• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

marty hurney press conference tidbits

Sultan33g

carolinagrowl.com

Carolina Panthers general manager Marty Hurney is playing things by the book.

He confirmed in a conference call Thursday that the Panthers placed the “non-exclusive” franchise tag on defensive end Julius Peppers, a move that allows Peppers’ agent Carl Carey to talk with other teams and solicit an offer sheet.

Technically, as Hurney repeated throughout the interview, Peppers has three options – sign the Panthers one-year tender offer of $16.8 million, sign a long-term contract with the Panthers or get an offer from another team and bring it back to the Panthers. If the latter happens, the Panthers would have seven days to match the terms of that offer and receive two first-round draft picks as compensation if they don’t.

What Hurney wouldn't talk about is the fourth option -- one that happens from time to time in the NFL and almost certainly will happen in this case -- where the Panthers will work in conjuction with Carey on a trade that will send Peppers to another team for compensation less than two first-round draft picks.

But since that isn't the intention of franchise tag under the NFL's Collective Bargaining Agreement, Hurney wouldn’t discuss that option. Basically, he’s going by the intended rules of the CBA.

“We put the non-exclusive tag on him and that enables them to talk to teams and if they sign an offer sheet we would have to have to option to match or get the two first-round picks,” Hurney repeated over and over again. “Carl and I have had good communication and I don’t think it took him by surprise.”

Hurney said he’s told Carey “many times how much we value Julius and that we would like him to play again. As far as putting the franchise tag on him, those are the terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement. He has the right to talk to teams and sign an offer sheet.”

As for Peppers’ wishes to play for one of four teams, Hurney wouldn’t go there.

“I think there is a misunderstanding about what the franchise tag is,” Hurney said, before repeating Peppers’ three options again.

Still, the Panthers would like to trade Peppers shortly after Feb. 27, the start of the new league year and the free agency signing period. That's because Peppers’ $16.8 million will count against the team’s overall salary cap until Peppers is traded.

Once he’s traded, those numbers go off the books, opening up more cap room for the Panthers to sign some free agents and upgrade various areas of the team. That likely means the Panthers will now begin to make some cuts, the most obvious being cornerback Ken Lucas.

“Obviously we will be under the cap when the league year starts,” Hurney said.

I don't agree with Fowler on this one. I think Hurney is saying to Peppers and his agent, if you only want to play for one of those four teams then have them sign you to an offer sheet that will force one of those teams to give up two 1st round picks.

Until Peppers chooses otherwise (meaning he will have to adjust his "list" of options) then Hurney isn't interested in trading Peppers.

Personally, I love it.

so say the Falcons offer 2 1st rounders for Pep and a contract he likes--

we either have to match it or take the picks.. we can't say no to ATL because we dont want him in our division, can we??

You are correct.

But here's the beauty of the situation. If Peppers agrees to terms with that team and the Panthers match it then Peppers has to play for Carolina for the same contract that Atlanta is offering. It's possible that in some messed up way the Panther could come out of this with Peppers being signed long term for far less than what they were offering him last year.

I don't agree with Fowler on this one. I think Hurney is saying to Peppers and his agent, if you only want to play for one of those four teams then have them sign you to an offer sheet that will force one of those teams to give up two 1st round picks.

Until Peppers chooses otherwise (meaning he will have to adjust his "list" of options) then Hurney isn't interested in trading Peppers.

Personally, I love it.

I agree, basically he's telling them in a nice way that he has them by the nuts.

You are correct.

But here's the beauty of the situation. If Peppers agrees to terms with that team and the Panthers match it then Peppers has to play for Carolina for the same contract that Atlanta is offering. It's possible that in some messed up way the Panther could come out of this with Peppers being signed long term for far less than what they were offering him last year.

That shouldn't be too hard, being less then a 90 million dollar deal with around 30 - 40 million in guarantees. That's the deal that NFL network said we offered him last year.

You are correct.

Yeah that is a possibility but its not at the same time...there is no way we enter into a long-term contract (that will be a lot of money regardless) with a guy that doesn't want to be here. There is something to be said for the chemistry of the team and Pep being here would mess that chemistry up. I don't see anyone giving up two first round picks for Peppers but I do see someone giving up a 1st and a 3rd (or 2nd) for him.

Yeah that is a possibility but its not at the same time...there is no way we enter into a long-term contract (that will be a lot of money regardless) with a guy that doesn't want to be here. There is something to be said for the chemistry of the team and Pep being here would mess that chemistry up. I don't see anyone giving up two first round picks for Peppers but I do see someone giving up a 1st and a 3rd (or 2nd) for him.

That was kind of my point. No we couldn't stop the Falcons from trying but that doesn't mean we couldn't take advantage of the situation as well.

How would that work if that should happen? Would the Panthers then be able to turn around and trade Peppers with that long term contract to any team they wished?

How would that work if that should happen? Would the Panthers then be able to turn around and trade Peppers with that long term contract to any team they wished?

Um.. yes I believe they could do just that. It's a Moot point though if anyone signs him to an offer sheet the Panthers would be insane to do anything other that let him walk and take the two first.

That was kind of my point. No we couldn't stop the Falcons from trying but that doesn't mean we couldn't take advantage of the situation as well.

THAT would be best case scenario in my opinion. then we could trade him to da raidahs:)

Depending on the language of said contract. Yes we could. I wouldn't mind The lions.

Option Five...Peppers sues the NFL, and lawyers line up around the block to take them on.

You know, I just don't see your reasoning or purpose in this.

Are you Peppers cousin or something? As a fan there is no reason to believe a player is going to sue the NFL over the franchise tag as it has been used on many occasisions, just last year in Carolina, and no one has went to court over it.

Archived