• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Having a family = not as many friends?

The Saltman

ya. my wife is a pretty good nurse tho and has been doing it for 5 years at nights and has never been written up for a dosage mistake.

But anyways she did use to work part time but has take another shift due to the fact that I'm going back to school.

SO the stress of her doing that, plus school, plus taking care of a 15 month old can take its toll. Such is life though.

We have a pretty good neighborhood. On the weekends we normally get together with the other couples. The kids go inside and watch a movie and the adults hang outside and drink, cookout, play cornhole, etc.

The wife and I have had many a night when we carried the sleeping kids back to our house after partying. Good times can still be had, just now you have responsibilities and can't just run off to Huddle House to feed that late night drunk urge for scattered, smothered, and covered taters.

just some food for thought. know a couple where the wife was a highly succesful real estate agent. told her in 05 where housing was headed and she didn't listen. of all her friends, i was the only one who didn't throw money into the hat for this big condo deal in charlotte. lawsuit is still pending to this day.

the day she gave birth to her second kid, she was on her lap top working on a deal. i just told her and her husband, to just weigh out if that amount of earnings is comparable to raising kids. by no means am i down on making money but some costs need to be considered and thought thru.

she is slowly getting out of that field but between the stress of it all and now her kids trying to find time with mom is catching up.

this is just me speaking. i purposely turned down 2 dif jobs being a broker or supporting a broker that had such a great book of biz it would have been turn key. i could have shown up drunk and naked and still brought home 6 figures.

if you guys are able, just weigh out the risk vs rewards of tons of work or school and being parents. both can be done, but putting something on paper and thinking thru what you value can help long term.

Hidden

Now that I have a family I hardly talk to any of my regular hang out buddies anymore. Most of them are either single, been married with no kids, or just playing the field.

It seems my social life has been reduced to nothing. Does this happen to most people going through what I'm going through or am I just a big loser?

definitely not a knock on you salty,

but I regret the day this happens.

My serious answer: I'm fortunate enough to have a few friends in my life that are like brothers to me. We've certainly hung out less since my son was born, but I've been having them over to my place. It's easier on us, and we all still get to hang out. In fact, we probably get to catch up a little more this way.

Though you should take this for what it's worth, because I wasn't the type to go out that frequently in the first place.

Archived