• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Would you take Josh Freeman #1 overall?

unicar15

Hypothetically, if we had the chance would you take Josh Freeman with this #1 pick? The guy had 25 TDs and 6 INTs this year.

The reason I ask is because he was rated very similarly to Gabbert...maybe even thought of as more of a project than Gabbert. Here is a synopsis by one site:

Strengths: Elite frame with excellent height and in great condition ... No questions about arm strength; shows elite arm strength on 15- to 20-yard stick throws (outs, posts) ... Uses nice touch and throws a catchable ball ... Can throw the ball on the run ... Very low interception percentage from sophomore to junior year; Solid decision maker ... Nice footwork and has a quick drop ... Outstanding feel for the pass rush ... Great mobility and can gain yardage with his feet ... Extremely high upside.

Weaknesses: Accuracy was abysmal in junior year ... Locks on to receivers and shows below-average field vision ... Wildly inconsistent; runs hot and cold ... Questionable leadership ... Intangibles will go under the microscope by pro scouts who can talk to KSU players and coaches.

Summary: Freeman's physical tools makes him a near lock for the first day of the NFL Draft, because of his physical tools, with first-round potential. Personally, I would have to know more about Josh Freeman the person (character, work ethic, leadership) to give a more accurate grade. Freeman is a classic example of a Boom or Bust prospect.

Here is an exerpt from a Tampa paper before the draft:

Most likely, it'll be another veteran to push McCown and potentially replace Griese as the No. 2. But the pool of available free-agent passers isn't going to quicken many pulses.

All I have to say is if people knew what they know now about Freeman there is a very good chance he could have been the #1 overall pick. So, right now Blaine Gabbert doesn't look great because he didn't throw a ton of TDs, his accuracy is questionable, and he is relatively unknown when you compare him to a guy like Luck. But...in the past scouts have been skeptical of Freeman, Roethlisberger, Flacco, and Rodgers just to name a few. I could make a case that all four of those guys could have gone #1 in their drafts retrospectively.

Yeah of course! Any legitimate franchise QB is worth the no.1 pick. The funny thing about Freeman is that he didn't have the great resume coming out of college a lot of other successful QB's had. Dunno if that will convince us to draft a project.

Hindsight is 20/20. Anything's better than an injured Moore and starting w/ Clausen.

save that the Bucs claim they would have taken him #1, as he was the top QB on their board.

Gabbert could have gone #1 next year if Luck had come out this year and Gabbert hadn't. I know a year makes a HUGE difference, as Locker has showed us, but I am sure we'll at least look at Gabbert.

I have trouble believing they will take him, and though he could end up Freeman'ing it up some place, we should still get a decent player with the #1...

I don't trouble on people we passed over, just if the ones we picked perform.

I wouldn't. Freeman finished his rookie season with a 59.8 QB rating. Clausen's finished this season with a 58.4. Not saying he didn't improve immensely this season, because he did, but I would still rather have Brees or Ryan over Freeman, and thats just from choosing in the NFC South.

I wouldn't. Freeman finished his rookie season with a 59.8 QB rating. Clausen's finished this season with a 58.4. Not saying he didn't improve immensely this season, because he did, but I would still rather have Brees or Ryan over Freeman, and thats just from choosing in the NFC South.

heh, Freeman's rookie season may only have been 1 QB rating better but he showed off loads of potential.

Mayock was talking about the quarterbacks in the Senior bowl and he made a big point of saying the most important passes in the NFL were the 12-20 yard outs and stick routes that you had to hit in the NFL. And that college guys should be judged based on how well they can throw those routes. If you use that criteria then Freeman was a very good choice as that was one of his areas of strength. Arm strength in the NFL for those type of routes is very important according to the supposed experts.

tons of potential.he was picking us apart but threw 5 picks as well.

you expect rookies to throw picks, so that wasn't a major concern of mine. but he oozed potential... though granted I only saw him twice :D

Mayock was talking about the quarterbacks in the Senior bowl and he made a big point of saying the most important passes in the NFL were the 12-20 yard outs and stick routes that you had to hit in the NFL. And that college guys should be judged based on how well they can throw those routes. If you use that criteria then Freeman was a very good choice as that was one of his areas of strength. Arm strength in the NFL for those type of routes is very important according to the supposed experts.

funny thing is that was supposed to be Clausen's strength, too. It was the 20+ deep balls where his accuracy was questionable. he was supposed to be near perfect up to 20 yards.

you expect rookies to throw picks, so that wasn't a major concern of mine. but he oozed potential... though granted I only saw him twice :D

funny thing is that was supposed to be Clausen's strength, too. It was the 20+ deep balls where his accuracy was questionable. he was supposed to be near perfect up to 20 yards.

you do expect rooks to throw picks but the guy kept his poise and kept throwing that game.that never concerned me either but he will be kicking our ass for a while.

with those picks, he still dinked and dunked us that afternoon.

Archived