• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Worst Tipping Celebrities.

Floppin

I don't like tipping and I stay at home. The system is absurd and I don't know where it originates. In Japan you don't tip and those people are more respectful and give way better service than any restaurant in the USA. Tipping just makes the waiters and waitresses act like douche bags because they're so obsessed with their tips.

The owners should just pay them decent wages to begin with. You could argue for tipping at every single job. People would consider it absurd if you were to tip the bank teller or the guy who does your oil change etc. They wouldn't want to give up the tip system though, as they love extorting people. I'm supposed to pay someone for relaying a message and pouring tea?

Hah, get over yourself, please.

if i get exceptional service, i tip exceptionally well. 30-35%. this is a very rare occurence.

if i get crappy service, better believe your getting a crappy tip. don't tell me 15-20% is customary. it's also customary for you not to be a ***** to your customers. bad service and you're getting 10%. i've tipped less on a few occasions simply to send a message.

as for valets - never more than $1. you performed a service i didn't want to begin with. and you probably park 30 cars an hour. you want a $2 tip from me? so you can make $60an hour to park cars? sorry if any of you are valets...

As a server, you work for me and should do your best to please me.

Don't make me go thirsty, don't make me call out "Hey sugar tits, can I get another beverage" when you are walking by.

My wife was a server for a long and constantly made more than others because she was always genuinely nice and helpful to customers. Some nights she'd come home with 500 or 600 dollars in cash.

When we go out for a nice dinner, I tell the server that I want the 3 best things on the menu and his/her tip depends on it. It usually doesn't depend on it but it gets the job done.

My wife does all the tipping because she was once a server and knows what it's like and I'm usually fine with whatever she tips but if the service is particularly average or subpar I make sure they know.

Man I would hate waiting on some of you people.

I would hate to be served by some of the people here.

They act like the are providing a unique skill that they've been highly trained for and invested hundreds of thousands of dollars in and should be compensated accordingly.

You don't automatically get a tip because you perform the service that is outlined in your job title. You get tipped because you make my experience enjoyable.

I would hate to be served by some of the people here.

They act like the are providing a unique skill that they've been highly trained for and invested hundreds of thousands of dollars in and should be compensated accordingly.

You don't automatically get a tip because you perform the service that is outlined in your job title. You get tipped because you make my experience enjoyable.

Idk about TWino, but call me Sugar Tits and Id have your ass kicked out of the restaurant.

I wouldn't base your opinions of the restaurant on the dish the server picks. Id just give you whatever shitty option people order the most.

Worked in food service for almost two decades both front of the house and back, full service to fast food, dish-pig to manager, prep cook to waitron. In short Ive done it all. Just putting that out there to quell the "well you've never had to work in food service so you dont know" retorts from above.

When I sit down at the table I don't owe the waitron poo. You want a tip? Earn it.

What is earn it? Simple. Be efficient and be professional.

• I will not hold it against you if the kitchen screws you or if the host/hostess slams your section. I can tell the difference.
  • I will hold it against you if you sit down to take my order, try to have a personal conversation about my day/my kids/my wife's clothes/or anything else besides the matter at hand.
  • Don't ask me if you can replenish anything that doesn't cost me additional, just fill up the glass and don't interrupt my conversation.
  • Learn what it means when someone puts their utensils at 5 o'clock. It means they are done and you can take the plate without asking.
  • Do tell me about your specials but unless I ask do not tell me about your favorite dish.
  • Do not serve my entree, check back in 5 and then disappear. More wait staff blows what could have been a good tip because they cant be found when I want more drink after I'm done eating or I have to wait 10 minutes for my check.
  • Its your job to pace my meal. Bringing my appetizer, salad, and entree all within the span of 10 minutes doesn't cut it. Get in the chefs face if you have to and risk invoking that drunks wrath but its up to you to make sure I have time to enjoy my meal. This is not getting screwed by the kitchen BTW.

Ill tip upwards of 40% for excellent service but I wont think twice about leaving $0.50 on a check of any amount.

Except for lunch. Lunch tips are 2 bucks. Period.

k so lets say you go to a bar/grill with your significant other. you order a bleu cheese hamburger with a side of fries, she gets a chicken ceasar salad. you drink three beers and a jack and coke, she drinks a beer and a cocktail. total comes out to $50.00

now lets say you're one pissed off dude, because your burger came out medium well when you wanted it medium rare. and you're REALLY mad because the chicken ceasar salad came out with no chicken on the top. moreover, when the waitress returned it to the kitchen it took her a full five minutes to bring it back out to you the way you wanted it in the first place. RAAAAAAAAGE. what's more, that stupid hooker is in a corner talking on her cell phone and your pint of sam adams has been empty for the last three minutes, and you're on your second one, so it's obvious you're planning on drinking more than one.

i'm pulling this scenario out my ass really, but basically i'm painting a picture of shitty service. you, being the guy that will only tip two bucks on lunch no matter what, and the guy who will have no qualms about dropping two quarters on "a tab of any size," decide to be generous and leave her a dollar. justified, in your mind, because normally you'd only tip five dimes. good man right?

noooooo.

see here's what you never realized all along:

1) The computer system glitched and the printer in the kitchen didn't show the order right. (I've worked in kitchens, bars, and front lines before and this is not uncommon.)

2) She tried to get in the chef's face but she's 5'5" and quiet and the chef is a big drunk asshole who hates her because she won't sleep with him like every other ******* in the restaurant. So he's not making her order a priority. He doesn't care that the beef patty sat on the grill for an extra couple of minutes and he certainly isn't going to double time it to get that chicken top cooked and added.

3) This girl's mom has cancer, and not only is she very distracted and flaky today, but she's actually waiting on a call from her dad, who's at the hospital and promised to call when he heard news from the oncologist. That's why she's furtively sliding over to the back corner every chance she gets.

4) She's only been working there for a month, and hasn't figured everything out yet.

5) Two of the waitstaff, lazy and in severe need of being fired, called out at the last minute and the sections were re-assigned. Because she's new she's having to a handle a section much bigger than is generally given to new waitstaff. Moreover, she's having to bartend, something she's also very new at, and it's throwing more than a few curveballs at her.

So then Inimicus tips her two percent on his meal BECAUSE HE CAN DAMMIT. Two percent. $.02. One dollar. On fifty dollars.

See the flaw in this logic? NEVER EVER EVER assume you know what's going on in the service industry. There are plenty of times when a server or bartender ARE being lazy dicks and they don't deserve a good tip, but the truth is you will never know the extenuating circumstances. A few months ago one of the waitresses at my bar gave shitty service all night to a group of rich golf coaches, and it's because she was an absolute wreck - she'd just found out one of her best friends had blown his brain out hours ago. They gave her a hard time all night, berated her in front of the entire table, and tipped her ten bucks on almost a $400 tab. These guys saw bad service and tipped accordingly - and then made her bawl in the bathroom for the next ten minutes.

Not busting on you deliberately inimicus - i'm just using what you said as a case example. a lot of people think that way, and it's one of my pet peeves. it's only a few extra bucks; why not just give a fellow human being the benefit of the doubt?

/rant

Archived