• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Gleason signs extension through 2015-16

RedMage138

RALEIGH, NC – Jim Rutherford, President and General Manager of the National Hockey League’s Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that the team has signed defenseman Tim Gleason to a four-year contract extension. The deal will pay Gleason $3.5 million in 2012-13, $4.5 million in 2013-14 and 2014-15 and $3.5 million in 2015-16.

“We thank Tim for choosing to stay with the Hurricanes long term,” said Rutherford. “He is one of our core players, someone who brings character and leadership to our locker room, along with being a key piece on the ice. This is a very important signing for our team going forward.”

Gleason, 29, is in his eighth NHL season and sixth with the Hurricanes, and currently leads all Hurricanes defensemen in hits (87), plus/minus (+2) and total minutes played (1,063). He ranks second among Carolina blueliners in assists (13) and penalty minutes (44), and third in points (14), skating in all 51 games for the team this season.

Originally acquired from the Los Angeles Kings along with Eric Belanger in exchange for Oleg Tverdovsky and Jack Johnson, Gleason has totaled 86 points (13g, 73a) and 416 penalty minutes in 401 games with the Hurricanes. The Clawson, MI, native has led Carolina defensemen in hits each of the past four seasons (2007-08 to 2010-11), ranking fifth among NHL defensemen in hits last season. A first-round selection (23rd overall) of the Ottawa Senators in the 2001 NHL Entry Draft, Gleason (6’0”, 217 lbs.) played his 500th NHL game on Nov. 27 at Ottawa, and has totaled 15 goals, 99 assists (114 points) and 514 penalty minutes in 526 career NHL games with Los Angeles and Carolina.

http://hurricanes.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=614362&navid=DL|CAR|home

Did not see this coming

I actually like this move, Gleason is a real solid player and I think he has a great locker room presence. Really, the only guys on the team that I think are dead weight right now are Bryan Allen, Jaroslav Spacek, and Brian Boucher*. Other than that, I like the roster make-up; they just need to add a few more pieces.

I really hope they keep Ruutu.

I have been outspoken about trying to keep either Gleason or Allen because I like them both. But in honesty, I thought there would be traded or let go in the offseason. I agree with RedMage that extending Gleason's contract is a surprise at this point in the season - I was almost sure that Gleason would be the one on his way out. We did get him relatively cheap with this contract, though. Maybe he just didn't want to go to another town/team and went to his agent and said make it happen. Signing a cheap deal kind of proves his devotion to the organization.

Yeah, Harrison has been great! His new wrist shot has produced a lot of offense. I think he's the best result of Mo's experience with Toronto and it's transition to Carolina. Tlusty is starting to grow on me, too.

Boucher has been injured, so I don't know how you can blame him for anything.

I gotta agree with KK on this one. Allen has been a huge addition on the D since he got here. He is up near the top of the league in blocked shots, and with our porous defense, that skill cannot be overlooked.

That said, I love this deal with Gleason. We are having a shitty year, but no reason to sell off our few good parts.

Archived