• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

RIP Al Davis

Boltergeist

they will be a better team without him.

still sucks he died, got a framed autographed pic of the 92 hof class hanging in my guest bathroom.

Wrong. However, the huddle would be a much more intelligent place without you around.

RIP Mr. Davis, & thanks for everything you did to help make the NFL what it is today.

Al was a pioneer. Sure probably the last fifteen years or so he lost his marbles and it reflected and trickled down to the performance of his team. Nuff said "ill of the dead". God Bless him and hopefully he is in heaven helping God out with any contract disputes for those who are on purgatory stand by. What I remember about Al Davis was his ability to see past the B.S about people on the surface and pick winners. He didn't care that one of his players had a personality defect or was politically incorrect. He didn't put people in some think" tank" or over concern himself with body fat ratio and psychological evaluations to pick his players. He looked right into their eyes and could read their hearts and get a excellent sense of where their loyalties were to the team concept. There are some Hall of Famers right now who if not for him would have wound up playing in Canada or some traveling circus team. Rest in Peace Sir and God Bless you and your family....

Anyone who's a student of NFL history knows that the National Football League wouldn't be what it is had it not been for Al Davis.

The minority hiring rule may bear the name "Rooney" but it was Al Davis who hired the first black head coach. Not as well known that he also hired the first hispanic head coach (Tom Flores) and the first female CEO (Amy Trask).

Yeah, he got bad in his later years, but I'm old enough to remember how fearsome those old Raider teams were. They were the legitimate villains of the NFL, and I actually posted once a while back that I missed those days of the Raiders being the proverbial "black hats".

Perhaps the best tribute to him is the old school NFL Films narration from John Facenda.

Archived