• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Crossfit

The Saltman

Depends on how fit you already are.

If you don't run at all, try the Couch to 5K program, or find a Galloway method running group. I got my bodyfat down to 7% running 3-4 times per week, and until about two years ago, I always carried some extra chub.

Crossfit is something for already physically fit people who want to take it to the next level. It's not an exclusionary thing, but if you're not already in decent cardiovascular shape, it's not going to be any fun at all.

If weight is an issue for you now, it's in your best interest to focus on some cardio like jogging, maybe some cardio strength classes, and most importantly your diet.

Once you can run a few miles without feeling like you're dying, give Crossfit a try. It's not for everyone. MAKE SURE you find a Crossfit gym with an accredited trainer, because a lot of the olympic style lifts they do can really fug you up if you don't have someone teaching you proper form.

They have running groups in every city in the US for all different running paces, you can usually find them through your local YMCA: http://www.jeffgalloway.com/

Here's more of a DIY approach, which I would only recommend to that rare person that is super-motivated and can work out without any peer pressure/interaction: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

The bad news is you have to put the cookies down, and the fried foods and sodas need to be once in awhile treats rather than staples of your diet. If that's already the case, then once you start running you'll shed pounds really fast. If not, cut back on things slowly and you'll still see results. The good news is that whether you believe it or not, your taste for unhealthy foods will decrease even as your ability to eat and metabolize whatever the fug you want increases.

Archived