookies play and sit a little more. Could we have not rented these guys for a year, go to the playoffs and still have Gettis and Lafell long term? Seeing as how Gettis was 6th round and LaFell the 3rd, I say yes.

My point is this year was not done smartly fan/winning wise. Buisnessman/future-wise it was genius (well, maybe more like a big risk) but if that is all it's about we should just go cheap every year. If our goal is to win in the future every year, that's pointless.

But, besides all that I don't think you can even say whether it was smarter or not until we even know what LaFell and Gettis are capable of. I think there are wayyy too many people banking on rookies and not willing to accept they might not work out.

I think there are two camps regarding the QB, a vet that can back up and mentor Clausen or a vet that can actually compete and win the job.JR needs to determine if he wants to win now or make this a multi year project.Unfortunitly there are not alot of options at qb.I see them picking up an under achiever like Alex Smith and see if we can get better results without spending alot of money.We are in a better position to improve on the supporting cast and go cheap at QB this year.I think assuming Otah is healthy we add a guard,revamp how we use a TE and even adding one if necessary,and add a wr.I think everyone will be surprised how much differance coaching will make in improving our offense.

In all honestly I would like to start Clausen for one more year and have a nice vet come in and mentor him. He shows great potential at times then after that doesn't show as much as we hoped. But putting in a rookie with rookie receivers and a busted up O Line isn't really going to give him much opportunity to succeed.

Check out the players an AFC blogger thinks Fox may try to either trade for or sign if the Panthers decide not to retain them in free agency.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/23536/could-fox-reunite-with-former-players

He may be up there, but I wouldn't cry if we wound up swapping Champ Bailey and Richard Marshall :lol:

I may be one of the few guys that cares about a free agent fullback, but I'd like to pry Vonta Leach away from the Texans.

Its all fun to talk about FA's, but IMHO I think there will be very limited free agency.

1. CBA will not get done until near the beginning of the season.

2. Owners and player will agree to more franchise tags for this year only to allow the season to start on time.

3. Teams will lock down most FA's

4. Without FA's Panthers can not make the big splash that we need to have a major improvement in the team and record.

so as Panther fans we need the CBA to get done ASAP so we have a normal free agency season.

Archived