• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers interested in DT Robertson

Mr. Scot

Picked this up from the print edition of the Herald.

Gantt says that the Panthers have sent out feelers to DT Dewayne Robertson, originally of the Jets, late of the Broncos. Per Gantt, the Panthers told him that they had interest, but would not be active in the free agent market immediately.

The article stated that they were in contact with others as well, but gave no other names. Logically, they were most likely players who, like Robertson had been waived or cut from their prior teams since this came prior to the start of free agency.

On a larger topic, Gantt also stated that the Panthers have told some of their defensive players to expect a 'revamping' of the defense overall to reflect a more Cover 2 based scheme. There had been speculation on this previously, but now it's confirmed.

That pisses me off.

I want nothing to do with a Tampa 2 scheme. We don't have the personal and it clashes with Fox's (and my) philosophy of stop the run first.

I can already see Meeks and Fox butting heads. Another thing to consider is that this will stunt Godfrey's growth as a player. Not that I think he will pan out for us anyway.

This sucks.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

That pisses me off.

I want nothing to do with a Tampa 2 scheme. We don't have the personal and it clashes with Fox's (and my) philosophy of stop the run first.

I can already see Meeks and Fox butting heads. Another thing to consider is that this will stunt Godfrey's growth as a player. Not that I think he will pan out for us anyway.

In the area of pass defense, it really doesn't clash that much.

Cover 2 leans heavily on the front four for QB pressure. Cornerbacks need only be adequate as the expectation is that pressure will force QBs into bad or hurried throws. Not terribly different from what Fox prefers.

What I think you're reacting to is the way Indy ran it with largely undersized players, making them vulnerable to the run. I don't see that happening here, not with guys like Kemo, Beason, Davis and Harris on roster.

That pisses me off.

Tampa 2 and Cover 2 aren't the same thing. Tampa 2 has a MLB that drops back deep, Cover 2 doesn't. Also, Cover 2 doesn't mean we're going to be bad against the run, that's a common misconception. It's all dependent on how good your DTs are at taking up blockers. Don't think because we ran over TB and the Colts had a horrid run defense a couple years back means it's bad at run defense, TB had only allowed 95 yards per game on the ground before we thrashed them, and I think that has more to do with our dominance than their scheme.

Not if they are going to revamp the D into a Tampa 2.

Speed is key in that D.

Not many folks running the T2 have a 360 lb tackle

just sayin'

I just thought you were crazy to say that Kemo would command more compensation than Peppers.

Kemo is a bad fit for a full bown tampa 2 defense though, so I see what you're getting at.

Tampa 2 is a variation of the Cover 2. They're not the same, please don't use them interchangeably. The article says we're leaning towards a Cover 2 BASED scheme.. that doesn't mean Tampa 2.

I thought it said we'll be leaning towards the Tampa 2 with Meeks, if I am not mistaken.

That pisses me off.

Then be mad with yourself for not remembering how much Tampa 2 the Panthers ran the first several years Fox was here.

I also don't foresee whole sale changes on defense. Our personal still fit stopping the run. It will always be a priority as long as John Fox is our head coach.

Mr. Scot said Cover 2 in his post. The Article does say Tampa 2 though. (My bad)

There's a lot in how you define it. Technically the Colts scheme under Meeks is a unique variant all its own. I tend to concentrate on the core principle because the variants tend to be based largely on personnel differences.

My take: It will be Cover 2 because you're not going to see the kind of overly undersized defense you saw with the Colts. Even with a somewhat revamped roster, we have too many larger players to suit that particular variant.

Archived