• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

If AJ Green is the Pick...

chknwing

You forgot one major need, and that is o-line. We NEED a stud DT, theres no argue against it. I'm not saying take a DT with a first rounder, but none the less, we need one. Then after OL and DL is QB, despite how much faith we may or may not have in Clausen.

We need to stop the run, no doubt, but we were pretty decent in passing defense and while a DT would be nice....we need to be able to score points.

With an average QB at best being our only option for 2011, we need another receiver like Smith in his days that can "go up and grab it" when our QB puts it up.

With Smith on a downward trend, tell me someone other than AJ Green, the 6'4 college freak that is a better fit for the job of "going up and grabbing it". I can see this guy being a red-zone touchdown machine...and I don't care what anyone says, that's our biggest need by far: scoring touchdowns.

Orton won't be needed here after we either draft Cam with the first pick or Tyrod with a later pick. Our Qb's will be perfectly fine next year, and Green can go somewhere else with all his character issues. Smith and LaFell will hold it down until Alshon Jeffery is NFL bound next year.

HA!

We need to stop the run, no doubt, but we were pretty decent in passing defense and while a DT would be nice....we need to be able to score points.

With an average QB at best being our only option for 2011, we need another receiver like Smith in his days that can "go up and grab it" when our QB puts it up.

With Smith on a downward trend, tell me someone other than AJ Green, the 6'4 college freak that is a better fit for the job of "going up and grabbing it". I can see this guy being a red-zone touchdown machine...and I don't care what anyone says, that's our biggest need by far: scoring touchdowns.

Julio Jones

I laugh at the person supporting the two option/dual threat QB's (Newton/Taylor). If we grab a QB, it will be one who thinks Pass 1st, is proven in back to back seasons, makes good decisions, good arm, and can be a leader for years to come. And I see none of the above in this years draft.

Are you going to laugh when either one lands in Carolina? I agree the F/O is going to look first at a pocket passer but there isn't a very deep QB class this year.

First of all, just because you've drafted a position doesn't mean it's filled. With that argument, we shouldn't draft a QB for another 10 or 15 years since we drafted 3 last year. Second of all, you can't count the 89 from 2010 AND 33 from 2011. It's just one player, one pick. We WOULDN'T HAVE HAD the 89th pick last year if we didn't give up the 33. So what we spent of OUR OWN COMMODITIES was last year's 78, 198, and this year's 33. Not exactly breaking the draft pick bank....

Picking Green would be idiotic.

We would have used the following picks on WR in the last two years

From 2010 draft 78, 89, 198

From 2011 draft 1, 33 (Edwards trade)

You simply can't do that. If you guys want a reciever, we are going to have to add a vet through Free Agency.

In my opinion, Fairley at #1 isn't the way to go. I wouldn't be too opposed if we found a way to trade down to like 5 or 6, someone grabs Green (poo!) then we take Fairley. But only take Fairley if Green isn't available.

First of all, Fairley is known to be a dirty player AND take plays off (I've read both opinions, not saying I know them to be true personally).

Second of all, I've watched all the videos on pretty much all the possibilities for our 1st round pick and Fairley just doesn't impress as much as most of the other options.

Picking at #1, I see two optimal options: A) Cam Newton has an awesome title game, combine, and interviews and FO truly believes he is our franchise QB for the future; or B) AJ Green.

Even though DT is a big need (2nd biggest behind QB, imo) I just don't see Fairley being as good a DT as Green is a WR. I've got ESPN Insider and all that, I've read all they have to say about the potential top picks. I don't agree with Fairley and Green being given the same number. I'd much rather see us pick Green at #1 and maybe Marvin Austin will drop to #65 than Fairley at #1 and getting Devier Posey (who?) or Greg Little in the third (just picking them cuz they're who're close to 65 in the rankings at ESPN).

Even if Austin doesn't drop, I'd feel better going Green, then DT (or OG) in the third than the other way around. I think Landri is a keeper as a penetrating DT, we just need a big body run stuffing DT. Don't need a star, just someone like Kemo to fill space (though I'd love to get a star like Ngata).

And for QB, I think we can get a stop-gap FA like Kitna, Palmer, Orton, McNabb whoever for this year and if we aren't the worst team again next year we should trade whatever picks it takes to move up to get Luck (don't like video I've seen on Barkley, especially his retarded pre-game ritual...). Otherwise, just wait for the next stud QB and trade whatever picks it takes when the opportunity arises.

In my opinion, Fairley at #1 isn't the way to go. I wouldn't be too opposed if we found a way to trade down to like 5 or 6, someone grabs Green (poo!) then we take Fairley. But only take Fairley if Green isn't available.

First of all, Fairley is known to be a dirty player AND take plays off (I've read both opinions, not saying I know them to be true personally).

Second of all, I've watched all the videos on pretty much all the possibilities for our 1st round pick and Fairley just doesn't impress as much as most of the other options.

Picking at #1, I see two optimal options: A) Cam Newton has an awesome title game, combine, and interviews and FO truly believes he is our franchise QB for the future; or B) AJ Green.

Even though DT is a big need (2nd biggest behind QB, imo) I just don't see Fairley being as good a DT as Green is a WR. I've got ESPN Insider and all that, I've read all they have to say about the potential top picks. I don't agree with Fairley and Green being given the same number. I'd much rather see us pick Green at #1 and maybe Marvin Austin will drop to #65 than Fairley at #1 and getting Devier Posey (who?) or Greg Little in the third (just picking them cuz they're who're close to 65 in the rankings at ESPN).

Even if Austin doesn't drop, I'd feel better going Green, then DT (or OG) in the third than the other way around. I think Landri is a keeper as a penetrating DT, we just need a big body run stuffing DT. Don't need a star, just someone like Kemo to fill space (though I'd love to get a star like Ngata).

Those are the 2 I'm leaning towards... I think Green/Orton would be the best route unless Cam turns out to be a better pick..

Archived