• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Losing Weight without losing muscle (the little I have)

The Saltman

eliminating beer is unnecessary. i'm down 10 lbs in 8 wks just by cutting out sweets. that means no soda and black coffee. i still drink beer. i fluctuate a lot though. like sunday i woke up weighing 214. i drank half a pot of black coffee, and didn't eat anything until some brats and burgers came off the grill. after those i had some cheese cake. from around noon to 9 i had 9 beers. a mix of lager, wheats and bock. monday morning i was 210.

the next day(yesterday) i had the coffee, a cereal bar, some peanuts and fruits for snack time, a 20 oz soda while running some errands with wifey, a normal lunch, some left overs from the grill, and only one beer. i went up two pounds.

i think the all beer diet may be in my future.

I go back and forth. When I'm working out I struggle to eat well, when I'm not working out I eat really healthy. If I could just put the two together I'd be awesome. :mad: Oh well :cheers2: Glad to hear it's going well, keep it up!

I have the same problem.. I'm pretty much a dumpster for food since my metabolism increases..

which leads me to this...

My approach is simple. Workout everyday and then eat and drink all you want.

this really is possible when people are working out and doing cardio.. I can't speak for those around 36 and up, since metabolism may start to slow a little.

then again, this may apply more to those building muscle..

remember, moderation is the key!

anything to drastic won't be sustainable and it will always feel wrong.

a little cut here a little cut there. As long as calories spent > calories consumed, you will win!

What's the Best Eating Trick to Lose Weight Fast? -Paul, Worchester, MA

You might be surprised, but eating more food will help you shed pounds quickly—as long as you’re smart about what you’re putting in your mouth. The secret is a technique called “carb switching,” where you replace foods like rice, pasta, or bread with fruits and vegetables, says nutritionist, Dr. Mike Roussell. It’s the easiest and fastest way to jumpstart successful, long-term weight loss. The reason is simple: Fruits and vegetables have fewer calories and carbohydrates than their processed counterparts, says Roussell, so you’re eating more food but not adding additional weight. And in the case of green veggies (minus the dressing), you can eat to your heart’s desire without doing any damage to your weight loss goals. What’s more, your food swaps are lower glycemic options, which are better for your blood sugar and optimize fat-loss hormones like insulin, making it easier for you to lose weight. The result is an eating approach that always leaves you satisfied and is easy to adopt.

http://www.livestrong.com/blog/blog/whats-best-eating-trick-lose-weight-fast/?utm_source=maynewsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=110503

Saltman.....how's it working out for ya?

I need to know. I've got to start a little exercise program myself.

I read where people are saying eat 6 meals aday.......anybody have any meal plans they'd like to share?

I;m looking at starting out with a walk/run 5 days a week.

I'm an old man here so I'm going to start slow.......haven't been in a gym in 20 yrs. I think it's time to get back.

I know you did not ask me, but I am going through the same thing. I started about 2 months ago… Bad eating , dieting habits, and laziness led me too 200 lbs at 6’0 even with 23% body fat. In the past 2 months I’ve dropped to 172 lbs, and 16% body fat…. And it was easy.

1) Dieting is key – One week where I did not work out I wanted to test and see how many pounds I would put on, to my surprise I actually lost 3 pounds that week just eating right. You have to find a diet that is easy for you to maintain and that is enjoyable to you, otherwise it will not last for long. My daily diet

a. I drink a Nestle Carnation drink in the morning with a fruit and special K breakfast bar…

b. In-between breakfast a lunch I usually eat another fruit

c. Lunch I always eat my homemade salad with spinach leaves, fat free poppy-seed dressing, cucumbers, and diced egg white… usually with soup, maybe leftovers, sometimes a sandwich… just depends.

d. In-between Lunch and dinner I usually eat my snack of choice…. Usually special k chips or crackers I love, or archer farm chips.

e. Dinner I eat lots of vegetables and something to go with it (Salmon, grilled chicken breast, chili, or whatever). But I bought a 3 tier electric vegetable steamer and I use that daily!!! Best investment ever…. I don’t like a lot of vegetables and was worried about getting the daily recommended amount, but with that steamer it has been no issue. I usually try to eat dinner 3 hours before I go to bed so I will be just a little hungry when I got to sleep and can burn fat at night.

f. Take my men’s 1 a day vitamins daily.

So this is something that is easy for me, therefore I have had no problems maintaining it. Also I drink at-least 64 oz of water a day and do not drink any soda/beer/juice ect.

2) Workout routine- You can find something that works for you. I don’t like going to the gym because of the time and hassle it takes… I like working out in my home on my own when I want (First thing in the morning). So I started out with P90 (Not P90X). And that was a great choice… perfect for my current fitness level and easy to follow and progress. The DVD can get boring until you switch to the next phase, but it was worth it. Just try to find a way to get some cardio and resistance training in…. I’ve been doing that 6 days a week in the AM as soon as I wake up.

