• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

ESPN's 10-year piece on The Day

Matt Foley

Is the a different program than what they were showing on speed or is it the same??

The feature they played on speed was also really good and emotional as well .. i kinda over looked how hard it was on schrader but i couldn't imagine being the 1st guy to drop down dales window net and seeing what he saw.

Was it speculation or truth about his seatbeat being mounted incorrectly? ? Which ended up being a big contributing factor?? I heard both the people at simpson ( which is now impact ) and nascar pointing fingers at each other

Earnhardt liked his belts a certain way and wore a helmet without a visor. No one had the balls to tell him otherwise.

It looked like such an innocent wreck. Still can't believe that killed him.

that's what I thought too...but they said it had to do alot with the fact that he hit the wall and then was hit on the side so close to each other that it twisted him sideways.

that's what I thought too...but they said it had to do alot with the fact that he hit the wall and then was hit on the side so close to each other that it twisted him sideways.

That's what I always heard too...that the hit in the passenger side moved him so that when he hit the wall it moved his head more than it would have otherwise.

That ESPN piece was good... this happened back when I watched a lot of NASCAR and was watching that race.

I've watched most of this race today... it's still pretty meh... I bet Dale Sr. would still be out there banging these young guys in the wall. I would have loved to hear what he had to say about these young punks like the Bush bros and others.

Was it speculation or truth about his seatbeat being mounted incorrectly? ? Which ended up being a big contributing factor?? I heard both the people at simpson ( which is now impact ) and nascar pointing fingers at each other

Bill Simpson resigned as the president of Simpson Performance Products when NASCAR needed to find a scapegoat for Earnhardt's death. Simpson has long been known for having the best stuff on the market and, despite evidence that indicated the seatbelt was incorrectly mounted, the fact Earnhardt didn't wear a neck or head restraint device and the fact he wouldn't wear a visor or full face helmet, Simpson was still blamed for #3's death.

I'm not a NASCAR fan by any stretch and I don't even consider it to be a sport, but I read a lot about the story because a lot of it made no sense to me. I know a lot of people in NASCAR and I've met many drivers and a lot of the "other guys" (pit crews, media, track execs) and the information I heard was pretty hard to stomach.

Dale Earnhardt died in that wreck because of his own choice to alter the design specs of the seatbelt system by mounting it in a different location. He wanted it this way because it was more comfortable to drive while sitting so low in the seat. NASCAR was also to blame because they did nothing each and every time they inspected his cars and found the seatbelt issue.

Archived