• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Charles Johnson

methodtoll

Hmm.. Lets see... 20 billion threads on Peppers and Cutler or a couple that rarely are mention... Do you really have room to complain? Seriously?

and honestly... THAT WAS A MONTH AGO... Like anyone is going to go back 80 pages to look up something just to post something today....

Yeah I do. You don't have to get your panties in a wad. There is a search tool and its easy to use.

Yeah I do. You don't have to get your panties in a wad. There is a search tool and its easy to use.

Quit getting so worked up over something so pointless, you're the one who brought it up, you asked for it... Again I ask, would you rather have hundreds of Peppers or Cutler threads or two threads on Johnson? Which by was was post almost three months ago. Like anyone is going to remember that there was a C. Johnson that far back.

My point exactly so quit your complaining...

I had to do some driving today and was wondering how the makeup of the D-line would look if Peppers ended up staying, one year or long term, and with Meeks new style of defense. Peppers of course would continue to be a starter but I personally like both Brayton and Johnson.

Brayton gets a lot of critisim for only being a run stopper but thats just not the case. Brayton is very good at applying pressure and pushing the pocket. The upside that Brayton has is he does this without having to push to the outside and often taking himself out of a play like Johnson has had a tendency of doing.

Johnson on the other hand is a clone of Indy's Mathis IMO. Great speed and power and is continuous in his pursuit. Johnson fits the style of DE in a Meeks defense to the T.

So, for me I like all three of these guys as starters. So why not start all three? IMO, pulling Lewis off of the RDT position and allowing him and Kemo to resume their rotation that was so effective in the past is the best situation for the two of them. Brayton, although I don't like moving him again, is able to play that DT position and could be an ideal option in Meeks' system. Although Brayton isn't known for getting a lot of sacks he has consistantly been able to push his man back which is really all we need out of that DT position with a couple of sacks here and there.

I agree, I think Brayton is better than many think. However, I do believe he surprised some people by being a better all-around DE than expected, so some are not convinced that he can be counted on to play consistently like he did last year. I also think he is better suited to playing in a rotation like he did last year.

As for starting all three if Peppers stays, that may not be as out of the realm of possibility as some might think. I doubt it will happen, but pre-draft, there was some talk that Johnson could eventually put on some weight and be a DT. And since he has been here, he looks like he has added weight, yet has still maintained his quickness. I will also add that he did play DT some last year (as did Brayton), usually on passing downs. But in Meek's defense the DT's are typically smaller DT's that are able to get pressure on the QB. And with his strength and improving pass rushing moves, who knows.

No way Brayton moves inside in my mind. It could happen, but the fact he was tried there in Oakland and got destroyed by all interior lines just makes me shudder when anyone mentions it. We struggled against the run with Kemo out, so I can only imagine what would happen if we put someone even smaller next to him.

I also can't see Johnson as an interior linemen, his greatest assest is getting round the corner. Teams will just use that against him if he is inside consistently as they will just lever him to one side and run i the gap created.

Whilst either of those two may well be used inside on passing downs, we need to be very careful about the size of our DL. As so many teams have DL consisting of fantastic pas rushers, more and more teams are doing what we did last year and get bigger and more physical up front on the OL. If we got smaller up front I think we would be gashed in the running game.

No way Brayton moves inside in my mind. It could happen, but the fact he was tried there in Oakland and got destroyed by all interior lines just makes me shudder when anyone mentions it. We struggled against the run with Kemo out, so I can only imagine what would happen if we put someone even smaller next to him.

I also can't see Johnson as an interior linemen, his greatest assest is getting round the corner. Teams will just use that against him if he is inside consistently as they will just lever him to one side and run i the gap created.

Whilst either of those two may well be used inside on passing downs, we need to be very careful about the size of our DL. As so many teams have DL consisting of fantastic pas rushers, more and more teams are doing what we did last year and get bigger and more physical up front on the OL. If we got smaller up front I think we would be gashed in the running game.

Agreed, its likely that Johnson and Brayton will be the starters if Peppers is traded and I can see us grabbing a DT in the 2nd with Lewis being our rotational guy.

I think he's more of a replacement for Brayton with Peppers or a FA/Draft Pick at the other end if Peppers isn't here.

Not many DEs with the size needed to play the 4-3 this year in the draft. I would def say his is his replacement this year. I like him though and I think the whole line could be better with coaching IMO.

He also struggled and got man handled at DE as well. Of course I'm not a coach so I'm not trying to say this should happen. I was just throwing it out there as a possibility and thought that it could be successful.

As for you comment about going with bigger D-lineman to offset the size of opposing o-lineman, I agree. I just doubt any rookie would be able to come in and replace Lewis as a starter. That only leaves FAs and I think the only DT still out there that could take the starting spot is Robertson and even then I'm not that sure. For the most part, it's extremely hard to find DTs that have the size and speed advantage ideal to what we, the fans, are wanting.

I agree that a rookie DT probably won't be able to come straight in and start but has anyone official actually said the Panthers FO is looking at a DT like Robertson or is that all speculation?

Surely we need another starting caliber DT tho because we all saw what happened when Kemo and Lewis went down, it was not pretty.

I agree that a rookie DT probably won't be able to come straight in and start but has anyone official actually said the Panthers FO is looking at a DT like Robertson or is that all speculation?

Surely we need another starting caliber DT tho because we all saw what happened when Kemo and Lewis went down, it was not pretty.

Everything regarding the Panthers at this point is speculation. They are notoriously tight lipped, and never give any indication of what they are planning or who they are interested in...and anything that does leak, is almost certainly smoke. Heck, you can't even really trust campus visits or who they are working out to get an idea since they look at everyone, and often spend a lot of time and show great interest in players they do not plan on taking.

CJ was unbelievable in the amount of plays he made in the limited amount of play time he had. Now, we don't know if that's because he was fresh or he's just a monster waiting to explode. He's shown signs of brilliance-- one stat in particular that i really liked about CJ is that 7 pass deflected; i hope he starts this year and we draft solid depth to back him and tyler up.

CJ was unbelievable in the amount of plays he made in the limited amount of play time he had. Now, we don't know if that's because he was fresh or he's just a monster waiting to explode. He's shown signs of brilliance-- one stat in particular that i really liked about CJ is that 7 pass deflected; i hope he starts this year and we draft solid depth to back him and tyler up.

We already have Taylor. He showed some flashes last year but he did seem to have problems staying healthy.

Archived