• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I do not want Newton, Do you?

Ashor

To be honest, If we had the #1 pick last year, I think the entire board would be split on Bradford also. His injury would have been brought up constantly, and some would have claimed that he'd definitely be a bust and would set the panthers back 40 years.

Do you want to draft Cam Newton?

I am so surprised as to how many people are on the Newton bandwagon. He is not a championship quarterback because he is not a pure passer.

Steve Young was not a pure passer, and so isn't Big Ben. So how do you figure?

Clausen isn't the answer. I do believe he'll improve with the new staff, but I saw more than enough last year to know he'll never be an elite QB. I believe Cam has that potential. He may not be a "pure pocket passer" but neither is Aaron Rodgers.

Newton ran a run-first offense at Auburn, but when he was being recruited out of high school he was a pure pocket passer who had to convince scouts he could run.

There's absolutely ZERO question in my mind that he's got the physical ability to be an elite NFL QB. Can he adjust to the NFL as far as learning a pro offense and reading defenses? Can he get his footwork down? All valid questions, but I believe he can and that his potential is worth taking the big risk on.

To even compare Cam "Run Now" Newton to Aaron Rodgers is ludicrous.

How stupid do you have to be to be convinced that Cam is all of a sudden going to stop running the football and become a pocket passer that only uses his size to evade defenders in the pocket, ala Roethlisberger.

Cam will be Michael Vick without the speed.

I got on board with Clausen because I felt he had real potential. I don't feel the same about Cam. I think he is a huge project and will take 3 to 4 years to develop. I feel Clausen got a bum deal with the injuries to the Oline, rookie WR's, not getting developed properly because Moore got all starter reps in training camp, and then being thrust in so early in the season.

I say draft Dareus, name Clausen the starter and give him all of training camp and play him a lot in preseason and give him 1 more season to prove himself and next year make a move on a QB. Also, bring in a vet to groom him. All he had last year as a mentor was Moore with a total of 8 starts.

If he bombs, chop his nuts off and start over. We drafted 3 QB's last year. Clausen, Edwards and Pike. We don't need to draft another one with the #1 overall pick this year.

To be honest, If we had the #1 pick last year, I think the entire board would be split on Bradford also. His injury would have been brought up constantly, and some would have claimed that he'd definitely be a bust and would set the panthers back 40 years.

I would have been 100% on board with Bradford!

"We picked a bad year to have a bad year."

How is running the ball over 20 times in a game a question mark?

because you cant run as a QB 20 times in game and last a whole season. you have to be a pocket passer, not a guy who runs when he sees his first guy covered, Vick tried running alot in his Atlanta days and people figured out how to beat them and Newton's not as fast as Vick.

Those runs were oviously by design,blame the coach not the player. On pass plays he only ran 11% of the time.

yeah that is true, but that doesnt help his growth as a QB coming from an offense that had him designed to run over 20 times. i feel he would need as much time on the bench as The Golden Calf of Bristol had last year.

To even compare Cam "Run Now" Newton to Aaron Rodgers is ludicrous.

i agree that the comparison isnt right either. Rodgers is faster than Newton and runs when he has to, not sure on Newton yet because he never played a down in the NFL.

This thread would have been more understandable if the OP had compared Newton to Vince Young.

Neither QBs are extremely fast or have superior pocket passing skills or read defenses all that great.

Yet somehow, they are considered to be some kind of "total package".

I would have been 100% on board with Bradford!

"We picked a bad year to have a bad year."

Me too.

Just saying though, I believe the fan base would be divided no matter what. Whichever year, whichever qb is available, it's just how things are. The #1 overall pick makes most of us think too hard about a decision that isn't even ours to make.

Rodgers is one of the best passers in the NFL. He's mobile but he is not a tuck and run QB at all.

Rodgers takes off more than any QB in the league outside of Vick. You guys try to downplay all the rushing yards he picks up because he kills your "only stiff pocket passers win Super Bowls theories". Rodgers is a running QB in a WCO.

because you cant run as a QB 20 times in game and last a whole season. you have to be a pocket passer, not a guy who runs when he sees his first guy covered, Vick tried running alot in his Atlanta days and people figured out how to beat them and Newton's not as fast as Vick.

yeah that is true, but that doesnt help his growth as a QB coming from an offense that had him designed to run over 20 times. i feel he would need as much time on the bench as The Golden Calf of Bristol had last year.

i agree that the comparison isnt right either. Rodgers is faster than Newton and runs when he has to, not sure on Newton yet because he never played a down in the NFL.

Few points to make. If the coach ask you to run 20 times a game because your good at it,what are you going to say no? Just because your asked to do one thing doesn't mean you can't do another. As far as the vick thing goes,i don't call making it to the playoffs the majority of the time a bad thing. If defenses figured out how to be him,he wouldn't have been in the nfc championship.

The Golden Calf of Bristol did sit behind a superior passer all season. but he did see action in a few early games i feel newton can come in and do some of the same things early.

Archived