• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Taking the 15th ranked player with the #1 overall pick doesn't make much sense...

Darth Urious

Let me preface this with the clearly stated opinion that I don't want to draft a QB at all... Andrew Luck probably wouldn't change that either, so I have no bias against any player... if anything it is a bias against drafting a QB...

That said... How can you justify taking Newton ahead of someone like Dareus, who is often ranked at least 8 or so players ahead of him in most scouts eyes?

I get that some people believe QB is a dire need... I get that some people want to roll the dice on Cam if for no other reason to bring some excitement to the field and hope that the risk translates into rewards...

But, in all seriousness, how do you justify such a roll of the dice when there are players figured to be better at their positions (some of which we could use more than a little help with) across the collective boards?

Most scouts have Dareus, Peterson, Green, and Miller all rated at the top of the draft, yet some people are so set on the Panthers and Newton being a match that I just don't get it completely...

Answer is easy...

Dareus could be an all pro as a rookie and Cam could just be decent.......and Cam would have a much bigger impact overall.

Dareus, Miller, and at least Green, can dominate players directly opposing them... Cam or any other QB will need help from a supporting cast... Right now, it scares me putting any QB we have or could get behind the same blocking that we had last year... yet nobody is really talking about that because all they see is the shiny new toy that will make them forget about Clausen...

This is not a shot at Jimmy or an endorsement of Cam or Gab, but while our O-line may have performs below average, the QB did not help...

I said this all last year.... JImmy's pocket presence was horrible and made the line look worst. My example was A-Rod. If you watch him in the pocket he is great at keeping his eyes down the field while getting away from the rush.... put Jimmy in the exact same situation and his eyes drop and he panics in the pocket... He doesn’t really look back up the field until he can escape and get close to the sideline.... One situation the QB makes the play and makes the O-line not look horrible, the other the QB gets sacked and makes the O-line look bad

Also once you can avoid pressure you change how defense come at you... Now you are taking away what they want to do and dictating their defense. It can be argued that Cam and Gab would bring that pocket presence and in turn help out the offensive line.

Everyone loves bringing up 2003.

There is a big difference between taking a game manager up against Brad Johnson, Aaron Brooks, and Doug Johnson (Vick was hurt) and making the playoffs, than taking a game manager against Ryan, Freeman, and Brees and expecting to make the playoffs.

The year Trent Dilfer won a Super Bowl the QBs in his division were Akili Smith, Tim Couch, and Kordell Stewart.

You guys still hanging on to those days need to realize that this isn't the same NFC South it was in 2003.

And Newton isn't Ryan, Freeman, or Brees.

What do we have behind Beason?

James Anderson, a guy who finally showed up a little bit when the walls were crumbling around him...

Thomas Davis who is coming off a second major injury...

Dan Connor who is a baller but isn't a superstar...

What else?

In our scheme changes we'll likely need to roll at least five deep, all players possessing the ability to start in different looks... I see four up there, and Miller would immediately be #2 in that equation...

I'm more on the Dareus wagon, but I could see Rivera/Hurney causing a fuss by picking Miller...

But from what I've seen and read Miller projects as stictly an outside LB in a 3-4 scheme.... SO if we're not running a 3-4 than he won't be playing up to his strengths.

if we were drafting 15th..... yeah

we're drafting 1st. there is NO QB worthy of #1 in this draft so why waste the pick on one. rebuilding for long term success isn't done in one year with one draft. maybe next year if we pick 5th or 6th, we can get a better QB at 6th than taking newton at #1.

THAT'S how you rebuild for long term success!

that's a lot of assuming

Let me preface this with the clearly stated opinion that I don't want to draft a QB at all... Andrew Luck probably wouldn't change that either, so I have no bias against any player... if anything it is a bias against drafting a QB...

That said... How can you justify taking Newton ahead of someone like Dareus, who is often ranked at least 8 or so players ahead of him in most scouts eyes?

I get that some people believe QB is a dire need... I get that some people want to roll the dice on Cam if for no other reason to bring some excitement to the field and hope that the risk translates into rewards...

But, in all seriousness, how do you justify such a roll of the dice when there are players figured to be better at their positions (some of which we could use more than a little help with) across the collective boards?

Most scouts have Dareus, Peterson, Green, and Miller all rated at the top of the draft, yet some people are so set on the Panthers and Newton being a match that I just don't get it completely...

Andrew Luck would have been the #1 rated player so that would have made plenty of sense.

:lol: Neither was Freeman, Brees, or Ryan coming out.

Ryan had so many questions a QB starved Miami team passed on him :rofl:

Miami passed on him more because of what Jake Long brought to the table then what Matt Ryan didn't....

But from what I've seen and read Miller projects as stictly an outside LB in a 3-4 scheme.... SO if we're not running a 3-4 than he won't be playing up to his strengths.

He can play outside in a 4-3 especially the strongside. We would play to his strengths very well. The only problem with Miller is he is not addressing a weakness on the team.

Miami passed on him more because of what Jake Long brought to the table then what Matt Ryan didn't....

Matt Ryan's stock was all over the place. Some people were convinced he would amount to nothing. He was never a slam dunk to be a good QB. In a lot of ways he had as many questions as Cam does.

Archived