• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Coast Guard ends search for missing NFL Players

hdevonxz

hope against hope

being in top shape can be a big plus right here. I hope they got to shore and are hanging in there.

From what they were saying on the news there this morning, that being low body-fat and in such shape was more of a deterrent in the cold water. I'd have insulation and buoyancy for days. ;)

did anybody catch the clip of one of the NFL players wife..

she was like smiling the entire time tryin not to laugh..

it was very weird.. but prayers go out to everyone involved..

Yes and I was wanting to slap her across the damn face the entire time. What an idiot. She didn't even seem remotely worried.

No matter what the shape anyone is in the water temp was around 68 degrees. Way too cold to last for 3 days without a survival suit designed for cold water. It is very sad and my condolences go out to the families. But unless a boat picked the other guys up, there is little to no hope they are still alive.

I just saw a story about what the survivor is saying. He said that 2 of the guys gave up and took off their life vests and floated away. The third guy became delusional and thought he saw lights and took his vest off so he could swim towards them.

Don't know how accurate it was - it was on Inside Edition

http://www.insideedition.com/news.aspx?storyID=2690

I just saw a story about what the survivor is saying. He said that 2 of the guys gave up and took off their life vests and floated away. The third guy became delusional and thought he saw lights and took his vest off so he could swim towards them.

Don't know how accurate it was - it was on Inside Edition

http://www.insideedition.com/news.aspx?storyID=2690

Sounds accurate, no water in the full sun for that long.

Wow. That was great.

Finally a calm and rational explanation for my misanthropy and hatred of the human race. :o

isn't that a little redundant? :D

my favorite part of the article, and the most revelant to the topic here:

It's like this: which would upset you more, your best friend dying, or a dozen kids across town getting killed because their bus collided with a truck hauling killer bees? Which would hit you harder, your Mom dying, or seeing on the news that 15,000 people died in an earthquake in Iran?

They're all humans and they are all equally dead. But the closer to our Monkeysphere they are, the more it means to us. Just as your death won't mean anything to the Chinese or, for that matter, hardly anyone else more than 100 feet or so from where you're sitting right now.

From what they were saying on the news there this morning, that being low body-fat and in such shape was more of a deterrent in the cold water. I'd have insulation and buoyancy for days. ;)

and then there's the whole dual life preservers!!!!!!

Can you not swim with your vest on?

you can, but if you have ever tried, its alot more effort to swim with a vest on that without, depending on the vest...they tend to make you vertical in the water and when you try to swim, you are constantly fighting that. Then, there's the whole hypothermia vs. logical thinking thing too. When I was younger I was out hunting in the mountains with a buddy and on the way back we broke down, so we thought we'd try to hike out. It was right at freezing and raining and snowing and we got wet and cold fast. When we turned around and went back the truck for the night, I remember talking about climbing over a fricken mountain because we figured the local ski hill was close by!!!! We stayed in the same spot for over an hour....we can make it out....no, we better go back....we can make it out...

isn't that a little redundant? :D

my favorite part of the article, and the most revelant to the topic here:

It definitely is, and I almost deleted misanthropy. I simply preferred the way it sounded with it in there. ;)

I could see that passage was the one you were really getting at just by posting the link.

I counter, however, with this:

No man is an island, entire of itself

every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main

if a clod be washed away by the sea,

Europe is the less, as well as if a promontory were,

as well as if a manor of thy friends or of thine own were

any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind

and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls

it tolls for thee.

It's a cliche at this point, but it seems oddly appropriate given the metaphors used in this case.

Archived