• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Help Me Out Here (Re: Gettis)

YourManInAmsterdam

Another thing to note is that with his under-utilization at baylor, he basically came to us as a blank slate. NFL WRs have such a long transition time because it takes them awhile to learm to rely on technique rather than pure talent to beat thier opponents because everyone has talent in the NFL. With Gettis he showed lots of good technique his rookie year because of his "blank" slate.

Just out of curiosity, you say he was under-utilized in college. Any idea why that may be the case? A cursory look back through statistics and such tells me that it may have been the result of Kendall Wright (projected as 1st round pick in the coming 2012 NFL Draft) coming on to the scene.

Even still, how does a guy that big and that strong with what many have described here as good hands get overlooked at the collegiate level?

Wouldn't it be a man-among-boys kind of situation? Wouldn't he be a collegiate quarterback's wet dream?

So, as I read threads here where our receiver corps comes up, there's always talk about Gettis coming back after his season on IR. There seems to be a lot of interest in him being a major threat and I don't quite understand what that's based on.

I'm not saying it's without good reason. I just haven't seen the information that backs it up.

Here's what I know...

Had some flashes of real potential in 2010 in spite of our quarter back woes. Good size. And that's about it.

So basically, tell me more. What am I missing here?

He almost out-played Steve Smith with the same QBs

Not sure if that's a fair (or at least complete) assessment.

I seem to remember that Smitty was almost always double-teamed that season given that there were no other established WR threats. And there were certainly no TE threats spreading out the secondary.

You bring up a good point. Smitty is going to draw double coverage no matter what. Given his monster season in 2011, teams will gameplan to stop him. What Gettis brings is another deep scoring threat which forces teams to decide who to single cover. In 2010 it was Gettis in 2011 it was either LaFell or Nannee. That won't change in 2012 either unless teams go more cover 2 which keeps the safeties deeper and opens up the underneath routes for the TEs and running backs as well as improves the running game.

Gettis being a weapon next year will stretch the defense and give him opportunities. Even if he put up numbers like Smith, it won't be that he was better simply that teams couldn't gameplan for everyone and Gettis had more opportunities for favorable matchups. Gettis presents matchup problems much like Olsen given their height, hands, and speed.

Just out of curiosity, you say he was under-utilized in college. Any idea why that may be the case? A cursory look back through statistics and such tells me that it may have been the result of Kendall Wright (projected as 1st round pick in the coming 2012 NFL Draft) coming on to the scene.

Even still, how does a guy that big and that strong with what many have described here as good hands get overlooked at the collegiate level?

Wouldn't it be a man-among-boys kind of situation? Wouldn't he be a collegiate quarterback's wet dream?

I'm pretty sure the difference was Wright had RG3 playing great football, not sure who Gettis had...I don't think it was RG3...I imagine Baylor was more of a passing team this year than when Gettis was there.

Gettis is our deep threat. Smitty gets triple covered, Lafell can get open but doesn't have the speed to outrun a defense without breaking tackles or downfield blocking. Legatron is Legatron. We needed another Deep Threat. Like that Randy Moss interview song, his job is to take the top off the defense.

getting injured so early in the season will no doubt make him ready for camp in a few months...He had plenty of time to learn the playbook and watch film and with Chud staying nothing changes. I heard he is rehabbing nicely and he shouldn't loose any speed so I see him being a big part of our O next season.

Lafell 3rd round pick

Gettis 6th round pick

Gettis starts over a underperfrorming Lafell

Gettis is a very fast WR

Gettis is a tall target in the red zone

Cam is a more acurate QB than Jimmy

With Smith as the #1 WR

The TE's being used heavily

With Lafell stepping up

With Gettis speed & Height

There is only one football to throw on any giving play ,so if Gettis is targeted just 10 per cent a game and breaks one ....

I'm pretty sure the difference was Wright had RG3 playing great football, not sure who Gettis had...I don't think it was RG3...I imagine Baylor was more of a passing team this year than when Gettis was there.

Here are the stats from Baylor for the 2009 season (Gettis' Senior year, Kendall Wright's Sophmore year, prior to the RG3 takeover).

RECEIVING GP No. Yds Avg TD Long Avg/G

------------------------------------------------------

Wright, Kendall 12 66 740 11.2 4 59 61.7

Gettis, David 12 52 675 13.0 3 57 56.2

Not that these stats make a particularly compelling case one way or the other. Just thought I'd clear that bit up.

Here are the stats from Baylor for the 2009 season (Gettis' Senior year, Kendall Wright's Sophmore year, prior to the RG3 takeover).

RECEIVING GP No. Yds Avg TD Long Avg/G

------------------------------------------------------

Wright, Kendall 12 66 740 11.2 4 59 61.7

Gettis, David 12 52 675 13.0 3 57 56.2

Not that these stats make a particularly compelling case one way or the other. Just thought I'd clear that bit up.

They were a heavy, heavy running team those four years that Gettis was there. They started to go to a passing attack with Rg3 at the helm.

Archived