• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cam Newton to have "private meeting" with J.R.

Catalyst

FINALLY, someone in the media says what I've been trying to convince the haters of for weeks now. The VY/Russell comparisons are all about race. There's just no other explanation for it because anyone who looks deeper with an objective eye has to realize Newton is not the same numbskull that both those guys are.

Not about race-about character and attitude. If it were about race, I would hate 70% of the team. I compared CN to Brian Bozworth and Ryan Leaf too. It is not even about QB to me.

If people think that was the real Cam Newton up there then I have oceeanfront property in Tennessee for sale.

About the visit with JR--He has met with potential picks in the past. He is taking more of a "hands on" approach this year. Because it is with hype-master Newton, it is a story.

This is the time of year when news is minimal so writers find the pockets of interest and exploit them.

You said what Mallett should have done if falsely accused of doing coke. Well, I heard a reporter ask Cam about 4 counts of academic cheating, possession of a stolen computer, and stealing from teammates' lockers. His response?

Put Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Warren Moon, Drew Brees, Matt Ryan, etc. beside Cam on the podium and I doubt "intelligent" is the adjective that comes to mind about Cam Newton. He read a prepared statement. He referred to notes. He was obviously coached on what to say. In fact, he had slips that people did not comment on--yet.

If the Panthers sign Newton, which I would call a longshot or an act of desperation and proof that JR has gone off the deep end, then I will support him. But he is not (arguably) the best QB in a weak group.

IF I am JR, I would discuss the character issues with him. I would not take the rehearsed answers. I would ask him questions that he was asked months earlier about these things and see if he is consistent and truly remorseful.

Let's say they decide to draft him. I would draw up the contract and there would be escape clauses for character violations. Signing bonus money would be strictly limited. I would even have clauses in the contract that compensate the panthers if any more news about his past that would be detrimental to his image and that of the team surfaces, giving him the opportunity for full, honest, sincere disclosure up front.

You see, if he comes here and is great, which is unlikely unless he changes mentally and physically, then there will always be a cloud over the team. Sure he has the John Edwards smile now, but he has a lot of baggage. I pray we go another direction, and I am a loyal fan.

When he goes to Minnesota or Miami or Cincinnati, watch how his ego and self-promotion returns to form. You will all realize that you were drunk on the nectar of false hope that the desperation of 2-14 causes. :confused:

The lockerroom is VERY important. Build my team around the Beasons of the world. Character is hard to change.

IF I am JR, I would discuss the character issues with him. I would not take the rehearsed answers. I would ask him questions that he was asked months earlier about these things and see if he is consistent and truly remorseful.

Let's say they decide to draft him. I would draw up the contract and there would be escape clauses for character violations. Signing bonus money would be strictly limited. I would even have clauses in the contract that compensate the panthers if any more news about his past that would be detrimental to his image and that of the team surfaces, giving him the opportunity for full, honest, sincere disclosure up front.

You see, if he comes here and is great, which is unlikely unless he changes mentally and physically, then there will always be a cloud over the team. Sure he has the John Edwards smile now, but he has a lot of baggage. I pray we go another direction, and I am a loyal fan.

When he goes to Minnesota or Miami or Cincinnati, watch how his ego and self-promotion returns to form. You will all realize that you were drunk on the nectar of false hope that the desperation of 2-14 causes. :confused:

The lockerroom is VERY important. Build my team around the Beasons of the world. Character is hard to change.

There is nothing. NOTHING to suggest he is a problem in the locker room. There is nothing, NOTHING to suggest he doesn't have the work ethic he needs.

Again some blurbs on Cam:

"You're trying to figure someone out when you first meet him," Ziemba said. "Every little thing they do is critiqued. As soon as he got here, it took him no time at all to become one of [us]."

During winter workouts, Newton so impressed his offensive teammates in the weight room that they named him -- a quarterback -- to a five-man tug-of-war team to take on the defense. The offense won.

"For me, I really wanted to go into Auburn and earn everything that I got with the team respect, trying to be that leader on this football team," Newton said. "And I knew it was a price I had to pay."

This one is key to me:

Ziemba remembers seeing Newton over the summer. Players put a great deal of stock in how hard a teammate works when there's no coach forcing him to do it.

"He was in the rain, throwing passes on the weekend when we were at the lake," Ziemba said. "He was dragging receivers out there with him. That kind of work ethic prepared our guys to follow him."

The coaches saw that work ethic. They took note of how the players responded to Newton.

"They really believe in him," Malzahn said. "That's really one of the main reasons he won the job. In the spring, we saw that. They really trust him. So his leadership is definitely a big reason we're here."

That is not Jamarcus Russell type feedback.

