• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Willie might do time!

The Pieyed Piper

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2011/jul/06/judge-rejects-willie-nelson-plea-deal

Willie Nelson's bag of marijuana just won't go away. A Texas judge has said she won't accept a plea deal relating to Nelson's drug bust in 2010, rejecting a proposal that would have had the country singer pay a fine of less than $1,000. "If Willie Nelson gets off with nothing, I'm not going to be part of it," judge Becky Dean-Walker told the New York Times.

Nelson was caught with marijuana during a 26 November traffic stop in Sierra Blanca, Texas. Although the singer faced up to six months in jail, a sympathetic prosecutor proposed he could be let off for just $378 (£236) and joked about a court-room performance of Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain. "You bet your ass I ain't gonna be mean to Willie Nelson," Hudspeth county attorney Kit Bramblett told the Big Bend Sentinel. Judge Dean-Walker later intervened, calling this "a joke that got out of hand". At the time, she seemed lenient, with reports that Nelson could simply pay a $500 fine, plus court costs,

Bramblett, Dean-Walker claims, is trying to go easy on "his favourite singer". Whereas agents originally recorded that they found six ounces of marijuana on Nelson's tour bus, Bramblett said the actual figure was about three ounces, plus "containers and paraphernalia". The prosecutor allegedly asked Dean-Walker to reduce Nelson's charge to a class C misdemeanor, which she refused to do. "If you're not going to do it for the guy in the corner, why do it for a celebrity?" she said.

How hard up is the government that they want to throw a 77 year old pot head in jail?

So was paying taxes in 1776. We said fug THAT! Which is exactly what we need to do with a lot of the things in the american government. Including the pot laws.

And the same thing we did in the 30s during prohibition. We said Fug That!

Some laws are stupid and made to be broken, like the seat belt law. Good ideas don't always make good law. I'm leaving now, before this gets sent to the Tinderbox.:D

Yeah! Screw the stupid laws! Let's overthrow the government because us potheads disagree with a few laws!

I want to go any speed I want to on the highway too, so let's make sure we get rid of those stupid traffic laws too! And I'm sober enough to drive, screw that poo too!

So was paying taxes in 1776. We said fug THAT! Which is exactly what we need to do with a lot of the things in the american government. Including the pot laws.

Fwiw, I agree with legalization. But until a majority of us agree that it should be legalized, Nelson should be treated the same as anyone else should.

Archived