• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

In retrospect... are you happy that we already used our 1st round pick last year?

charlottenian

You're a cute little guy, you know that? Who was the first to say "let it go"? Now you come in all high and mighty and still haven't given me anything to discuss, you're the one that keeps directing me to discuss your arguments which is all I did from the beginning, what do you want? I don't get into internet fights very often but when somebody comes directly after me I do not back down. Your platform is ludicrous and has been from the beginning. Stand down little man, just stand down...

Yes, I can be an azzhole when provoked... :lol:

See, the difference between you and I, is that I don't see this as a "fight." We're on the internet dude, this isn't reality, so I'm just laughing at the tough guy posturing and the "little man" BS.

See, the difference between you and I, is that I don't see this as a "fight." We're on the internet dude, this isn't reality, so I'm just laughing at the tough guy posturing and the "little man" BS.

You've been just as condescending as I have and as a matter of face, which all can look and see, you started it at every turn, I only responded in kind. You stay classy, I'll stay intoxicated on a Sunday afternoon...

You've been just as condescending as I have and as a matter of face, which all can look and see, you started it at every turn, I only responded in kind. You stay classy, I'll stay intoxicated on a Sunday afternoon...

Yep, I started it by giving an opinion you didn't like. Anyway, have fun with the boozing and I'll be doing the same.

I was not super excited that we drafted a rb 13th....while Stewart is very good, and I think that he is/will be a heck of a player..I am just not a 1st round rb kinda guy when we had another one on the bench from only 2 years before.

However, it seems like the right move as we went 12-4.

I like T's, DT's, cb's, DE's etc in the first.....just me though.

Otah made me happy, in fact I liked him enough to replace Johnathan as the 13th, but I am not a GM for a reason.

Drafting Stewart made a lot of sence. If the Panthers were in a position to draft Matt Ryan last year and did so no one would be complaining about the pick even though the team had Delhomme on roster and fully expected him to start the entire 2008 season. Don't forget that a featured running back's average career is the shortest of any other position in football.

As for the Otah pick. I love the pick and I love the player. I think he is a beast at RT and was exactly what the Panthers needed. My problem is what the Panthers gave up to get him. The 1st in 2009 was not a big deal at all as everyone states, we just used the 2009 1st rounder in 2008. Now, in order to use that first rounder the team had to give something up and that too is understandable. It was the fact that the team gave up both the 2nd and the 4th that got me. If Otah could be a Pro-Bowl/All Pro LT like Gross has become then I think the trade as it stood was worth it but to give up that much on a player that right now seems like a great RT but never really able to play LT seems too steep.

With that said, Gross was also thought of as a career RT that couldn't ever be successful at LT and he proved that was completely wrong this past season. So in the long run the trade could turn out to be very much worth what all the Panthers gave up but right now I just don't see that trade being as great of a move as some say it was.

My only concern is Otah's ability to stay healthy.

Gross has missed one game in all his years.

Otah...well...I don't know. He is a fine run blocking right tackle and he's learning pass protection. The question becomes, is he durable enough...maybe this year was a fluke with the injuries.

I guess this coming year will tell a little more on that front.

unfortunately he got injured in college as well, he was injured when he ran at the combine.

Bottom line is we did what we had to do. After having a down year and cutting our #1 RB and leaving only Deangelo as our running back with a questionable line. We picked up a stud RB and a stud RT, it sucks to know those picks aren't here for this years draft but I'm much more optimistic. We had arguably the best RB duo in the league guys.. The situation we are in right now is not the fault of Stewart or Otah but Peppers and Hurney.

No, because as good as Stewart is, I still think they should have drafted Otah with the 13th pick and then picked William's backup/complement in the 2nd round. That whole first round debacle was based on the premise that Williams wasn't a capable starter. Talk about a two RB system all you want but you don't pick a RB 13th overall to be a complement to your starter. I can't be completely satisfied with such inept talent evaluation (regarding Williams).

Yep, part of me thinks drafting Stewart was Hurney admitting his fug up. Made even worse as they didn't know how good Williams was even after having him on the roster 2 seasons.

Deshaun Foster should have been on the bench or gone long before he was as well.

I thought our draft was perfect last year. We would not have the running success we did this year if it wasn't for Otah. And I believe Stewart is an elite talent just like Williams is. So I would not trade the best running duo in the league just so we don't have something to bitch about this year of draft events that have not taken place yet.

I just want Peppers resigned or traded so we can have some cap room to sign a few guys. I really want us to pick up Robertson(DT), it would give us some insurance if we can't find a good DT in the draft.

I can't think of anyone I would have rather had with the 19th pick last year, or who I would rather have with the 19th pick this year.

And the Stewart pick was outstanding, and will be for years. Almost 900 yards in a secondary role, as a rookie? Can you imagine the hooting and hollering out of New Orleans if Bush had gained that many yards on the ground? The only reason he wasn't AP is because he wasn't asked to be AP. He'll be around for a long time, and so will Otah.

Great draft.

Archived