• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Stephen Hill

teeray

There were over 10 receivers that ran a sub 4.4 40 at the combine. There is a big difference between straight line speed and speed on the field, quickness, ability to get separation, good route running and catching the ball with your hands and not your body,etc.

Maybe it is me but nothing tells me he is a great wideout and after Jarrett,am not in favor of using a second rounder on a receiver. I would rather look like for a guy who drops into the later rounds but has good talent much like Gettis did a few years ago.

He had 28 catches all year and in the bowl game he had 2 catches for 35 yards. I don't think he would start or even play year 1. That would be fine for a 4th rounder but not a second rounder.

A guy like Streeter is 6"5" and ran a 4.4 as well but he will be a 5th or 6th rounder. If we are going to draft a project, lets not use a high draft pick for them.

Actually I would like a smaller returner type receiver who could fill a Steve Smith role in a few years. I liked devon Wylie. Has 4.3 speed is a great returner and could be had for a late round pick. He is better than Pilares and Edwards combined.

LOL! I just mentioned David Gettis because everybody was so "High" on him. I was expecting this thread to fill up with the "we dont need a receiver" talk. Guess everybody had a change of heart.

True but with Naanee maybe not getting a new deal, Edwards still struggling, the unknown of how Gettis will recover from knee surgery, and Laffell still developing, there isn't mush harm of going to camp with Smith, Laffell, Gettis, Edwards, and Stephen Hill

He had 28 catches all year and in the bowl game he had 2 catches for 35 yards. I don't think he would start or even play year 1. That would be fine for a 4th rounder but not a second rounder.

A guy like Streeter is 6"5" and ran a 4.4 as well but he will be a 5th or 6th rounder. If we are going to draft a project, lets not use a high draft pick for them.

Actually I would like a smaller returner type receiver who could fill a Steve Smith role in a few years.

28 catches in Georgia Tech's offense is like 70 catches anywhere else.

It wasn't just his 40 time that got people buzzing today. It was his hands during the gauntlet and some of the route drills.

At one point on a fade route that was over thrown he stretched out and made a diving catch over his shoulder. I was one of the biggest splash plays of the day.

It is fair to say that his route running is a little raw, but speed, quickness, and hands were impressive and I would say he was the most impressive out of all the WRs today.

Just because Dwayne Jarrett busted doesn't mean we should never draft a WR high in the draft ever again.

To put it in perspective, Blackmon who to this point is the unanimous #1 receiver in this class had about 3 drops today including a couple in the gauntlet.

replace edwards with pilares and I'd be ok with that

Nothing wrong with going to camp with 6 WRs. Doesn't mean they all make it out of camp.

I forgot about Pilares because I think of him as a special teams player rather than a WR at this point.

Hill looked just as good as Floyd in the Gauntlet...Blackmon IMO didn't look like this amazing top-5/10 pick that everyone seemed to say about him. I just didn't see it. I feel like Blackmon was in an offense that he could shine in. He isn't a Dez Bryant. IMO, Blackmon is a 2 WR at best.

With that said, I feel like Hill could be a great receiver 2 years from now, and a number 1 receiver.

28 catches in Georgia Tech's offense is like 70 catches anywhere else.

It wasn't just his 40 time that got people buzzing today. It was his hands during the gauntlet and some of the route drills.

At one point on a fade route that was over thrown he stretched out and made a diving catch over his shoulder. I was one of the biggest splash plays of the day.

It is fair to say that his route running is a little raw, but speed, quickness, and hands were impressive and I would say he was the most impressive out of all the WRs today.

Just because Dwayne Jarrett busted doesn't mean we should never draft a WR high in the draft ever again.

To put it in perspective, Blackmon who to this point is the unanimous #1 receiver in this class had about 3 drops today including a couple in the gauntlet.

If Hill was a fourth or 5th rounder then I would take him. But not a first or second rounder. There are other guys with similar skills and speed who will be available in rounds 5-7. He is not so great that you are compelled to reach for him. Gettis has his skills and will play for us this year and was a 6th rounder. I would rather find a 6th or 7th rounder like Devon Wylie who is a Steve Smith kind of returner, would be a great slot receiver and would be cheap to pick up.

If Hill was a fourth or 5th rounder then I would take him. But not a first or second rounder. There are other guys with similar skills and speed who will be available in rounds 5-7. He is not so great that you are compelled to reach for him. Gettis has his skills and will play for us this year and was a 6th rounder. I would rather find a 6th or 7th rounder like Devon Wylie who is a Steve Smith kind of returner, would be a great slot receiver and would be cheap to pick up.

Just a couple of things. There were only 5 WRs that ran a sub 4.40, not 10. Out of those 5 only one is taller than 6'0 and that was Stephen Hill. Not only is he 6'4 but he also recorded 39.5 vertical jump. That was good for 4th out of all the wide receivers. Out of the three ahead of him none were over 6'0 tall.

He was first in the broad jump at 11'1". No other WR was 4 inches of his jump. Neither of the other guys within half a foot of his broad jump were over 6'0 tall.

In other words, there aren't very many guys with his physical attributes in this draft or likely any other draft.

Obviously he isn't a perfect product or else he would be a slam dunk top 10 pick with those measurables. But lets not pretend there are going to be guys with similar athletic abilities in the 6th or 7th round.

As far as WR is concerned, I am convinced Jeffery isn't being considered anymore. 2nd round could be used on WR, have to see who is still on the board is all.

Jeffrey may not even be considered by anyone until late in the second round unless he has a really, really good pro day.

He has raised even more red flags by losing all that weight but still not running the 40. His entire stock will be based on him running 4.6 or faster at his pro day.

But with Blackmon, Michael Floyd and others really impressing he may sweat for a while on draft night

Archived