• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cam Newton Blames JaMarcus Russell And Vince Young For The Disrespect He Gets

g5jamz

If you want to be blunt about it, sports writers were doubting his intelligence because he was black, and there were rumors he cheated on a test, and he didn't speak well in public.

He stills mixes his metaphors, but to also be blunt, football is not rocket science. I'm convinced Cam is very intelligent and will do great at the NFL level, but I'm also convinced Peyton Manning couldn't describe the breakdown of neutrinos at the event horizon of a black hole if you spotted him Stephen Hawking's paper on the topic.

You have to be really stupid to not be able to grasp the NFL, and Cam's got a great head on his shoulders with the work ethic to use it, so that's all that matters.

Cam will learn that you can't go around saying names and expect there to not be any backlash from that. Sometimes young guys can forget that these guys they're talking about are people too and you're giving them an opportunity to use your fame to up their own profile. Cam should have just said, "there have been athletic quarterbacks like me taken in the first five picks that didn't work as hard as they should have", and that way he could have avoided calling out people specifically. He doesn't need the added drama.

He was responding to how the media was constantly comparing him to them. He didn't actually just call them out. Anyone who was following the draft saw how much the media was intentionally associating him with JR and VY in a negative way and all he's saying is, I get why the comparison was made.

It's wrong that he was constantly beinging compared to them and their failures but the fact that he choose to say, yes these guys have a level of responsibility to step up too so those behind them can continue down that path with their heads held high says he does get it and he's smart enough to hint at the racism that still exist in the NFL toward black QBs without actually saying it.

Name one white QB who was constantly compared to and labeled a failure because of the actions of past QBs?

He was responding to how the media was constantly comparing him to them. He didn't actually just call them out. Anyone who was following the draft saw how much the media was intentionally associating him with JR and VY in a negative way and all he's saying is, I get why the comparison was made.

It's wrong that he was constantly beinging compared to them and their failures but the fact that he choose to say, yes these guys have a level of responsibility to step up too so those behind them can continue down that path with their heads held high says he does get it and he's smart enough to hint at the racism that still exist in the NFL toward black QBs without actually saying it.

Name one white QB who was constantly compared to and labeled a failure because of the actions of past QBs?

Ryan Mallett was constantly compares to Ryan leaf, and is why he fell out of the first round despite having the talent. IT HAPPENS, PLEASE LET THIS CRAP GO.

We got Cammy Cam and we support him 100% that's all that matters now :cam:

You may not remember this, but there was a sizable contingent that dissed Peyton Manning in comparison to the more athletic Ryan Leaf prior to the '98 draft, and called him a choker for never leading Tennessee to the national title. Most 49er fans still call Alex Smith a bust, especially considering they missed on Aaron Rodgers. It does happen, and Andrew Luck's stock will taking a beating (which happens, because you have to be absolutely certain with the #1 pick) up until the draft, even though he will still go #1.

Actually, I remember and when Rayan failed after many chances, he left the NFL on his own accord. No one who came behind him was compared to him as harshly as Cam was compared to Jamarcus and VY.

Andrew Luck stock will only take a beating as to try an not make it so obvious who the media is strongly backing. There is no way he will be treated like Cam.

Do I strongly believe it was all racially motivated? NOPE...I honestly believe that those in the media choose a particular QB who they felt should be picked high and Cam stood in the way of that QB.

I watched in disgust as they tore apart Mallett also but Mallett's head did get the better of him. :o

I want to be clear in the fact that I think that Cam brings up a VERY valid point here and that I do not disagree with his point, but my issue was that Cam doesn't need the extra heat that he will draw from these comments by virtue of dropping names when everybody would have known exactly what he was talking about without even having to mention them. I don't consider that a passive aggressive way to handle the situation, but rather taking the high road and not rubbing another man's failures in his face when life has already humiliated them enough.

I like that Cam doesn't use race as an excuse for his detractors. And in truth that is WHY he is as great as he is right now. It doesn't matter if you're black, blue, white, green, whatever..... if you talk trash about Cam he's going to make you eat it. No excuses matter to Cam. No easy way out he can take to explain his own poor performance if he gives one. That is what champions are made from.

Look...if it were purely on the basis of race, we'd see Josh Freeman's name thrown into the conversation. Difference is, there was never any question of Freeman's work ethic or issues while in college. The college issues with the laptop and the pay-2-play crap with his father is what caused some doubts around Cam. Jamarcus and Vince did not help at all. Are there contributing factors from both sides...absolutely. Him calling out Vince/Jamarcus shows that Cam is a straight shooter and doesn't mince words. I find that an admirable trait.

Look...if it were purely on the basis of race, we'd see Josh Freeman's name thrown into the conversation. Difference is, there was never any question of Freeman's work ethic or issues while in college. The college issues with the laptop and the pay-2-play crap with his father is what caused some doubts around Cam. Jamarcus and Vince did not help at all. Are there contributing factors from both sides...absolutely. Him calling out Vince/Jamarcus shows that Cam is a straight shooter and doesn't mince words. I find that an admirable trait.

Same

Andy Dalton wasn't a 1st over all pick people get a clue.

yeah, Andy Dalton should not be discussed.

Gabbert? People blew Gabbert for no reason. He is like Clausen in many ways......people pretended there game would transistion well. Positive lies. If Clausen (a 2nd rouder like Dalton but projected to be a 1st) or Gabbert were black.....they would have never sniffed the 2nd round. Don't care if that is politically correct or not....Gabbert and Clausen both had weak college game and there skin color aided in people pimping this notion they had all this "inbetween the ears" game.

No one should be shocked Clausen and Gabbert suck. Both were easy to predict.

I have no issue with what Cam said... he was directly compared to Young and Russell. Why not mention them when discussing the pre-draft talk?

I didn't think a QB was the pick because I thought there weren't any QB's in that draft worth that high of a pick. I was flat out wrong.

Picking Cam #1 was the best thing this franchise has ever done.

Archived