• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Today's office debate

Hawk

or maybe this is just Hawk's vent...not sure yet!

I'm all for equality etc when it comes to hiring and promotions etc, but if a company that prides itself on being a leader in diversity etc starts publishing targets, isn't that a little backwards?

So you are talking about the company that you work for then....

yes, that does seem a bit contradictory but you need to further elaborate

yes...the place I currently am. They pride themselves on being an equal opportunity company and they spend loads of money on diversity training and say they are a world leader in equal rights etc.

but, then they go ahead on publish new targets on hiring saying they will hire X amount of females, X amount of minorities and set guidelines for promotions of same etc. They actually also have a Rooney Rule in place now as well.

yes...the place I currently am. They pride themselves on being an equal opportunity company and they spend loads of money on diversity training and say they are a world leader in equal rights etc.

but, then they go ahead on publish new targets on hiring saying they will hire X amount of females, X amount of minorities and set guidelines for promotions of same etc. They actually also have a Rooney Rule in place now as well.

Here's something worse. A co-worker of mine in a previous position, was responsible for doing a lot of firing. And the way it worked out is corporate would pass down an order, like "your department needs to cut 5 people." He actually had to do a racial breakdown to make sure the layoffs didn't seem discriminatory. If the least qualified people were all of the same race, he had to lay off a more qualified person (and often a much more qualified person) of a different race just so he could make sure the company couldn't be sued for discrimination.

Any company that 'prides' itself on being diverse is full of poo. Do it because you're not a racist pos, not so you have a new marketing angle. IMO if a company has a good track record then they shouldn't feel threatened by discrimination lawsuits. The burden of proof is on the employee.

I saw a special on Wal Mart and they never mentioned this....

hawk don't get me started. this is easily one of my biggest pet peeves.

the insanity that goes on because of trying to me quota's. i'm seeing entire business channels suffer all because of this.

the irony is there are certainly better qualified minorities(non white male) in a company but mgmt doesn't see them or that group is cool with where they are at.

so they literally will plug someone off the street into a role, to simply say hey look, we are diverse yo.

STUPID

Archived