• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The importance of FA

unicar15

I'm going to go ahead and say that if we don't pick up some significant free agents this offseason then we are going to be picking in the top 3 again next year. I think there is a legitimate chance that we end up trading Steve Smith. I also think there is a good chance we don't re-sign Deangelo Williams. That said...who do we get to replace talent like that? Right now our biggest concern is clearly the QB. However, are we really going to trust Gettis, LaFell, and Edwards as our WRs?

On the defensive end we probably aren't going to have Richard Marshall. Are we really going to trust Captain Munnerlyn as a starting corner? IMO he is a good Nickel but that is about as far as he goes. There is also the Charles Johnson issue. He was our best pass rusher and I think that we SHOULD re-sign him. However, I don't know if we will.

So, take away Marshall, Williams, Smith, and possibly Charles Johnson. Who is going to take their place on this team?? There have to be SOME free agents signed or we will be drafting in the top 3 against next year...I can almost guarantee it. Hell we might be drafting in the top 3 next year even if we do address those positions simply because of the QB situation.

Rivera has a hell of a job ahead of him...

Everybody who is so concerned with us losing our own FA guys seems to forget that, when the new CBA is signed, the salary floor will be around $100 million. Based on our current numbers, we will have $30 million+ that we will HAVE to spend to comply with league rules. I'm sure JR and Hurney would much rather spend that on the likes of DWILL, CJ etc.

I also think we might make a play for Awesomewa. Marshall is going to want top-flight CB money, might as well spend that money on a top-flight corner.

I'm not too worried about re-signing our players with the exception of Richard Marshall. We're way below the salary cap as it stands, and I'm sure that will be the case when a new CBA is agreed upon. The only other player I can see leaving is DWill and that's because it will be his choice, not the organization's.

IMO Marshall is a good nickel CB but that is as far as he goes. Replacing him with Captain won't make too much of a difference

Marshall was a corner and captain was the nickel.Marshall was our best corner this year.I agree we better have a big year in FA or we will be picking the first pick again.

I am not saying bringing in old overpriced veterans but we need help in alot of positions and do not have a second round pick thanks to Hurney and company.

Everybody who is so concerned with us losing our own FA guys seems to forget that, when the new CBA is signed, the salary floor will be around $100 million. Based on our current numbers, we will have $30 million+ that we will HAVE to spend to comply with league rules. I'm sure JR and Hurney would much rather spend that on the likes of DWILL, CJ etc.

I also think we might make a play for Awesomewa. Marshall is going to want top-flight CB money, might as well spend that money on a top-flight corner.

That all depends on what the new CBA agreement entails.

Archived