• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What's Everyone's Careers up in herree?

davos

I can't believe that there are others with degrees in Geography, and I even saw a German Minor somewhere along the way. Damn, I am not alone! Well probably still alone with a Bachelors in Geography and Minor in German.

I just want to know why the OP would like to go into City Planning. ARE YOU MAD MAN!?!?!?!?!!?

Eventually and out of the country...targets: Vancouver, Brisbane, Auckland, & Edmonton. I'll only do it if the opportunity is there. I'm not gonna force myself into a corner career wise. Also, I'm not trying to be a traditional architect or planner and would love to eventually become a new-urbanist type developer

Btw, with all the geography majors in here, how often are you using ESRI software? ArcGIS has been awesome for me to use in the research/data collection stages of projects over the years.

When I'm not performing awesome magic tricks, I moonlight as a computational biologist/bioinformaticist. I went to grad school for it, but focused mainly in proteomics (novel protein discovery, conformational changes, especially dealing with neural pathways in MS patients). At my current job, they were severely lacking in genomics capabilities so for the first time since my molecular biology days in undergrad, I'm doing genomics. I'm gearing the team to focus mainly on differential gene expression, SNP and other mutation rates, and pathway analyses that result from these changes. I really enjoy the client interaction, guiding them through what is possible to do experimentally and computationally, and helping them decipher their results and figuring out the "so what." The parts I hate are the ones we all do, bureaucratic red tape, inefficiency, and short-sightedness. But that's life.

When I'm not performing awesome magic tricks, I moonlight as a computational biologist/bioinformaticist. I went to grad school for it, but focused mainly in proteomics (novel protein discovery, conformational changes, especially dealing with neural pathways in MS patients). At my current job, they were severely lacking in genomics capabilities so for the first time since my molecular biology days in undergrad, I'm doing genomics. I'm gearing the team to focus mainly on differential gene expression, SNP and other mutation rates, and pathway analyses that result from these changes. I really enjoy the client interaction, guiding them through what is possible to do experimentally and computationally, and helping them decipher their results and figuring out the "so what." The parts I hate are the ones we all do, bureaucratic red tape, inefficiency, and short-sightedness. But that's life.

You sound like you're curing diseases!

Eventually and out of the country...targets: Vancouver, Brisbane, Auckland, & Edmonton. I'll only do it if the opportunity is there. I'm not gonna force myself into a corner career wise. Also, I'm not trying to be a traditional architect or planner and would love to eventually become a new-urbanist type developer

Btw, with all the geography majors in here, how often are you using ESRI software? ArcGIS has been awesome for me to use in the research/data collection stages of projects over the years.

I use ArcGIS everyday. I use it for research and mapmaking. I have been experimenting with 3-D analyst trying to create a 3D model of an airport and eventually I would like to add in the airport zoning overlay so we can efficiently determine whether a proposed structure would penetrate the overlay, but our computers are old and like to lock up when I am working with the large 3D files. Needless to say, I use GIS more than any other software on my comp and have been since I got out of school.

career field- dentistry

actually doing- dentistry, specifically mostly with kids, teens, young adults

what would I do otherwise- dunno. have an econ degree from undergrad, thought about doing the analytical stuff if the dental gig didn't pan out. thought about miltary service in some capacity, thought about lots of stuff, but I am really happy doing what I do, and i do it well.

a.k.a. I work in housewares in the Wal-Mart

Archived