• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Gross's Contract

Panther53521

Has anyone thought about why the contract is front loaded, other than the cap count.

At the end of the first 3 yrs, Gross will be 31 (on a decline for O-linemen)and Otah will be 25 (entering prime for O-linemen).

I believe Hurney is looking into the future, and there are thinking of switching Gross and Otah if Gross starts to slip after that 3 yrs is up.

not sure when Otah's contract is up but switching him to left Tackle at Right Tackle pay would be huge in the future.

I am just guessing, you hardly ever see a front loaded contract. I know some the reason is 2010 (the uncapped year). but I believe Hurney has something in the back of his head for the future.

From what Ive heard it would be conceivable to move gross to RT in the future (after first 3 years of the deal) and him make about what a good RT would make. So that could have been the thinking behind that, or it was a reward for staying in Carolina and taking a pay cut. It was probably a mix of those two.

From what Ive heard it would be conceivable to move gross to RT in the future (after first 3 years of the deal) and him make about what a good RT would make. So that could have been the thinking behind that, or it was a reward for staying in Carolina and taking a pay cut. It was probably a mix of those two.

My thoughts exactly.

This is nothing new with the Panthers. Unlike most GM's Hurney would rather give front loaded deals than back load them (this is concerning big contracts as I'm sure the smaller ones are back loaded). This is the main reason we never see the Panthers with a huge war chest at the being of a season but also the reason why the team is always either able to spend a good amount in FA or able make room for cap space. Hurney and Richardson have never been afraid of spending money upfront and that is one reason why so many players are attracted to the Panthers.

humor the fool:

why does a left tackle get paid so much more than a right tackle?

If a rusher breaks free on the right side a right handed QB can see the rusher coming and therefore make a better adjustment in regards to where he moves and where and when he throws the ball.

Also, traditionally the tight end lines up on the right hand side, so he can chip the left edge rusher.

The Left tackle has to protect the QB's blindside and almost never gets a helping hand.

If he stuffs up there's a higher chance of a sack and or a fumble. So if you've got a guy who can maintain 99% of blocks and can also run block at an all pro level (like gross) he's as important to an offense as Steve Smith.

If a rusher breaks free on the right side a right handed QB can see the rusher coming and therefore make a better adjustment in regards to where he moves and where and when he throws the ball.

Also, traditionally the tight end lines up on the right hand side, so he can chip the left edge rusher.

The Left tackle has to protect the QB's blindside and almost never gets a helping hand.

If he stuffs up there's a higher chance of a sack and or a fumble. So if you've got a guy who can maintain 99% of blocks and can also run block at an all pro level (like gross) he's as important to an offense as Steve Smith.

dammit i completely knew that... brain fart

thanks though!

Archived