• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What will make the draft exciting for you?

Brokenbad

Hopefully my night will run down like this...

-taking Newton 1st overall

-Me = dukie.gif

-pull out droid and post umad.gif for the haters on the Huddle

-Draft party sippin' on Coconut Ciroc with my ex girl who stays in Charlotte

-Drunk sex w/ the ex

Nobody will be mad Millions...get that into your head bro.

Yeah, just having the draft is exciting compared to the trifling and legal posturing we've been enduring.

Regarding our draft specifically, offensive firepower is what I feel adds excitement. The Fox era is over, and I want to come to understand the new team identity under Rivera. How exactly will Panthers players be different as actors?

AJ Green would make Clausen or Pike better, just like Shockey will. Green is the best at his position and worthy of top 5. It wasn't really our style to draft a WR this early, but what is our new style? I feel very strongly that unless the player we pick is an instant lock at starting his position, then we have failed in the draft. The money we will pay demands it.

Cam Newton would definitely be an exciting pick, because we know our division rivals won't know what to expect. And neither would I, so I'd be filled with anxiety. Seems like his simple presence would fill seats out of curiosity for at least a few games. But, some of the fanatics that love him most just seem to simply take for granted that Newton would perform better than both Clausen and Pike on Day 1. That seems like an unfair expectation to me, so I wonder what would happen to their fanaticism if he isn't? We assume Otah and Wharton will both return healthy, but what if the unaddressed 2011/12 offensive line still sucks, and Newton doesn't absolutely distinguish himself from the others? Not only might we be worse than 2/14, but we might still have no clue which of our QBs deserves a roster spot!!!!! Exciting isn't the word for that.

Blaine Gabbert is simply not as exciting as Newton, even if he is more mature and more accurate. I would still be a fan of his, if he turns out to be our man, but I'm just not feeling it yet. Would have to be convinced.

Patrick Peterson is said to be the best player in the draft, and he would almost certainly start. Peterson could be secured for less guaranteed money at first pick overall than AJ Green too. Less exciting, but a solid pick. That's why I think he has a real chance being our man, he is likely to be worth the money, likely to start, likely to be a playmaker for the long haul.

Donovan Darius or Nick Fairley. Either or, IMHO. Not particularly exciting, but most likely to play well in the 2011/2012 season. Most likely to be worth their salary immediately. All players require practice, tape study, playbook learning etc, but linemen are the most likely to be able to "wing it" and use their physical traits alone to compete. In a year that promises to deliver 32 totally unprepared football teams iun game 1, this is a safe pick. Safe is not exciting, but it'd be an economic victory.

I would be happiest trading down. That ain't exciting either, but it's what I think has the best chance to make us a better team in the shortest time....assuming that the trade offer is decent. I wouldn't be averse to ignoring the "awesome opportunity" created by making a fool of ourselves in the 2010 season, and trading again with New England to get our 2nd round pick(lost in trade with them last year) back. Von Miller is who I expect they would want.

Some fans act like if Richardson is stingy for another year, they'll quit being fans. I call BS. I think Richardson would be an idiot to throw away the economic ground he gained in 2010/2011 on the first pick overall in one of the weakest draft classes we've seen in years. The lower we can trade down the better. Give me first pick overall in a CAPPED YEAR, then we can talk about spending major bucks.

When we draft the quarterback of the future, let him sit for awhile and see in two years that the Panthers made the best decision ever when they chose Cam Newton to become the face of the franchise.

That seems implausible to me. Why would the Panthers give Cam Newton a honeymoon on the bench after throwing Jimmy Clausen to the wolves early? Seems to me, that if Newton is drafted first overall, then its because we believe that Newton can beat the odds that Clausen could not beat. That means his ass better be on the field winning games right away.

The draft will be exciting if they announce in the middle of it that a new CBA has been reached and there will be a full season with camp.

Now that would be exciting!!!

At the risk of being tarred and feathered, I gotta say that I almost hope a new CBA waits until a couple of weeks after the draft.

I hate the downtime between the draft and the opening of training camp. If we could fill some of this downtime with a FA period, it would help keep interest high.

Just a random thought.

Archived