• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How do you NOT justify picking up Asomugha?

Brokenbad

I don't believe anyone posted above are/were a top tier player at the time the panthers signed them. Some of them good players yes, top tier no.

And i don't think there is a chance in hell Carolina signs Aso or Ngata.

Okay, you win. The Panthers have never signed a player through free agency that was worth a damn. JR is a cheap owner that doesn't want to pay any player. We have no chance at signing any player that will actually make a difference and the next season is already doomed.

Happy?

As to the other comment made about how those signings didn't work. Sometimes they did and sometimes they didn't. Signing Davis, Proehl and Delhomme completed the offense in 2003. Signing Kemo, Lewis, Wahle and Lucas in 05 and 06 had mixed results. Gilbert was a complete fail.

I think its hard to try and bring in a vetern FA when the team is already made up of a lot of guys who have already bonded and a great number of them were drafted by the team. When the team is very young, like the Panthers are now, they need some influx of veterns. Now is the time to do it. Not in three years when the team is already a family unit and a new FA is like a new step parent.

I'm not saying that players like Aso and Ngata will come to the Panthers or that they will even make it to FA. But to think that Hurney is setting up in an office and looks at a list of players and he tells his workers, "Don't worry about Ngata. He's too good of a player for the Panthers. We want lesser talent." is just assinine. Just don't expect five of these players like the Redskins like to do. Should the Panthers actually get Aso, thats it, no more top tier players and it will be for a position where they feel that they are struggling with in the draft room but have had a better handle in pro-scouting.

I'd like to think we could shed that label next season MVP, if there is a next season for that matter...anyway, our coaching change's might bring in some player's that it would'nt have under the last staff.

It's not as much about the players as it is the agents. Drew Rosenhaus and Marty Hurney have a great working relationship and Rosenhaus loves Jerry Richardson. A lot of other agents feel the same way. Think that doesn't go a long way in players signing in Carolina? It does and one of the reason it probably was smart for JR to keep Hurney.

1. Aso is the best in the biz...Revis isn't close

2. Why all the talk about "too expensive" and "let's sign someone cheap"...I thought the reason we sat through all the BS last year was to have money to spend this year on FA?

Not just this thread but all of them talking about guys being too expensive and we can find a cheap version. It's amazing

LOL, did anyone see all of those high priced free agents signed by both teams playing in the Super Bowl last night?? Lets see there's Woodson and...

I saw a bunch of draft picks and very, very few free agents.

Same with last years Super Bowl come to think of it....

That applies to our own guys as well that are becoming free agents...It seems everyone here wants cheap players instead of giving contracts to those that have earned it and usually the excuse is he's too expensive.

Did you see all the players that have been with each team their whole career? Most teams don't win SBs with guys only on their rookie contracts. They usually get extended or resigned at some point.

Yep. But if you could somehow get Aso on a short term contract AND pick up a Peterson in the draft...you have bargaining leverage for trading either Aso OR Gamble for more picks.

If the goal is to build from the draft, you have to have players to SELL for draft picks.

See New England Patriots.

That applies to our own guys as well that are becoming free agents...It seems everyone here wants cheap players instead of giving contracts to those that have earned it and usually the excuse is he's too expensive.

Did you see all the players that have been with each team their whole career? Most teams don't win SBs with guys only on their rookie contracts. They usually get extended or resigned at some point.

True, the Panthers need to resign all of their key free agents 1st and foremost, and draft wisely. Adding a couple of free agents here and there namely a vet quarterback and tightend. Thats the game plan i would take but wtf, i'm not NFL GM.

1. Aso is the best in the biz...Revis isn't close

2. Why all the talk about "too expensive" and "let's sign someone cheap"...I thought the reason we sat through all the BS last year was to have money to spend this year on FA?

Not just this thread but all of them talking about guys being too expensive and we can find a cheap version. It's amazing

The fact that hat you think Aso is a better DB than Revis is solid proof that you should just stop posting.

The fact that hat you think Aso is a better DB than Revis is solid proof that you should just stop posting.

Aso literally shuts down half the field. They don't even bother throwing his way.

Revis got owned by Moss and pulls up with an "injured" hammy. Signs a huge deal then says he's probably going to hold out again before it's over. A lot of Revis' picks aren't even due to great coverage. Both that he had against us were not because of his talent. Smitty had him beat deep and Jake underthrew it for an easy pick and the other bounced off Smitty's shoe.

Nnamdi > Revis every day and twice on Sundays.

Here's my question. The Panthers philosophy is to build through the draft and rarely, if ever, hire proven free agents. I guess this is a expense thing but if the NFL implements a salary cap on rookies do you think that would change the philosophy? Just never understood the entire reason for avoiding free agents.

Archived