• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Players of interest / Offseason Cuts

Mr. Scot

Summarizing, listing only players that have actually been cut already:

(original post is quoted just a few posts down)

OL Edwin Mulitalo, Lions: The guy that probably makes the most sense

WR Mike Furrey, Lions: Possible as a replacement for DJ Hackett

CB Chris McAlister, Ravens: Injured a lot over the past few seasons

WR Jerry Porter, Jaguars: hasn't looked the same since leaving Oakland

LB Morlon Greenwood, Texans: Richard Smith might like him, but we already have a player like him in Na'il Diggs

RB Alex Haynes, Broncos: Another shot for the former practice squadder? In camp, maybe.

WR Marty Booker, Bears: Used to be decent; these days, not so much

RB Deuce McAllister, Saints: Age and a possible steroid suspension point to a 'no'

DT Dwayne Robertson, Broncos: A position of need, but has been underwhelming and overpriced

DE John Engelberger, Broncos: Not as strong as he was expected to be when drafted

LB Jamie Winborn, Broncos: Probably on the downside of his career

TE Nate Jackson, Broncos: Likely too many injury issues

LB Niko Koutouvides, Broncos: Had back problems last year; those can kill a football career (wasn't a starter anyway)

S Marquand Manuel, Broncos: We already had him and let him go

CB Dre Bly, Broncos: Has a rep as a solid corner, but I've never believed he was as good as advertised. The fact that the Broncos took a salary cap hit to cut him should be a red flag.

WR Ronald Curry, Raiders: previously very good, but a case of the dropsies of late; Raider curse?

QB Damon Huard, Chiefs: A few years ago people wanted him to replace Delhomme, then he came out for the next season and looked awful

LB Donnie Edwards, Chiefs: Not a position where we need help, older guy anyway

TE Mike Merritt, Chiefs: Largely unseen, which is no great surprise given who he plays behind; had a recent marijuana arrest where he made a fool of himself

DB Patrick Surtain, Chiefs: Has been a solid player, but to give you an idea of his age, he was drafted with a second round pick traded to the Dolphins from the Panthers to get back into the first round the tear after the Sean Gilbert deal

WR Marvin Harrison, Colts: Possibly the biggest surprise cut in a long time; as prolific a receiver as you'll find, but injuries and character issues have crept in over the past few seasons; personally, I'd pass at this point, as amazing as that sounds to say

LB Derrick Brooks, Buccaneers: Well known name, Hall of Fame career, but now up there in age and LB is not a need position

RB Warrick Dunn, Buccaneers: One of the best people in the league,; would love to have had him a few years ago

LB Cato June, Buccaneers: People will make the connect with Ron Meeks, but he was at his best in a speedy, undersized defense that was built primarily to defend the pass

WR Ike Hilliard, Buccaneers: Was never that special; doubt the Panthers would be interested

WR Trent Green, Rams: Has looked awful over the past few seasons

WR Drew Bennett, Rams: Tall former QB who has been good as a converted WR (Joe Jurevicius type) but best years likely behind him

T Ephraim Salaam, Texans: Another Mulitalo type, but I think Mulitalo is better

FS Will Demps, Texans: Former Raven if I remember right; once good but may have fallen off

DE Anthony Weaver, Texans: Was good in Rex Ryan's Raven defense but disappeared with the Texans; in his case and other former Texans input could be gained from new LB coach Richard Smith

S Roy Williams, Cowboys: Having a rule named after you is not a good thing

WR Joe Jurevicius, Browns: a player I've always liked; would love to have had him a few years ago; these days, not likely

T Orlando Pace, Rams: starting line is set, and I seriously doubt he'd sign to be depth; word is he may end up with the Ravens

WR Matt Jones, Jaguars: there's a greater chance of John Kasay making a gangsta rap video than there is of the Panthers signing Matt Jones

CB Mike McKenzie, Saints: Never quite duplicated the success he had with the Packers in New Orleans, but has had his moments; doubt he gets a look given the cap and the team's seeming willingness to go with the top CBs we have (Gamble, Marshall, Wilson)

DE Jason Taylor, Redskins: the ideal Peppers replacement; some say yes, others say no; in truth he might turn out to be just that, but it might be for the Patriots

WR Torry Holt, Rams: fans love the idea, and it makes a load of sense given how good a red zone receiver he can be, but the Observer says it will never happen

As much as we really do need a corner, I don't really see us going out onto the market to get one. Of course, I could be totally wrong. But if we were to pick someone up, it would be someone that would probably be the 3rd guy. And thats only if/when we cut Lucas. I like the Orlando Pace idea because he's a Vet, but like you said, probably only realistic if we weren't planning on resigning Gross.

Names listed as possible cuts that I could see taking interest in:

OL Edwin Mulitalo, Lions

Could serve as a veteran backup/utility guy if we were to lose Geoff Hangartner. As a bit of trivia, he was a starting tackle for the Ravens on opening day 2002, meaning he was the first guy ever to face the challenge of then-rookie Panthers DE Julius Peppers.

