• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Huddle Workout Warriors

Darth Biscuit

Also an update for me...   Following my grandmother passing back in November and me subsequently leaving my horrible job after being shat on throughout the duration of my time there and then wondering what was my purpose in life, lol, I got into a pretty big funk and crossed a threshold I never thought I was capable of...   I, at 5'10,"exceeded 200lbs for the first time in my life.  The highest I actually saw on the scale was 203, but I'm pretty sure I was a little bigger than that at some point.

I got more serious than I ever have about losing weight...  My goal is to get back and lean down to my "prime shape," weight and then put on more muscle mass after I reach that.  I was 203 in mid-may.   I started reading up on the science behind weight loss and really buckled down on following that. 

When I was less than 10% bf in my late teens-early twenties, I ate like crap but I basically did non-stop anaerobic exercises and sprinkled in some weight lifting...   Looking back, the difference was, I didn't indulge in junk.   I ate it all the time, but I didn't over eat and was always active.  When I got to college, and had my kids, I got comfortable.   I quit being physically active and in a double dose of dumb, I started eating fast food like never before and definitely did overeat and indulge.  I gave no thought to portions...  And considering what good shape I had always been in, I thought it was impossible to ever get fat.  I was wrong lol. 

Anyway, what I learned in researching the science behind it was, basically no matter how good your metabolism, especially if you are already overweight, you can't out exercise a horrible diet.  I read something like out of your body's total caloric burn, only 15% of it is determined by working out...  So if you eat 3 big macs a day, and a bunch of other crap on top of it as snacks, you won't out work that, no matter what you do.  The highest percentage of your caloric burn comes from your natural body processes (breathing, just being alive)...  So again, it illustrated how important diet was.  I also learned why it always seemed so much easier to stay in shape when I was already in shape even if I ate bad, versus getting overweight and tthen trying to lose weight and get back in shape...   Basically, fat loves company and muscle burns fat.  So when I was lean, anytime I ate bad, already being mostly lean muscle helped burn the fat at  a greater rate.  But, when you're fat, your body welcomes more fat at a higher rate and your metabolism slows to allow more fat to accumulate. 

So, I'm sure at this point I'm talking to myself like an asshole, but oh well...

So, after reading about that and then reading how easy it was once you get your diet in check, I realize I had to make changes I never thought I would before and decided to start tracking my calories.  

So, then I started insanity again...  I use myfitnesspal everyday to track my cals, and I went from that 203 in mid-may to now currently 174.  I started going to the gym with a friend and tried Kris gethin's 12 week trainer on Bodybuilding.com, which lended itself to me abandoning insanity about a week into month two lol...   But then I got frustrated by my friend's lack of self-motivation and his shitty gym aka Planet Fatness.  I got the fuging lunk alarm pulled on me for lowering my rubber dumbbells about a foot off the floor and then dropping them following presses to failure...  Meanwhile, some authentic assholes were banging metal on metal on fuging Smith machines and got nothing.   I seem to have that effect on people lol.  Furthermore, my friend allowed his nazi wife to dictate that he couldn't go to the gym as many days as that program requires, and he was my free pass in.  So, combine the fact that his schedule wouldn't allow us to do the program the way it was supposed to be done and then having a lunk alarm pulled on me, I abandoned that for the time being.  So, I now joined a lifetime fitness and love it, but I have been slacking the last two weeks with my kids starting school back, and haven't lifted in almost a month now, in part due to hurting my shoulders with all those heavy presses and flyes, so I needed to rest them.  But, I've maintained my calorie tracking for the most part and am currently trying to figure out what kind of program I want to do...   I'm trying to find a three day lifting program that isn't ridiculous but will give me muscle mass while I'm still leaning down.  In the meantime, I need to get back on my HIIT cardio, but I'm proud of myself so far.

Also,i have to recommend, in my "research" I found the documentary "Fathead" to be amazing,  along with  an article I read on Bodybuilding.com about the twinkle diet equally fascinating.  Check them out!  It shows as long as you track your cals, you don't have to be miserable, but at the same time, it also opens your eyes up to how much more you can eat of a salad versus how little you would eat in a day if it strictly pizza and doughnuts. 

THE END. 

Can anyone recommend some workouts that target the core besides crunches and poo? On ab days, I find my self doing a lot of laying around which I feel like lowers my heart rate and kills the momentum I have going. I want to add more workouts such as different weight lifting excersises that target the abs so I'm not laying around doing the same crunch excersise.

Also, would it be better for me to keep focus more on cardio than ab routines until I get rid of my belly fat? I feel like I can work my abs all I want, but until I can get rid of my excess belly fat, I wont see any results. Should I up my cardio and wait until I have a flat stomach before really focusing on ab excersises?

Do lots of cardio to get rid of the fat. You can work your abs doing cardio too with moves like high knees, high knees with a twist, power jumps, plank in and outs, switch kicks, low and high plank knee to elbow at a fast pace, those are a few examples.  

edit: Oh and my favorite 8 push ups followed by running in plank repeated. 

Archived