• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is It Ever Wrong To Call Someone Sir?

Brokenbad

Besides the obvious misuse of calling a woman sir, is it ever offensive to call male sir?

I ask this because a customer became upset today when my coworker routinely answered his question with sir at the end. The customer specifically said that he didnt play the disrespectful "sir" game.

Why would anyone be upset by being called sir?

I make my kids say it to any adult male/authority figure. Maam for any adult female/authority figure.

I use it too to provide an example. I've never had anyone get upset at my use of it. I'd take it as a sign of ignorance of someone that got upset about it and just let it go.

Besides the obvious misuse of calling a woman sir, is it ever offensive to call male sir?

I ask this because a customer became upset today when my coworker routinely answered his question with sir at the end. The customer specifically said that he didnt play the disrespectful "sir" game.

Why would anyone be upset by being called sir?

Not from where i come from

It's called being polite!

It doesn't make sense to end every phrase with "mam" or "sir." If you use the terms correctly you add it in appropriately without thinking. You can always tell who doesn't use the words on a regular basis as they use it too much or in the wrong phrases.

I'm not sure what the "right" and "wrong" phrases are but it just sounds bad sometimes.

I don't like being called sir, that's what you call my dad.

From the guys comment it sounds like he thought your coworker was being sarcastic.

A pointed "SIR" at the end of a sentence is the same as a "PAL" or a "CHIEF"

I did not notice the coworker overusing sir, but perhaps my judgement is clouded by how often I use sir/mam.

Both my coworker and I are veterans and that doesn't help.

Archived