• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

"No Progress Towards New Contract with Gross"

PanthersFanNY

too brutal a sport, a lot of players will spend a lot of money on medical cost after they retire due to injuries from playing. A lot of ex players suffer from neck, spine and brain problems (concussion syndrome and such). You could easily say that a player, not took in the top 6 or so could easily spend there entire rookie contract on those medical cost. Add on top of that, Rookie contract first 2 or 3 years (unless incentives are hit) are really low with a low amount of guaranteed money and are typically back loaded with money the player never sees.

My relatives have spent a lot of money on medical costs (ok, maybe it isn't neck spine and brain most of the time) and they don't even play sports.

They work under much better conditions than most of us here, actually. They have highly trained medical and training staff to assist them in reducing injuries and recovering from said injuries.

Anyway, I see the point, and it brings me to my next question: why do baseball players get paid so much money? :confused:

My relatives have spent a lot of money on medical costs (ok, maybe it isn't neck spine and brain most of the time) and they don't even play sports.

They work under much better conditions than most of us here, actually. They have highly trained medical and training staff to assist them in reducing injuries and recovering from said injuries.

Anyway, I see the point, and it brings me to my next question: why do baseball players get paid so much money? :confused:

I couldn't tell you why Baseball and basketball players make so much money........ Guess it deals with that fact that the players are more marketable then In football. that would be my only guess.

But really, if your boss offered you a crazy amount of money, would you turn it down?

Nope. And if that happened, the rest of the country can die for all I care. :ihih:

OK, maybe I exaggerated, but if I got offered a lot of money to do any job, screw everybody else; I gotta look out for me sometimes.

I couldn't tell you why Baseball and basketball players make so much money........ Guess it deals with that fact that the players are more marketable then In football. that would be my only guess.

Basketball players are more marketable, but football is a bigger market... so... dunno.

The "Let's freak out cause there isn't any news even though there doesn't need to be for awhile yet" group needs to have their new thread making option removed. :lol:

So the fact that they've been trying to negotiate a long term deal for over a year doesn't concern you? I'm calling bullshit on that. They have 10 days to do what they've been trying to do for over 365. I'm kinda worried.

USUALLY, franchises try to lock up their core players with at least a year left on their deal and they have tried to do that it seems. It is obvious from the fact that it has been stated for a couple years that they consider Gross one of those types of players yet they can't come to an agreement and it's going down to the wire...yes it is a concern.

So the fact that they've been trying to negotiate a long term deal for over a year doesn't concern you? I'm calling bullsh*t on that. They have 10 days to do what they've been trying to do for over 365. I'm kinda worried.
No, I don't worry about the past.

You go ahead....freak out, I'm sure it'll make everything better.

Do I think Gross needs a new contract? You bet! But I'm not going to worry about it day to day ~ there is no point. It's either going to get done, or it won't. We won't know until that day comes. Am I a bit worried he may not remain a Panther? There is that possibility, but I'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

The point is, there has been a thread about Gross about every other day. And in each thread, people are over reacting, making assumptions, and worse.

I'm not part of that crowd. Nor do I ever plan to be.

The thing about this is also, if we franchised Gross he still may not sign with us next year.

If we can't sign Gross I believe it would be a safer bet to franchise Peppers and trade him for picks.

I say this because tagging Gross will land him here one more year yes, but after that? We would be right back where we are now.

I am with PClaw on this one, either he signs or he doesnt. The longer this goes I personally feel he wants to test the market. Ok so go test it. Franchise and trade peppers and start looking for LT's in the draft. That is all this franchise can do.

Moving Otah may very well be a possibility as well.(the the Left)

It would be easier to find a replacement RT if Otah did well at LT.

I don't really prefer this because I would like to see this team keep a consistent line, but all the options are open really at this point.

Give the man what he wants. If we find that next season he isn't worth the money anymore, then trade him too. But we have to franchise Peppers. His stock just went up a few points at the Pro Bowl and we need those picks. Keep the O line solidified and build through the draft. Get it done Hurney.

Archived