• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why our Defense is bad and why it (hopefully) shouldn't be a problem - A baseless theory by Rags

Rags

I will gladly ignore strength, conditioning, and technigue if you grant yourself one incredible game day experience against the Failcunts this year. I do make the best turds in the south, aside from the turd master himself....

What are these turds of which you speak, this is the 2nd time I have heard them mentioned on this site. The other time by the art dude avatar.

What are these turds of which you speak, this is the 2nd time I have heard them mentioned on this site. The other time by the art dude avatar.

my god, I hate your life.. lol

SCP should handle this topic better than I, yet I was there for his first Turd... Now I'm hungry.. and it's only midnight so I may have a chance to wrap some bacon around meat and slap a hoe for their contribution...

seriously, try a turd and your life will not be the same....

I agree with the OP regarding priorities. Ron, perhaps with lots of input from Hurney, is clearly doing all he can to keep the offense strong. Keep in mind that he has had success with D everywhere he's been, so I'm sure he feels he can mold a good defense without superstars left and right. We'll see if he's right.

One thing that bothers me...many posters are making the assumption that Nakamura is going to be an upgrade for us at safety. We need to keep in mind that we have not seen this guy play for any extended period. He may be better, and I hope he is, but nothing is proven yet so expectations should be tempered a bit.

I'm going to add to what I wrote earlier.

RR didn't wake up trying to build only a competent D. JR didn't pay Rivera to do that. Saying that RR is doing that and not trying to build a top15, top10 or top5 D is really silly.

If RR isn't trying to build a top 5-15 D, why extend guys like Beason, Anderson, Godfrey and give a buck load of money to CJ?

Just bc our D plays like a bottom 20-32 D doesn't mean we are trying to just have a competent D. It's just that some of our talents on the field are just not so good and "we haven't had the right situation to built one".

In 2010, Clausen sucked so bad that we needed to draft a QB of the future. I think we could seriously make the point that "JR" had something to do with the drafting of Cam. And it wasn't just RR and Hurney's decision. Rivera knows defense and I know he knew there was a stud DT in Dareus there to be pick, but instead he chose to pick Cam. I believe that if the decision was all on RR, he would've took Dareus. But thanks to JR needing a face of the franchise and to put bodies in those seats, we took Cam.

There was a reason why Michael Brockers was the first guy RR had in for a visit not so long ago. There's a reason why RR chose a LB very high in the recent draft at No.9.

If we only wanted to be competent and upgrade the offense, I think RR would've took a offensive weapon for Cam to play with in the previous draft.

In conclusion, we are trying to build a top 5 D. It just might take a bit long. Defense win Championships if I remember correctly.

I'm going to add to what I wrote earlier.

RR didn't wake up trying to build only a competent D. JR didn't pay Rivera to do that. Saying that RR is doing that and not trying to build a top15, top10 or top5 D is really silly.

If RR isn't trying to build a top 5-15 D, why extend guys like Beason, Anderson, Godfrey and give a buck load of money to CJ?

Just bc our D plays like a bottom 20-32 D doesn't mean we are trying to just have a competent D. It's just that some of our talents on the field are just not so good and we haven't had the right situation to build one.

2010, Clausen sucked do bad that we needed to draft a QB of the future. I think we could seriously make the point that "JR" had something to do with the drafting of Cam. And it wasn't just RR and Hurney's decision. Rivera knows defense and I know he knew there was a stud DT in Dareus there to be pick, but instead he choose to pick Cam. I believes if the decision was all on RR, he would've took Dareus. But thanks to JR needing a face of the franchise and to put bodies in those seats, we took Cam.

There was a reason why Michael Brockers was the first guy RR had in for a visit not so long ago. There's a reason why RR chose a LB very high in the recent draft at No.9.

If we only wanted to be competent and upgrade the offense, I think RR would've took a offensive weapon for Cam to play with in the previous draft.

In conclusion, we are trying trying to build a top 5 D. It just might take a bit long. Defense win Championships if I remember correctly.

This defense will improve once the weak links are removed

(captain, Godfrey, Martin......hardy- I'm giving him one more season, then he goes on the shiz list)

This defense will improve once the weak links are removed

(captain, Godfrey, Martin......hardy- I'm giving him one more season, then he goes on the shiz list)

Yup agree. Capt if hes willing to be a Nickle and ST player, I'm happy to have him.

Godfrey, Martin and Hardy all needs to go at some point.

And people needs to quit thinking Nakamura or Smith can be Saviors for us back there.

if Beason can stay healthy and not having an lingering effects or injuries again, then our LBs are pretty good for a while. With Beason, Anderson, and Kuechly. IF Hogan, and Norman are good players then we are good at CB for a while. What we HAVE to add to our defense is 2 really good starting safeties, 2 really good DTs, and 1 good DE. I hope Hardy is awesome this year. If he doesn't give it his all every play, every game, then he needs to go. I am really hoping to see good things from Frank Alexander. I think he could be another Charles Johnson.

What we HAVE to add to our defense is 2 really good starting safeties, 2 really good DTs, and 1 good DE.

I agree with your assessment of our needs.

Keep in mind, though, in today's salary capped league, no team has all their spots filled with really good players. The trick is to have a good scheme, and have really good players in key spots as the glue to hold everything together.

The point is, we don't have to improve all the mentioned spots to be good. There is no reason we can't continually upgrade while maintaining a high level of performance.

if Beason can stay healthy and not having an lingering effects or injuries again, then our LBs are pretty good for a while. With Beason, Anderson, and Kuechly. IF Hogan, and Norman are good players then we are good at CB for a while. What we HAVE to add to our defense is 2 really good starting safeties, 2 really good DTs, and 1 good DE. I hope Hardy is awesome this year. If he doesn't give it his all every play, every game, then he needs to go. I am really hoping to see good things from Frank Alexander. I think he could be another Charles Johnson.

I seriously would not mind drafting two Safties 1-2 in next year draft.

my god, I hate your life.. lol

SCP should handle this topic better than I, yet I was there for his first Turd... Now I'm hungry.. and it's only midnight so I may have a chance to wrap some bacon around meat and slap a hoe for their contribution...

seriously, try a turd and your life will not be the same....

That has to be the most vague response in the history of vague responses.

Hey dude, I'm not fuggin joking and/or am I smoking anything.

I'm so tired of watching Godfrey and Martin back there that Im seriously will not mind us taking a Safety in back to back round. Though it will not happen.

I'd like to draft the most athletic DEs we can find. Guys built like JPP or the guy New England drafted Chandler Jones. Guys with long arms and long legs who have that explosion and speed. Just pure athleticism. The athleticism needs to be improved on defense. I'm happy they added Kuechly because he gives u everything. Speed, tackling, coverage. he's a super athlete basically. Now we just need more of those up front.

I'm onboard the "draft DEs with unreal athletic ability" train

Alexander is kind of in the mold you described, just not quite to their level.

About Hardy, I don't understand why some of you think he should be on the bubble, or that this is a make or break season. He's been very solid both years. He was a weakness vs the run, and that needs to be fixed, but he's not so bad at it that it's such a detriment that he needs to be (or is even close to needing to be) cut. He bulked up, he's still learning the defense, so hopefully he'll get better vs the run. He is still excellent at pressuring the QB and deflecting passes, that alone makes him better than your average DE. He only had 4 sacks last year? So what, how many other teams have multiple double digit sack DEs? Indianapolis? NYG at one point? Hardy is better than your average DE2, he's just not elite yet. He's nowhere near the roster bubble...

Archived