• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Major Bobcats Announcement Coming Soon?

Again, meh... (and I was never a Hornets fan, I can just understand people wanting the brand). What it all comes down to is Shin ended up being a shitty person that Charlotte turned on. The city didn't turn on the team, but when you want to show your distaste for a team owner, the best way to directly affect him is by not giving him your money, which means not going to the games. Again, that doesn't mean the city gave up on the Hornets... They gave up on supporting Shinn.

Same thing has happened with Bob Johnson. Now, MJ's fighting a huge uphill battle to do damage control. One thing he can consider is the name change. There's obviously support in the city for the idea and I guarantee you he's trying to decide if it makes business sense. If they get to a point where it does and its possible...? I can see it happening. And don't really see how it'll be a bad thing. It'll provide a small bubble of positive buzz which MJ can use to bring the team along.

At the end of the day, Shinn made mistakes that turned the city against him, Johnson never embraced the city (and managed to piss off more people than he made happy) and outside of bringing in a team and getting a stadium did nothing for the NBA culture in Charlotte, and now MJ's left in the bad spot of trying to pick up the pieces.

I may be wrong but I thought the last few seasons for the Hornets were pretty much all sell outs and the reason Shinn wanted out of Charlotte is because Charlotte didn't want to give the Hornets an uptown arena at that time. I don't think anyone gave up on Shinn or the Hornets. They just hated him. There was nothing wrong with the old Colisuem. IT was bigger, more alive and the parking was MUCH better. But it wasn't what Mr. Shinn wanted.

Side note: I still think it is funny that George Shinn graduated last in his class at A.L. Brown High School and somehow became an NBA owner. Nothing against that and it doesn't have to do with anything. Just always thought that was funny.

To this point, Bob has done far more than MJ has and spent far more money too. The pupil has not done more than the teacher. "Outside of a bringing in a team and getting a stadium did nothing for the NBA culture in Charlotte". Listen to yourself. How many people bring teams and get stadiums in Charlotte? You speak as if thats a common thing. C'mon man, yall can do better than this. There's gotta be a better way to marginalize the founder of the Charlotte Bobcats. Bob Johnson is a part of Charlotte history forever.

I think most anyone who regularly follows the Bobcats would wholeheartedly disagree with you about Bob Johnson doing more than MJ. Ok, so he bought the expansion team that helped get the uptown arena built. Outside of that he did nothing but alienate the city. When did you ever hear announcements about donating money to middle school sports programs to keep them going? Or the Cats Care initiative where the owner MJ was helping others hand out food to the needy? While MJ's track record of building a winning team is certainly not very good at the moment, his track record off the court in the community is far better. Jordan did more in 6 months than Bob Johnson did in 6 years.

Attendance dropped drastically for the Hornets the last few years, but minus what Shin did himself personally. The Hornets would've had to have gotten a new arena to stay in Charlotte, unless it was ok for them to continue to loose money.

Also 610 the Fan mentioned a Bobcat's announcement, Boris Diaw has been bought out. LoL

Meh... Apples and oranges. Half of the haters in Charlotte were too hillbilly to look past the color of Cam's skin like you preached for months and the other half were too dumb to do more than be spoon fed the garbage that the media was spewing.

Bob Johnson on the other hand did things like put the team name to a public vote, then spit on the response and did what he liked. All while not giving a poo about the city or creating a bridge between the organization and the city. That's evident in him scrapping the whole PR group for the cats.

More racist ignorance from you....why are we not surprised.

Still trying to spew that whole "People did not want Cam because he is black" thing. It was crap then...and it is crap now.

People questioned Cam because of the offense he ran at Auburn and the fact that he did NOT display the skills at Auburn necessary to be an NFL QB....but is has been shown that he did not do those things at Auburn BECAUSE of the offense they ran...not becuase of a lack of skill.

He has proven to be an incredible talent....and the city has fully embraced him.

If everyone was against him because of color....they would still be against him.

I think most anyone who regularly follows the Bobcats would wholeheartedly disagree with you about Bob Johnson doing more than MJ. Ok, so he bought the expansion team that helped get the uptown arena built. Outside of that he did nothing but alienate the city. When did you ever hear announcements about donating money to middle school sports programs to keep them going? Or the Cats Care initiative where the owner MJ was helping others hand out food to the needy? While MJ's track record of building a winning team is certainly not very good at the moment, his track record off the court in the community is far better. Jordan did more in 6 months than Bob Johnson did in 6 years.

Exactly.

All Johnson did was pay for the team. Then....he did absolutely nothing. He was a terrible owner.

Shinn was a piece of human garbage. He was a crook and had low morals. That is why Charlotte turned their back on him. It was to force him to sell the team. He was just too damn arrogant to do it.

The citizens of Charlotte said that we would rather not have an NBA team....than have an NBA team run by the likes of George Shinn.

The city has not embraced the Bobcats for one reason.......THEY SUCK.....and they have always sucked.

More racist ignorance from you....why are we not surprised.

Still trying to spew that whole "People did not want Cam because he is black" thing. It was crap then...and it is crap now.

People questioned Cam because of the offense he ran at Auburn and the fact that he did NOT display the skills at Auburn necessary to be an NFL QB....but is has been shown that he did not do those things at Auburn BECAUSE of the offense they ran...not becuase of a lack of skill.

He has proven to be an incredible talent....and the city has fully embraced him.

If everyone was against him because of color....they would still be against him.

There were people that did not want Cam because he's black. Hell look at the Marriage Proposition if you need any proof that there's still hate and bigotry right in your own backyard.

But unfortunately for you Bob was born, and he did put up the money to pay the expansion fee for us to get our Bobcats franchise. He did come up with the Bobcats logo and scheme, organization, etc, thus he is the FOUNDER of our NBA team. He did oversee the team its first 5 years of existence. He did bring Jordan into the fold and ultimately sold him the team. You guys can allow your bitterness to hold you and keep romanticizing the Hornets, the rest of us are living in 2012 supporting our Cats.

And then he bailed on the bobcats because he hated them.

No. It's not happening.

Good, although the Bobcat have been a terrible fail for most of their existence, i'm still holding out hope that we can somewhat become at least a midtier team that occasionally sees some success. Being this bad now is just ....insufferable.

In Biyombo I trust :cam:

anyone speculating that we could be contracted?

No way the NBA allows a team to be contracted (at least while David Stern is running things). Hell, New Orleans hasnt had an owner for like 6 months or something and yet the NBA wont even allow it to be sold cheaply because it would hurt the league's image. Contracting a team makes the NBA look weak as a whole even if you could argue that it could help

Archived