• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Stuck..

Reapuh

So I'm joining the Air Force...aaand I thought I was pretty set on joining the Security Forces, but the past couple days I've been thinking about it and I'm just not sure about it anymore...

I mean this is a big decision, and I don't want it to be the wrong thing. Just don't want to end up hating what I'm doing. I scored a 67 on the asvab, so I have a good list of possible careers...

Think I'm gonna talk to my recruiter tomorrow about this..and find out what would be best for me.

I scored a 96 on the ASVAB and almost nearly went Air Force ROTC. I wanted to fly the big cargo planes but I was also DQ'd by DODMERB for the Asthma I had until I was 13, even though I passed the physical. At the time, I ended up thinking of it as a good thing. Basically signing my life away and more or less leaving my career fate in the hands of the brass ended up scaring me out of it anyways, so I didn't contest. There are some pitfalls in the joining the military for sure, but I'll admit that it would have probably better prepared me for adulthood.

If you don't hit pitfall. I live in a military town and know many in the military. A fair share went in thinking they had one career and ended up in something much different. Especially in a downshift from war times where branches might downsize.

Reapuh LITSTEN UP!!! I'm an AF veteran of 8 years do not fuging join security forces. Unless you have a hard on for being a wannabe cop don't fuging do it. SF thinks that their Army so they treat there people like poo. Tell me what you want or are interested in and I will give you the no bullpoo, non political AF recruiter answers. Seriously man the AF is a sweet gig, I have spent almost 2 years deployed, so get used to that. I'm a C17 crew chief (maintenance) I'm in a special duty right now where I fly around the world with the jets. I'm part of aircrew and have seen a ton of poo. Africa and Antartica are the only two continents I haven't been to yet.

You want to check out the Navy - if it's anything like it was when I joined, the Air Force has really general "electronics" guarantees which could mean you work on B-2s or HVAC systems for barracks. That convinced me to go into the Navy instead of the Air Force.

The Navy tends to let you get a bit more specific on the high tech stuff or job rating. Plus you will most likely be close to an ocean somewhere....lol

I scored a 98 on the asvab...they told me I could do annnnnnnything I wanted.....liars..oh here you go..you can be a firefighter and THAT'S it...sorry..deal with it

They put me in DEP for a year..within that year I decided that I didn't wanna do it anymore..so I went to my recruiter and told them that I had lied to get in and that I had in fact done acid and cocaine

I was free to go

Recruiters will do anything to get their quotas and care about what they have to fill FAR more than what you want. If they don't get those firefighter slots filled (for example) they get a bad review and will eventually get shipped back to the fleet (talking Navy here but its the same everywhere). Know EXACTLY what you want AND GET IT IN WRITING. Take a parent or relative that's a vet with you if at all possible.

Recruiters will do anything to get their quotas and care about what they have to fill FAR more than what you want. If they don't get those firefighter slots filled (for example) they get a bad review and will eventually get shipped back to the fleet (talking Navy here but its the same everywhere). Know EXACTLY what you want AND GET IT IN WRITING. Take a parent or relative that's a vet with you if at all possible.

I was actually going to mention to you that if you can't fly, go into firefighting. Not only will you be 40 when you retire, you will be able to be a Fire Chief in a medium sized city afterward, and go for two pensions.

^this for sure

I hate to say it, because I'm friends with a couple of Recruiters. They can be slimy dirt bags when it comes to meeting that quota. I went through that myself when I was set to join. Absolutely know what you want to do and get it in writing from the recruiter. Otherwise you can and likely will be told one thing and get another one once your in.

Archived