They carried Cam off the field after the championship. Those guys would not have done that for a bad teammate or prima donna.

FINALLY, someone in the media says what I've been trying to convince the haters of for weeks now. The VY/Russell comparisons are all about race. There's just no other explanation for it because anyone who looks deeper with an objective eye has to realize Newton is not the same numbskull that both those guys are.

You are a dip poo if you think race has anything to do with it. He stole the laptop, he stole from fellow players (came up yesterday), reports are he was in the room when his dad took the money, the guy was about to get booted from Florida for academic cheating.

What does that have to do with being black?

Bottom line, the guy isn't worth #1, #3, #5 or whatever. One hit wonder at the D1 level, can't read defenses, is a one read then run QB which never works in the NFL, and comes from the worst offense in college ball (outside of the triple option) in getting a guy ready for the NFL. That has nothing to do with being black.

Only the most worthless POS's would tab this as a racist thing.

As for as meeting with Richardson? No poo Sherlock? top teams have several players in every year, its allowed. Hey guess what? In a month or so we will hear that the panthers are negotiating with his agent...and about 3 others they think about drafting. It means jack poo.

There is nothing. NOTHING to suggest he is a problem in the locker room. There is nothing, NOTHING to suggest he doesn't have the work ethic he needs.

Again some blurbs on Cam:

This one is key to me:

That is not Jamarcus Russell type feedback.

They carried Cam off the field after the championship. Those guys would not have done that for a bad teammate or prima donna.

Haters going to hate. If you want to ? his Football IQ or even his character because of the offense he played I can understand that (even though I think he has a high FB IQ and most of his transgressions happened almost 3 years ago when he was right out of HS) but to ? his work ethic at this time with all the glowing reviews he has gotten is ignorant and plain hate.

Everything you hear suggests he is a model teammate and leader.

You are a dip poo if you think race has anything to do with it. He stole the laptop, he stole from fellow players (came up yesterday), reports are he was in the room when his dad took the money, the guy was about to get booted from Florida for academic cheating.

What does that have to do with being black?

Bottom line, the guy isn't worth #1, #3, #5 or whatever. One hit wonder at the D1 level, can't read defenses, is a one read then run QB which never works in the NFL, and comes from the worst offense in college ball (outside of the triple option) in getting a guy ready for the NFL. That has nothing to do with being black.

Only the most worthless POS's would tab this as a racist thing.

As for as meeting with Richardson? No poo Sherlock? top teams have several players in every year, its allowed. Hey guess what? In a month or so we will hear that the panthers are negotiating with his agent...and about 3 others they think about drafting. It means jack poo.

Oh really well then why do all the media continue to compare him to Russel, Vick and VY when he is nothing like them. He reminds me of a faster Big Ben as far as on the field but Newton is just one of a kind. I don't think there has every been a QB who you could compare him to without one of those little revisions. I think it has more to do with being a dual-threat QB in college then about purely race but I do believe it has something to do with the comparisons.

Haters going to hate. If you want to ? his Football IQ or even his character because of the offense he played I can understand that (even though I think he has a high FB IQ and most of his transgressions happened almost 3 years ago when he was right out of HS) but to ? his work ethic at this time with all the glowing reviews he has gotten is ignorant and plain hate.

Everything you hear suggests he is a model teammate and leader.

Model team mates steal from other players lockers? did you miss him ducking that question of him stealing from 4 other players lockers?

Look lets bottom line this, you nut huggers are nothing but madden players that have never coached so I really try to be patient with you guys, but this is now beyond old. This kid is a flash in the pan and nothing more. Every year there is at least one. This kid is NOT the next greatest thing and some team (and I pray its not Carolina or Buffalo) is going to lose a ton of time and money on this kid.

You cant change a mans' true character, you just can't. Read the Scorpion and the turtle story, Cam is what he is and spread throughout his history his true character shows and I don't want him on either of my two teams.

Model team mates steal from other players lockers? did you miss him ducking that question of him stealing from 4 other players lockers?

Look lets bottom line this, you nut huggers are nothing but madden players that have never coached so I really try to be patient with you guys, but this is now beyond old. This kid is a flash in the pan and nothing more. Every year there is at least one. This kid is NOT the next greatest thing and some team (and I pray its not Carolina or Buffalo) is going to lose a ton of time and money on this kid.

You cant change a mans' true character, you just can't. Read the Scorpion and the turtle story, Cam is what he is and spread throughout his history his true character shows and I don't want him on either of my two teams.

No you can't I agree with that but I guess you must be God or have played with him because I'm going by what his teammates have said at his last 2 stops. Not on baseless speculation.

And where exactly have you coached? HS? I guess we should bow to your never ending knowledge of the game.

Archived