(he said after the game "Glad I faced him when he was just starting out")

CB/S Patrick Surtain, Chiefs

Another guy with a Panther connection of sorts. He was originally drafted by the Dolphins with a 2nd rounder that was traded from the Panthers to move back into the first round. This was because their original pick for that year had gone to the Redskins as part of the Sean Gilbert fiasco.

Surtain was once a pretty decent DB, so the name interest me but I don't know how good he's been the past few years. I know talk is he's being released for cap reasons. If he's still up there, he's potentially a replacement for Ken Lucas.

If Pat Yasinskas is right though, available DBs won't matter much. He said in his recent chat that other than cutting Ken Lucas and backfilling with Richard Marshall and C J Wilson, the team won't be making many changes in the secondary this offseason.

OL Orlando Pace, Rams

Could realistically only see this if it was fairly certain we were losing Jordan Gross, and even then only as a stopgap. People know the name, but he isn't what he once was (and probably hasn't been for years). Packers UFA Mark Tauscher is another guy I could see as a stopgap if Gross were lost.

S Michael Huff, Raiders

Huff has been kind of a bust with the Raiders, but still, it's the Raiders. Tyler Brayton didn't look great over there either. Ditto Randy Moss. That said, we don't really have an opening for a starter at either safety spot, and I doubt he'd sign as depth when some other team likely will offer him a starting role.

CB Justin Miller, Raiders

My read on him is that he's more valuable these days as a special teamer/return man these days. Might not be higher than third or fourth corner on the depth chart. Still, with Lucas likely gone and Wilson possibly moving up, it's a thought. Combination CB/returner/special teamer was what they wanted in Ricardo Colclough before he made the dumbass move of getting a DUI the night before final roster cuts.

Couple others:

WR Mike Furrey and CB Leigh Bodden, both Lions, have been discussed in prior threads. Either one could arguably be worth a look, but I don't know how much the team is scouting those positions. Furrey has had his moments and he's be cheaper to acquire than Anquan Boldin, but even at his best he's also nowhere near as good. TE Dan Campbell, a big primarily blocking TE like Fox prefers, is likely out of there too but I think he's had injury issues.

FYI: A lot of Lions are hitting the streets because new GM Martin Mayhew is doing a "roster purge". The Lions rep aside, some of these guys are still worth a look.

Of the names listed here, my instinct is that Edwin Mulitalo seems the most reasonable and realistic possibility. Justin Miller is conceivable. The rest could be worth a look depending on how some situations play out.

Other names of interest will undoubtedly surface over time.

Wouldn't mind Mulitalo as a backup at G on the OL for Vincent or Wharton. Hangartner may walk as a FA and we could use the depth. Additionally, we don't know how long Vincent is going to hold up with the recurring groin problems he's had the last two years and I would be suprised if Bridges is cut at some point with the off-field issues he's had.

Justin Miller is intriguing for depth at DB and a potential return man. I think we could bring him aboard at a reasonable price also.

also all the teams swiching to 3-4 this year may be looking to move out some of their 4-3 guys.

Aaron Kampman has been discussed as a trade possibility in that regard.

Green Bay wants to move him to OLB. There are questions as to whether he's agreeable to that.

S Michael Huff, Raiders

Huff has been kind of a bust with the Raiders, but still, it's the Raiders. Tyler Brayton didn't look great over there either. Ditto Randy Moss. That said, we don't really have an opening for a starter at either safety spot, and I doubt he'd sign as depth when some other team likely will offer him a starting role.

Brayton was good in Oakland, just they kept switching him from DE to OLB and then back, so he never got to be in one position consistently.

Huff was pretty sick his rookie year from what I remember and he hasn't done much since. I wish we could get him.

A name I have not heard that could be a 1-2 year insurance policy for Delhomme is Charlie Batch. His contract is up I believe and the Steelers have a Byron Leftwitch in their QB rotation. Batch has about the same amount of years as Delhomme left in the tank and I think could help out if Jake needs to take a rest.

Others:

Shaun McDonald WR Lions

Jermain Philips DB Bucs (Unsure of his current status but would love to see us take a look at him)

Jonathan Babineaux DL ATL (He could be a solid backup)

i like huff and think he can be a player... but please tell me where he would fit in our D?

the only thing i can think of as a decent shot is if CGod is moved to corner... but as much work as he put in and our recent attempts at moving players from one position to another, i say nay... but he could be a solid pick up if we needed it....

Mike Furrey, WR, cut by the Lions.

We need a 3rd, he's a helluva lot better than Hackett, of course, that would not be hard.

Have you given up on Jarrett as our third receiver?

Hackett is so cheap, it would be stupid not to keep him as a fourth receiver. We’re also bringing back Ryne Robinson and have yet to really see what Jason Carter can do.

Honestly, I don’t know of many teams that have as many quality receivers as we do. We may not use them, but we’ve got them.

On a side note, I feel like something is going to happen today. Not sure what, but I’ve got that feeling. :)

Archived