• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Otah Knee OK after MRI

panther4life

It's a good thing he had the MRI done bc he did have swelling and they needed to see if there was damage. If he had reinjured it, practicing more would have been stupid.

Trying to fight through the pain in the offseason is stupid. That being said, it is a bad omen to have swelling this early on. And it does seem that Otah has been content to sit out even during the regular season instead of fighting through it.

At this point, I think the coaching staff is rolling with Byron Bell and hoping he progresses. He doesn't have the talent of Otah, but I am doubtful Otah will be healthy on an extended basis.

Cutting Otah is still foolish. The Panthers can't get a comparable backup of his caliber for probably any less than they will pay him.

Let's hope for the 5% chance a miracle happens and Otah can play this year. He is a good player when he can play.

If he gets seriously hurt again, the team can injury settlement/waive him during camp and move on.

Realistically Otah will probably be here one last year as a backup and a sad example of how injury can derail a promising career. I won't call him soft, bc he is the one that has to live with his body years from now. Still, it sucks to think of all of the unfulfilled football potential.

Hogan stated his knee is still swelling..They will have to bring them back slowly.Just hope the big guy will get in shape.We will be lucky to get one more year from him

to play football on any level, you have to be able to play thru pain. and this guy cannot/ will not do so.

Problem is that NONE of us know what level of pain Otah experienced. We have no idea what he was feeling or what his body was going through.

We just sit at out computers and make sarcastic and uninformed remarks....all of us (myself included).

Problem is that NONE of us know what level of pain Otah experienced. We have no idea what he was feeling or what his body was going through.

We just sit at out computers and make sarcastic and uninformed remarks....all of us (myself included).

you are right we dont, but other teammates have called him out on it. he has had the knack for being soft since college, if he is in that much pain he needs find another profession that will not put this much stress onto his body.

you are right we dont, but other teammates have called him out on it. he has had the knack for being soft since college, if he is in that much pain he needs find another profession that will not put this much stress onto his body.

I don't believe he ever missed a game in college. I don't remember any issues concerning this when we draften him.....but I may be wrong.

I want to see Otah out there as much as anyone. Guy is a beast when healthy. He just may have knees that cannot handle the stress and weight that they are carrying.

My previous comment was not meant as a slam on you. Your comments about Otah have been pretty reasonable. It was meant more at all of the idiots who are calling him lazy, out of shape, soft, etc.

Unless you have ever had chronic knee issues, no one knows how much pain the guy is having.

The Panthers are paying him about 2.5 millions of dollars this year alone - what other profession pays that kind of money?

i guess you missed the meltdown here last week

You say "meltdown", I say "knee-jerk" reaction. There was no call or need for all the hate JO got last week. In the case of serious injury, MRI's are taken to gauge progress and possibly change treatment. In the case of chronically injured a byproduct of the test at this stage is also a tool to help the injured regain some confidence in the repair. If a "tweak" possibly jeopardizes the progress or confidence, its a drop in the bucket to take the precaution. All the "contract year" talk is relevant. Not in the way that the morons on this board use it, but more so in the way that it is forefront in Otah's mind. It has to be. To him the performance he gives during his contract year is dependent on one thing and that one thing is not "effort" or "fitness". That one thing is the same "one thing" it has been since he first missed time as a starter. Injury. He's been hurt and he's come back too early at least once. For an MRI to happen now is likely the best news we have heard outta his camp in years. Too bad the idiots around were/are way too immature and detached from reality to understand that.

oh, and the tweet that started the wildfire was not only an example of irresponsible journalism but apparently all that was needed to send the huddle into an Otah-bashing tirade. I wonder what it feels like to be so stupid that some mindless, random parrot in the media can pull your strings with such ease.

This is the first time he has been practicing in a year. Lets see what happened. This seems mostly precautionary. Now that he knows it is fine he will just have to adjust to the pain level or not. As has been mentioned, he either will play through the pain because he wants it or not. It is his choice.

dont know, but he has played in 4 out of the last 35 games. they are not paying him to sit on the bench and ir.

they will pay him to be on IR just like they pay Thomas Davis to be on IR every year

Funny with Otah the staff is taking it safe and slow but he will start if he wants it. Yet with Beason its he is not 100% and there is very little chance he will ever be the same again.

Gotta love huddle logic.

Funny with Otah the staff is taking it safe and slow but he will start if he wants it. Yet with Beason its he is not 100% and there is very little chance he will ever be the same again.

Gotta love huddle logic.

You do understand the difference in injuries?

Otah...knee scoped.

Beason...ruptured his achilles

Davis...3rd Tear of ACL

Recovery times and results from these injuries are VERY different.

You do understand the difference in injuries?

Otah...knee scoped.

Beason...ruptured his achilles

Davis...3rd Tear of ACL

Recovery times and results from these injuries are VERY different. Many players have NEVER returned at full strength from the injureis that Beason/Davis suffered. Otah's was a standard cleaning out of the knee. Not even in the same vicinity.

Archived