• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How the hell...

Darth Biscuit

In a study published in the journal 'Attention, Perception, & Psychophysics', researchers at UCL (University College London) demonstrate for the first time this phenomenon, which they term 'inattentional deafness'.

"Inattentional deafness is a common everyday experience," explains Professor Nilli Lavie from the Institute of Cognitive Neuroscience at UCL. "For example, when engrossed in a good book or even a captivating newspaper article we may fail to hear the train driver's announcement and miss our stop, or if we're texting whilst walking, we may fail to hear a car approaching and attempt to cross the road without looking."

Professor Lavie and her PhD student James Macdonald devised a series of experiments designed to test for inattentional deafness. In these experiments, over a hundred participants performed tasks on a computer involving a series of cross shapes. Some tasks were easy, asking the participants to distinguish a clear colour difference between the cross arms. Others were much more difficult, involving distinguishing subtle length differences between the cross arms.

Participants wore headphones whilst carrying out the tasks and were told these were to aid their concentration. At some point during task performance a tone was played unexpectedly through the headphones. At this point, immediately after the sound was played, the experiment was stopped and the participants asked if they had heard this sound.

When judging the respective colours of the arms - an easy task that takes relatively little concentration - around two in ten participants missed the tone. However, when focusing on the more difficult task - identifying which of the two arms was the longest - eight out of ten participants failed to notice the tone.

http://www.wellcome.ac.uk/News/Media-office/Press-releases/2011/WTVM051536.htm

Oh I guarantee she was on the phone or something while getting out and didn't hear it... I wouldn't be pissed if this was the first time... but after the 20th or so time of lights on/dead battery, locked keys in the car, can't find keys, etc, etc, it gets really old.

Oh I guarantee she was on the phone or something while getting out and didn't hear it... I wouldn't be pissed if this was the first time... but after the 20th or so time of lights on/dead battery, locked keys in the car, can't find keys, etc, etc, it gets really old.

My wife is constantly asking me where her cellphone/keys/randomwomanthing is. Like I'm the one that lost it.

My 96 Celica has a shutoff feature for the lights, leave them on and take out the key and they turn off.

I can't understand why all cars don't have this

probably the battery lobbyists, fugers

at least your wife didn't try to push a school bus out of the way with her car

Most likely because she's never had to fish her own keys out or jump her own car off. When you've had to do things by yourself you learn faster.

Yes she has... she's done this while I was out of town.

My wife locked the keys in the car with it running and our 6 month old daughter in the car two years ago, while I was out of town. She called me like I was supposed to do something about it.

^ Done that...

Let me list them...

Locked keys in car numerous times, including once when our oldest was 2 and I was in an important meeting that I had to leave.

Left lights on more times than I can count and killed the battery.

Left sunroof open at least 4 times when it has rained.

Crashed into a car going 45 and it hit another car... the fat ladies in the second car sued us because the seats broke (yeah, that one's kinda funny)

Tore, and I mean TORE, the whole side of the tire OFF by hitting a curb in our old Accord... I have NO CLUE how you do this.

Has hit the trash can backing out of our driveway multiple times.

Backed into my Jeep which was behind her in the driveway... TWICE.

Tried to park her Ford Explorer in a parking deck spot labeled "C", she thought it meant "CAR"... hit that wall

Ran over something on Camp Lejuene that tore the whole front end out from beneath that same Accord.

Must I continue???

Archived