• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

dareus refuses to be derailed

Even HOFs had crappy rookie years. I'm not a huge Clausen fan, but I realize that he could be much better than what he showed us last year.

Just a question, will you be willing to dump Cam if he has a crappy rookie year? If not, you should extent Jimmy the same courtesy.

Clausen just doesn't look physically capable of playing QB at a franchise level(even average starter level)..Even if Cam had a bad first season..he would probably at least look like he belongs on the field. I think we all knew that Clausen had such a low ceiling anyway that to see him suck so bad is a more then a little disheartening for his future.

Even HOFs had crappy rookie years. I'm not a huge Clausen fan, but I realize that he could be much better than what he showed us last year.

Just a question, will you be willing to dump Cam if he has a crappy rookie year? If not, you should extent Jimmy the same courtesy.

If Newton came in and threw footballs like baseballs like Jimmy did, threw more balls into the stands than into the field of play, and ran around like a scared little girl when a little pressure came his way instead of stepping up into the pocket..

HELL YES... I would say get him the fug out of here, and would wish Marty Hurney luck with his new job.

However, given Newton's physique, and what he's done in college... I doubt seriously this will happen.

Clausen just doesn't look physically capable of playing QB at a franchise level(even average starter level)..Even if Cam had a bad first season..he would probably at least look like he belongs on the field. I think we all knew that Clausen had such a low ceiling anyway that to see him suck so bad is a more then a little disheartening for his future.

Why don't we see what Clausen does with a decent coaching staff before we anoint him as not belonging on the field. If he looks bad after this season, then by all means bash the poo out of him.

A bit drastic. Jimmy looked bad, sometimes worse than others, but what you describe is a bit over the top. Pass protection was horrible, ask Matt Moore and with the situation of the staff and Fox, not a whole lot of good was bound to come from it.

A bit drastic. Jimmy looked bad, sometimes worse than others, but what you describe is a bit over the top. Pass protection was horrible, ask Matt Moore and with the situation of the staff and Fox, not a whole lot of good was bound to come from it.

Look we all thought he was ready for the pro game was suppose to be able to play at a certain level right away but also does not have the tools to get very far beyond that..what we saw should really not give anyone confidence to "give it another go" considering he isn't a guy with a high ceiling anyways..

If Newton came in and threw footballs like baseballs like Jimmy did, threw more balls into the stands than into the field of play, and ran around like a scared little girl when a little pressure came his way instead of stepping up into the pocket..

HELL YES... I would say get him the fug out of here, and would wish Marty Hurney luck with his new job.

However, given Newton's physique, and what he's done in college... I doubt seriously this will happen.

Again exaggerated like the other poster. Yes, Jimmy threw a lot of balls in the stands, but would you rather him take a sack? His arm is average, but not the wet noodle you describe. Lastly, the scrambling...do you think Cam is going to stand there and get pummeled? He'll make his read and run. He was INSTRUCTED to do that at Auburn and now he's going to turn into this cool cucumber in the pocket overnight especially trying to make pre-snap reads under center? (which he's not done before, BTW.)

I will give you Cam's body can withstand more abuse than Jimmy's and if he starts this year, Cam will take some abuse.

I would have agreed with this... but later in the year, our run game got a LITTLE momentum. If it was all O-line, then how come Jimmy didn't improve? He sucked right up to the end.

Again exaggerated like the other poster. Yes, Jimmy threw a lot of balls in the stands, but would you rather him take a sack? His arm is average, but not the wet noodle you describe. Lastly, the scrambling...do you think Cam is going to stand there and get pummeled? He'll make his read and run. He was INSTRUCTED to do that at Auburn and now he's going to turn into this cool cucumber in the pocket overnight especially trying to make pre-snap reads under center? (which he's not done before, BTW.)

I will give you Cam's body can withstand more abuse than Jimmy's and if he starts this year, Cam will take some abuse.

Not exaggerated at all. Except for one game, I lost count of how many times I saw Clausen throw into the stands or ran out of bounds behind the line.

Again, given Newton's physical talents, he could have turned those runs out of bounds into runs for gains... or scrambled faster and made plays. At this point, Cam's "terrible" accuracy looks better than Jimmy's.

Look we all thought he was ready for the pro game was suppose to be able to play at a certain level right away but also does not have the tools to get very far beyond that..what we saw should really not give anyone confidence to "give it another go" considering he isn't a guy with a high ceiling anyways..

What we knew is he ran a pro-style offense at ND and the verbiage wasn't going to that big of a transition. According to Jimmy, it wasn't. To many rookie QBs it's like learning a new language. That wasn't the issue.

The issue is really nobody is ready for the pro game out of college. Some rookies are able to make the transition much faster than others, seldomly do they break out that first season, however. QB is arguably the hardest position for rookies to learn at the pro level. That's the reason I am willing to give Jimmy one more year to see the progression. If after this year if he doesn't improve, then yeah, his time trying to be the starter here is over.

Archived