• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

CG's Senior Bowl Tuesday Report Thread.

Cat'sGrowl

Wasn't able to make it down for the North practice this morning, but will be watching the practice on the TV (which is admittedly much more difficult than I had anticipated.)

I will be going down for the South's practice later though, and I'm very excited about, and will be able to give some thorough analysis. I had intended to have all these reports in one thread, but started flirting with the character limit in my last thread (which I truthfully didn't know existed)

Senior Bowl links:

http://seniorbowl.com/

http://seniorbowl.com/southroster.asp

http://seniorbowl.com/northroster.asp

Tuesday, January 24th 2012.

seniorbowl.jpg?w=620&h=348

North-

Kirk Cousins seems to be the best QB on the North squad, though that doesn't say too much.

I'm interested in seeing Nick Foles later. Think he may come out of this thing as the best overall QB prospect (of the six.) Think he's got a chance to position himself as the third or fourth QB off the board. Heard Charles Davis mention Weeden had best monday practice, however.

Marvin McNutt seems to be a real effort guy, runs really hard. Hasn't done anything spectacular, and has made a mental mistake or two, but I do think he's got potential.

Alfonzo Dennard had a much better day, but is still very touchy and grabby. That said, he looked much quicker, "shiftier" and just better overall today. Redeemed himself from yesterday's poor performance? Not yet.

Kendall Reyes out of Uconn who seems to be a very athletic guy. Fast, explosive off the snap, has good moves. Made a very nice play in 7 on 7 drills where he was making contact with QB almost instantly.

Ta'amu had another strong day, and was also garnering the praise of the media. I think he had some sporadic wins and losses in 1 on 1's, but really seemed to turn it on in the 7v7s, and was once again dominant. Uses bull rush most often, which is made successful by how fast he explodes out of his stance.

Mike Martin seems to have struggled these past two days, but did make some nice plays today. Fast.

Brian Quick seems to be getting more and more attention. Bucky Brooks mentioned that he spoke to some scouts who believe he's the most athletic guy on the field. That's a "meh" statement to me personally, but I raved about Quick yesterday and I'll do it again today. I think he's moved himself up to a second day pick at least. He has great burst off the line, he's a big strong guy who catches everything. He doesn't have top end acceleration though, and how his speed is, remains to be seen.

Marvin Jones out of Cal is a guy worth looking at. He's a hair under 6'2" and a Big Mac under 200, but he's got good speed out there and had continued to make some great plays the past two day's. Him and McNutt are pretty similar in my mind, with Jones just having more raw ability.

Didn't see too much of Vinny Curry today. Not down on him,he could put on a few pounds though. Is quick though, I will say that for him, and saw him get around the corner a couple of times.

I didn't see too much of the RB's today, unfortunately. I'm curious to see more Pead, and I'd like to see Doug Martin get more involved with some other than drills versus air. Polk did display a nice combo of strength and speed today, but I really just didn't see enough to formulate an opinion.

Brad Nortman is a boomer. Gets lots of hangtime on his kicks. In the post-coffin corner kick era though, it's really hard for a spectator like me to truly gauge his accuracy without assuming anything, so I'll let you guys just make your own opinions on him.

Sean McDermott was there today, as I'm sure some of you saw (How can you miss that head?) That shouldn't be a surprise to anyone, as both practices will be at Ladd Peebles today. Just thought I'd confirm it. He was on the field when he saw him on TV, which would indicate he went out there to interview someone, rather than leaving immediately (which is the norm), fwiw.

South-

Sean Spence wasn't overly impressive. Never made any astounding plays, seemingly kind of thin for a LB.

Antonio Allen and Markelle Martin were the two "starters" at the Safety position. Allen was the taller of the two, and was kind of lanky. Martin was very thin. Allen played better than Martin in my opinion, and the coaches seemed to like him. Both seemed to be the defensive captains, and were vocally calling out assignments pre-snap.

Brandon Boykin is a natural athlete who made some plays at times and struggled at other. He did quite well in the back-pedaling drill, and when he jumps-he doesn't come down until he's ready. Also, I ran into his dad.

Marquise Maze's hamstring started bothering him and I don't believe he did much past warm ups and some drills. He's 5'7" but a bigger 5'7". Patrick Edwards out of Houston was the smallest guy on the field (and there were a bunch) and was super skinny. Just looked up his measureables. He's 5'8" and 168. That's four inches shorter than I and about ten pounds less, and it was noticeable at a point where he came close to me.

Nigel Bradham is a nice prospect. Good size, good pursuit of the ball. Hope we take a peak at him.

Joe Adams played well today, and is garnering some attention but he struggled against Janoris Jenkins-as did everyone else.

Janoris is an incredible cover man. He absolutely blankets his man, with minimal contact beyond five yards. He looks small out there, but his talent is absolutely undeniable. Once of the best cover corner prospects I've ever seen. He's also fast. Ran stride for stride with Joe Adams and locked him down. Has great, shifty hips that enable him to turn in his backpedal on a dime. Do want.

Vick Ballard showed more speed than I thought he had today. but dropped multiple passes out of the backfield. Not the "Joker" we are seeking.

Rainey may be. He had a terrific day. He lined up receiver quite often and burnt corners fairly regularly. The match up between him and Jenkins was a lot of fun. He's got great speed to fly by everyone, and looks very natural and comfortable returning punts. He has a ton of potential, but is one of the slimmest players out there. He got shoved as he was going out of bounds once and went flying into the fence about five yards away-almost hit me.

