• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How would you grade this Panthers 2011 starting line up?

SCP

I don't know at this point whether 4-12 will be about right or a low estimate. It really depends on who plays quarterback and how the offense gels. But the defense should be at least 7 points better and if the offense can be 7 points better as well that is a 14 point turnaround. That should be good enough to win a few more games.

Last year we had a ton of young players get quite a bit of experience either as starters or rotational guys. Those guys will not be rookies which bodes well for the Panthers this year. The few FA players we will sign this year pales in comparison to all the positive changes this year with a new coaching staff, legitimate potential franchise quarterback, and healthy players like Davis, Otah, and the rest. Other than a DT and potentially a CB and wide receiver (if Smith is traded) we don't have all the holes some talking heads thinks we do. The problem is our competition is pretty good as well. I expect we will be much improved this year and everyone will talk about what an expected turnaround much like St Louis last season.

I think 7 points better on the defensive side might be optimistic, but we'll see. I would be pretty surprised if we don't make huge improvements on the offensive side though. :)

I think 7 points better on the defensive side might be optimistic, but we'll see. I would be pretty surprised if we don't make huge improvements on the offensive side though. :)

We gave up 25.5 points a game last year. If the offense plays better and we aren't on the field all day I don't think expecting us to not give up more than 20 points a game seems reasonable. So I will split the difference and go 5 points better. After all the top 10 defenses last year were all at 20 or lower. Atlanta was at 18 and Tampa was at 19.9.

one thing to remember is that this will be a buyers market.

there is going to be a ton of UFAs hitting the market this year, not just from the panthers, but all across the board.

the last couple years with so few hitting the market the price was exaggerated. this year all players not under contract or who haven't been hit with a franchise tag who have between 4-6 years in the league will hit the market. it will be flooded which means the prices for them will be lower than we have experienced in a while.

Archived