• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Mortensen: If there is no new CBA teams cannot trade future draft picks

teeray

RT @lde857: @mortreport @Micah_J_D Next year's draft is not provided for in expired CBA. So can't trade next yr's picks w/o new CBA.

I was not aware of this. I put it in another thread as well but thought I would put in here and ask if this changes anyone's desire to trade back in this draft?

I think it will make it more difficult to do it personally because it would likely take too much of another team's current draft picks to make the move.

Doesn't mean it can't/won't happen but it does change the dynamic some when you are considering trading the pick.

There is a lot of conflicting info out there so I am not sure what is correct. Hopefully there will be some clarification at some point.

Panther81 has anyone replied to you on twitter??

Not yet. Might ask around pretty soon cuz this kind of a big deal if it's 100% fact.

Not yet. Might ask around pretty soon cuz this kind of a big deal if it's 100% fact.

it is a huge deal. I had thought that Gantt or someone else had previously said you could trade future picks. But I'm too lazy to search for that.

A Pittsburgh reporter had this to say, and appears to have checked with the GM of the Steelers (Kevin Colbert) about it:

--- YOU: In your blog post today you said you didn't think teams would be able to trade for future picks because there's no 2012 draft in the CBA. But teams have already traded away 2012 picks in past years (for example, Oakland traded their 4th round pick in 2012 to Washington for Jason Campbell). I never thought about it before your post this morning, but this seems weird. Why would the NFL let teams trade something that technically doesn't even exist? What's to keep the Steelers from trading some magical pixie dust for Darren McFadden if they could get Al Davis to agree to it?

ME: Ever try to get Al Davis to agree to anything? My thinking was right but the facts turned out to be wrong. I checked and they can trade future picks even though they do not know what the future will be. Kevin Colbert agreed with me that it is unknown what will happen and that it might be a crap shoot. Let’s say you trade a pick this year for a future sixth or seventh rounder and they reduce the draft to just five. You are fat out of luck is what you are if you “acquired” a sixth or seventh round pick.

from: http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/108526-ed-steelers-can-trade-future-picks

I don't understand how you can't trade future picks. Teams have already traded picks in 2012. I think there is no guarantee you GET those picks, but I think you can conditionally trade them. Aka, if there is a 2012 draft, you would get our first rounder if we have one.

Archived