Casey Hayward started the day off struggling, but reeled off a nice string of good cover plays to end the day. His back pedal seems to be a bit slow, but he closes in on the receiver fast. He made a lot of dumb, basic mistakes as well- while he was struggling he would play his man rather than the ball, and get caught entangled with the receiver, things of that nature. He has a bigger upper body than I had anticipated, and isn't as small as one thinks he is when seeing him on tv.

Zach Brown has a nice nose for the ball carrier in the run game, and got penetration pretty easily on several blitzes.

Brandon Taylor seemed to struggle a bit at times, but would play well at others. Had a nice hit though that got the defense fired up and wowed the crowd.

Juron Criner had a spectacular one handed catch that he had to turn around for and catch with his back hand while he was running down the field. It's hard to describe, but it reminded me a lot of Smitty's catch versus New Orleans in Week 17, except it was with one hand. Crowd went crazy.

Jeff Fuller is a nice, big receiving prospect out of Texas A&M. Good hands, good speed, good size. Needs to use his body more to his advantage. When he did, he would make a great play. There was a time where he "incidentally" ran into Hayward on a 7 route, knocking Hayward down and freeing himself from the coverage for a nice sideline pass right in front of me. If he'd do that more often, he's got good potential, but he occasionally let's those annoying midget corners get in his grill and keep him from doing what he needs to.

Matt McCants out of UAB was one of the best OL guys on the field today. Very aggressive. Finishes every play. Shut down Coples fairly regularly.

Coples struggled in drills, but did much better in full plays. Had a nice strong bull rush through a double team, but other than that, didn't live up to the good things I had heard he did.

One defensive end who did, however, was Mr. Melvin Ingram, who far and away the most dominant player on the field today. He was a freak. As I said McCants played well today, but not even he could handle Melvin. Ingram had some nice pass rushes, but was truly a dominant force in the run game. Blowing into the backfield with ease and giving OL more than they could hand. He was fast, strong, but also very instinctual. Aggressive too, which allowed whomever was calling the plays to take advantage of one opportunity where Ingram blew though the B gap only to find out it was a fake dive right-pitch left around Ingram's side. In fairness, Melvin still almost made the tackle. He was far and away the best DL on the field today. He was also moved back and forth from each end position, finding success on both sides.

None of the QB's stood out from one another.

Saw Cordy Glenn make a few nice blocks, held up against bull rush well enough.

There was some notice for Dwight Bentley from La-Lafayette today from people. Can't find anything on him, but he had solid coverage. kind of like a poor man's Stephon Gilmore. Part of that is because he wears number five and has dreads, but meh.

Keenan Robinson from Texas seemed to be the best Texas defensive player on the field today. "Motor" guy. You seem him exerting effort as he plays, and it paid off with some nice plays.

didn't see any Drew Butlers-all the punts were done on a juggs machine.

Brad Smelley had a nice day blocking and catching.

So, any of you guys have any thoughts?

Fug yes!! Glad to know we are looking to address our punter situation. Taking a punter in the 7th may not be out of the question. But, I am sure there will be a good punter that is UDFA.. there is just not a guaranteed shot that we get them in the FA market. If the panthers want to insure that we get our guy, they need to draft him.

nflcharlie: Carolina #Panthers scouts impressed with Wisconsin punter Brad Nortman. 4.9 second hang time [via Twitter]

Cam Johnson is a 2nd round option for us at DE:

ScoutKennedy: I think the North's top overall performer may go to #virginia's Cam Johnson today at DE. He was big, quick and active off edge #Cavs

ScoutKennedy: #UVA's Cam Johnson has been a terror off the edge. He walked around #osu's mike adams earlier in a pass rush drill, disrupting 11v11 too [via Twitter]

Looks like we are looking at 4th round CBs.

--The Panthers staff in attendance divided and conquered the corners, notably Leonard Johnson and Jamell Fleming.

CG, did you see anyone from the Panthers staff engage any players or chat with them to indicate a mild interest? Or did you see which position(s) we are scouting or attentive to? Just wondering if we are still focusing on both O and D Lines. Thanks.

Guest Bwood15

Fug yes!! Glad to know we are looking to address our punter situation. Taking a punter in the 7th may not be out of the question. But, I am sure there will be a good punter that is UDFA.. there is just not a guaranteed shot that we get them in the FA market. If the panthers want to insure that we get our guy, they need to draft him.

Cam Johnson is a 2nd round option for us at DE:

Looks like we are looking at 4th round CBs.

Great to hear that we're scouting a punter finally.

And I love the way Leonard Johnson plays. He shut down Blackmon when Iowa st. played OKST.

National Football Post has Flemming the 5th rated CB in the draft--Ahead of Jenkins and Minnefield.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/college_player_scouting_report.html&player=33055

"CB FLEMMING balanced, coordinated kid who keeps his feet under him when changing directions and can turn and run. Doesn't give up much separation, knows how to make plays on the football and if he can improve as a tackler looks like a guy who warrants a starting job in the NFL down the line."

Watching the practice right now

Coples isn't impressing in 1 on 1s like I heard

Phillip Blake the OG/OC from Baylor looks like best interior lineman, could be a good pick in the later rounds

Ingram is almost unblockable in the pass rush

Jaye Howard from Florida is killing almost every guard he plays against in pass rushing drills

Markelle Martin looked good in coverage

Keenan Robinson looks great and I'd love for us to take him

Archived