• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

So is there any doubt left as to what position our pick will be?

unicar15

Here is how I figure it might go down (guessing at next week's results)

1. Indy ------------------------ Andrew Luck QB

2. St Louis --- ------------------Matt Kalil LT

3. Washington (trade) -----------Robert Griffin III QB

4. Cleveland --------------------Trent Richardson (or WR Blackmon) RB

5. Minnesota (from Washington)--Justin Blackmon, WR (Minn could take Reiff here)

6. Tampa Bay-------------------Morris Claiborne CB

7. Jacksonville-------------------Michael Floyd, WR

8. Miami ------------------------Landry Jones, QB

OK, who are the players (at positions of questionable degrees of need) left?

DT-Devon Still, Penn State; Brandon Thompson, Clemson (I think there will be some risers here after the combine)-Hurney, let RR take over and sign a free agent--not a scrub either.

WR- Alshon Jeffrey (I am not sure he will succeed in NFL--not immediately, anyhow.)

CB- Dre Kirkpatrick-- a Patrick Peterson type.

OT- Jonathan Martin and Riley Reiff (If we do not take one, a feeding frenzy will follow. Buffalo, KC, Arizona all want LOTs).

MLB- What if Beason is not healing as planned? Luke Kuechley

OG- SOme say David DeCastro is the best lineman in the draft.

OLB-Zach Brown

To me, the OT is a no brainer if Reiff or Martin are on the board, and one will be. Protect CAM!! DT in free agency and a LB in the second round. Let Hogan heal your CB worries. Butler is not bad. Put Munnerlyn back at nickel and you are solid at CB.

I agree.. if we could grab a LT in the draft, we solve 2 problems on the OLine with Gross back at RT to finish his career.. the only position on offense I would go with early..

DT won't be fixed through the draft, if it even needs to be fixed. an extremely good FA DT or nothing..

CB, like DT.. there's no need to grab an average CB.. if the scouting department and coaches feel a CB isn't there as a 1st round pick, there's no need to draft one just for the hell of it..

I really would like to see LT or LB addressed early.. I'm concerned that even if TD is back we need a future plan B much sooner than later.. we've taken a hit in pass coverage without him on the field.. Beason too, but Davis even more I think...

This is my opinion of what we do in the draft:

OLT (better get one now, because there are no good ones after the middle of the first round), Reiff or Martin.

I agree with you 100%. I know it drives some people crazy, but I think the quickest way to becoming an elite team is to have an elite OL and DL.

There probably won't be a DT worth picking where we're selecting, but there will be (IMO) an elite-level OT.

So take him. And keep building. I like the Iowa LT personally.

Then use a value pick in the 2nd round to take an OLB or CB or S.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if there was a guy like Brandon Weeden sitting there in the 6th or 7th round for the Panthers to take him.

If he's still sitting there that late, I'd be all over Weeden. If it wasn't for his age, he'd probably be a 2nd round pick, and maybe even slide into the late first with a big combine and pro-day. I do wonder, though, if he will benefit by all the success rookie QB's have had lately. In the past, I don't think anyone would have looked at him any earlier than the 4th or 5th because at his age, by the time he was developed, he'd only have a few years left. But now teams might think they can plug and play him right away (especially a desperate team that misses out on one early), minimizing the age risk.

As members of this fan base, would you all oppose taking Martin/Reiff with first pick and then trade next year first and fifth to get back into late first and grab a brown/Jenkins?

I would oppose trading up in just about every case, unless we can absolutely take someone to the cleaners value-wise.

We should look for opportunities to trade down this year, not up. This defense needs talent in a number of positions.

I agree with you 100%. I know it drives some people crazy, but I think the quickest way to becoming an elite team is to have an elite OL and DL.

There probably won't be a DT worth picking where we're selecting, but there will be (IMO) an elite-level OT.

So take him. And keep building. I like the Iowa LT personally.

Then use a value pick in the 2nd round to take an OLB or CB or S.

Yeah, The Iowa T (Riley Reiff) is very balanced. He is agressive, but under control. He can play R or LT. He pass blocks and run blocks well. Heck, he has even played some G. His ability to play multiple positions tremendously decreases his bustability.

Gross could either stay on the Left side for a year while RR plays the right side or they could do the switch now.

One final thought for you and Bleys: (This was on WFNZ) Since 2005, something like 18 offensive linemen were taken in the first round. Of those taken, all are starters today. WOW.

CB2 is a very big need. We don't know if we can depend on Hogan to be a solid #2. Butler as a starting CB2 is also a bit of a stretch, at this point anyway. Capt as a starting CB2 is just laughable. I don't see any other position even close to as big need as CB2.

Butler was coming on at the end of the season and we have Hogan. No rookie we draft will come with a guarantee to be a solid #2 either.

Bell was outmatched every week. He is a guard. Ziemba is depth. Otah is probably gone. You have a stud QB and no RT. How can OT be less of a need than QB when we have Hogan and Butler?

OLB to me is a bigger need. Davis is probably gone, and no LB on the roster is a WLB. At least at CB we have improving Butler who is decent and a lot of potential in Hogan.

I see your concern, but I would not call it our biggest need by far. If you do not take a T and Cam goes down by some maniac DE flying around Bell, see if you still feel the same about CB.:)

One more point: OLTs are gone by the middle of the first round. Quality CBs like Janoris ? or CHase Minnefield, will be there in round 2. There are three studs: Kalil, Reiff, and Martin. If we pass on one now, who knows when we will have a chance to draft another. Gross is 33, Otah injured. Heck, even Wharton, Gross's replacement, is 32.

That is significant because if we bring in a LT, we can-if we need the $ to bring in a free agent DT or CB-cut Wharton. With two players who can play LT at a high level, $6 million is a lot for a LG. THe only reason we paid Wharton that was for the backup LT abilities. So, we move Bell or even Otah to RG and Schwartz, Hangartner, or even Bernadeau to LG and use the Wharton money on the CB you want. Drafting OT just makes sense in many ways. Save Cam, upgrade the OL, create cap room, etc.

Archived