3) Commitment – Sometimes it is hard to make a life style change. I am doing it because a lot of people are dying at a younger age because of poor health, or poor eating…. I don’t have kids yet, but when I do I want to do my best to be healthy to live long and see them grow. I’m only 27, but I have to start before it is too late. So that’s what I focus on. I am an auditor so my audit team goes out to lunch a lot; usually I have to pass unless we are going somewhere I can order from.

So just find a plan that works for you… I don’t think there is a special diet, or special foods… just make good health decisions… load up on vegetables, watch calories (I don’t count calories, that’s too much for me… but I do look at the nutritional value of everything I eat an buy. ) and some cardio and resistance… and you’ll be on your way to meeting your goals. Any other questions just let me know. But I feel great, energy is much improve… My GF notices it in the bedroom… It’s all worth it for me.

God I'm throwing so much shiz at the wall right now, I hope something sticks:

• I am going to the weight room twice a week. Not seeing too much definition, but I'm getting stronger, which is all I really care about anyway. Since February I've gone from 3x10 reps of 140 on bench press to 3x10 reps of 190.
  • I am going to Krav Maga 2-3 times per week to get my aerobic exercise, continue honing reaction time, and build leg muscle (I don't use the leg machines in the weight room, hurt my knees too much)
  • I recently started whey protein. I really just use it after workouts (I'm not a "take it after every meal" kind of guy) to aid recovery time and build more muscle.
  • I've cut out diet soda. The fake sugar in it actually encourages fat to stay in your love handles.
  • I walk around my neighborhood 35 minutes every day, and run at least once per week.
  • I was counting calories, but am phasing that out, it just can't stick to it. I'm working on some alternatives.
  • I'm starting to snack during the day, so I keep my metabolism running, and I eat smaller meals for lunch and dinner.
  • I recently heard that if you run at least 4 miles 3 times per week you're metabolism basically goes into overdrive, so you can eat more. And that's what I need. I have a set amount of food that I like to eat in a day, which is why counting cals is so hard, so if I can crank up my metabolism, I won't be eating more, I'll eat the same amount, I'll just metabolize more of it.

Something has just got to get these last stubborn pounds off. It damn well better; it's almost Eastern European lifeguard lady-folk season and I am not in bathing suit shape.

God I'm throwing so much shiz at the wall right now, I hope something sticks:

• I am going to the weight room twice a week. Not seeing too much definition, but I'm getting stronger, which is all I really care about anyway. Since February I've gone from 3x10 reps of 140 on bench press to 3x10 reps of 190.
  • I am going to Krav Maga 2-3 times per week to get my aerobic exercise, continue honing reaction time, and build leg muscle (I don't use the leg machines in the weight room, hurt my knees too much)
  • I recently started whey protein. I really just use it after workouts (I'm not a "take it after every meal" kind of guy) to aid recovery time and build more muscle.
  • I've cut out diet soda. The fake sugar in it actually encourages fat to stay in your love handles.
  • I walk around my neighborhood 35 minutes every day, and run at least once per week.
  • I was counting calories, but am phasing that out, it just can't stick to it. I'm working on some alternatives.
  • I'm starting to snack during the day, so I keep my metabolism running, and I eat smaller meals for lunch and dinner.
  • I recently heard that if you run at least 4 miles 3 times per week you're metabolism basically goes into overdrive, so you can eat more. And that's what I need. I have a set amount of food that I like to eat in a day, which is why counting cals is so hard, so if I can crank up my metabolism, I won't be eating more, I'll eat the same amount, I'll just metabolize more of it.

Something has just got to get these last stubborn pounds off. It damn well better; it's almost Eastern European lifeguard lady-folk season and I am not in bathing suit shape.

your weight training training excercise needs to change. Do this

www.stronglifts.com

walking wont really do anything either u can stop that. Go to a gym and do elliptical trainer 3x a week for 30 minutes. You should see improvements much faster.

Update: I just started the snacking thing I had been advised to do today, and I can really see how it works. I've eaten 4 times today, and I've only eaten 950 calories. by the time dinner rolls around, I'll only be hungry enough for a small meal. I'll be able to keep at 1,800 - 2,000 calories per day with this program.

your weight training training excercise needs to change. Do this

www.stronglifts.com

Less worried about muscle gain than weight loss. Will look into it, though.

walking wont really do anything either u can stop that. Go to a gym and do elliptical trainer 3x a week for 30 minutes. You should see improvements much faster.

The walk is really just for leisure. It's my mom's exercise, I just go because we can talk and it's nice out. But hey, it's gotta count for something.

And I'm implementing the 4 mile runs 3 times per week program. For whatever reason, I find the elliptical workouts very unsatisfying, although the natural motion is much easier on my knees.

Archived