• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What about Cam will revolutionize the game?

SorthNarolina

Is there a QB coming out of college in the 2010 draft or back in the 2009 draft that you can honestly say is signifcantly ahead of Cam as a passer when looking at them translating into the NFL?

I would say both Sanchez and Stafford were significantly ahead of Cam as a passer, but this is just my personal opinion and I expect you to form your own.

Is there a QB coming out of college in the 2010 draft or back in the 2009 draft that you can honestly say is signifcantly ahead of Cam as a passer when looking at them translating into the NFL?

Sam Bradford easy. You could argue that Jimmy Clausen was a better passer in college. Matt Stafford, Mark Sanchez, and Josh Freeman were all better passers.

People aren't gushing about Cam's potential because he can pass the ball. He does that well enough to get the job done, he's not a pure passer at all. What he's exceedingly good at is moving the chains. Who cares how he gets it done, as long as he gets it done at the next level?

I would say both Sanchez and Stafford were significantly ahead of Cam as a passer, but this is just my personal opinion and I expect you to form your own.

Sanchez? really? Is he not the weakest passer in the NFL out of the big names from his draft class?

Sam Bradford easy. You could argue that Jimmy Clausen was a better passer in college. Matt Stafford, Mark Sanchez, and Josh Freeman were all better passers.

People aren't gushing about Cam's potential because he can pass the ball. He does that well enough to get the job done, he's not a pure passer at all. What he's exceedingly good at is moving the chains. Who cares how he gets it done, as long as he gets it done at the next level?

Bradford struggled to make any passes downfield his rookie year.

The question was about who was signficantly ahead of Cam as a passer heading into the NFL. Lots of QBs played in spread offense and built better stats in college....doesn't mean they are ahead.

Clausen for example, looking at him as he headed into the NFL....he had poor mechanics, height, and questionable arm strength when looking at his game transitioning to the NFL. His game was better suited for college vs. the pros. How does that put him ahead as a passer?

Sanchez was a great passer in college. Look up his numbers--41 TDs in one year. Known for anticipation and accuracy. The knock on him was that he only started one year.

it isn't about who was a good college player....it is about there passing skill set heading into the NFL and what the NFL asks of QBs.

Sanchez has been one of the most inaccurate and worst passers in the NFL the past 2 seasons. I mean the proof is in the pudding....Sanchez couldn't of been vastly ahead as poor as he has performed.

Bradford struggled to make any passes downfield his rookie year.

The question was about who was signficantly ahead of Cam as a passer heading into the NFL. Lots of QBs played in spread offense and built better stats in college....doesn't mean they are ahead.

Clausen for example, looking at him as he headed into the NFL....he had poor mechanics, height, and questionable arm strength when looking at his game transitioning to the NFL. His game was better suited for college vs. the pros. How does that put him ahead as a passer?

a rookie isn't going to be perfect Bradford is way ahead of any rookie from 09, 10, or 11.

a rookie isn't going to be perfect Bradford is way ahead of any rookie from 09, 10, or 11.

never implied a rookie should be perfect. Bradford struggled going downfield more so than a LOT of rookies. Don't forget the 7-9 Seahawks won that division either......Bradford IMO has been overblown as far as performance as a rookie.

Bradford isn't way ahead of Freeman, Stafford, etc. They were asked to make more difficult throws as rookies.

I don't know anything about Sanchez's college career, but he is a horrible deep passer in my opinion. He has a fantastic defense to keep him in games, as well as a good running game and clutch receiver to grab his inaccurate throws. He throws short and medium passes well, but he coughs them up deep.

17 td and 13 int's last season is bad. ~55% passing. I hope to god Cam does better.

In my opinion, that is a gross overstatement of his abilities. His passing game is largely overrated based on some numbers that don't translate to how good a passer he is.

He has the chance to develop into a good passer, but at this moment, he's behind the "pure passers" as you call them.

He has been working every day to improve his passing. I don't know how far along he is from his pro day in the spring but suffice it to say he has improved. So I wouldn't call my statement a gross overstatement any more than I would call yours a biased mimimalization of his abilities.

Sanchez is far from a great Qb in the NFL. His first 2 years he completed barely over half his passes (54%) with a 6.6 average. He has thrown more interceptions than TDs (33 versus 29) and has a passer rating of 70.

Stafford isn't any better. He has started 13 games in his first 2 years and has completed 54% of his passes for a palty 5.9 yards a throw. He has thrown 21 Ints versus 19 TDs and has a passer rating of 67.

That is a bar I suspect Newton will reach.

Archived