• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Marty Hurney interview on WFNZ @ 8:45a

Johnny Rockets

I listened to it too. I think on balance, I still back Hurney. Yeah, there have been some missteps over the years, but on the whole I think there have been more good moves than bad. I also would rather have a hands off owner like JR than a control freak like Jerry Jones. I believe him when he says that losing eats at him as much or more than anybody else, and that he fully understands the fans' ire and the fingers pointed at him. And finally, I also agree with him that we have a ton of talent on this team. When the Panthers themselves realize it and put it to use, I still believe we're going to be delighted with the result. It's just that getting there is a painful journey.

Thanks for the brief paragraph.

I like the fact we have a hands off owner, but jesus christ I do not understand why JR kept Hurney around after 8 years of mediocrity. Coming off a 2-14 season, #1 draft pick, new coaching staff, etc., was a perfect time for a fresh start. 8-10 years as a manager of any professional sports organization is considered a long tenure in one place, especially when your win average is around the .500 mark. Just doesn't make sense given the perfect opportunity/time to bring in someone else. At least we aren't the Browns .......

...... yet.

You do realize we had a down right good draft dont you? Keek,Alexander,and Norman are all going to be good players. The only problem with Hurney is that he is not willing to put any money in FA. We have one of the smallest scouting departments for pro scouts so it no surprise that we get bad talent. He just has a bad plan and its been bad since 09.

How can you say we had good draft this year after 4 games? You gotta give a draft class 3 yrs to know whether it was good or not. Look at Keary Colbert he had a good rookie season and then what happened?

I like the fact Hurney was truthful in this interview and you can tell his passion for this team. Guys dont see this as bad news because if he feels this way, he knows he has made a mistake. The man will sit down after this year and hopefully come out with a better plan. His only flaw is he went from one extreme to another. We dont have to pay FA tons of money but we dont have to not pick any players out of FA either. I think he realizes this now.

How can you say we had good draft this year after 4 games? You gotta give a draft class 3 yrs to know whether it was good or not. Look at Keary Colbert he had a good rookie season and then what happened?

The 3 years thing is a bunch of poo. You can tell if a player is going to be good within a year or two. We have 4 starters out of this draft barring injuries.

I think Hurney is a middle of the road GM. He nails his first round picks, which is not a 100% given (just look around the league). He finds some decent players in later rounds once in a while. If he had solid picks in the 2-3 round I don't think we'd be having this big of a discussion on it.

I like the overall "build through the draft" deal, but agree you have got to plug in a FA once in a while.

Also, anyone who thinks Otah was a bad pick (at the time) is nutso. If the kid didn't have injuries/rehab/work ethic issues, he'd be a pro bowler by now. But no one saw that coming. Those things happen.

That being said, he's probably run his course with this team and change can be good, if we get the right guy.

The 3 years thing is a bunch of poo. You can tell if a player is going to be good within a year or two. We have 4 starters out of this draft barring injuries.

We shall see. I am rooting for them to succeed but I cant say it was a good draft after 4 games. They have flashed I especially like Alexander.

Overall from this interview Hurney sounds frustrated and its a race to who gets fired first. My guess is Hurney will lay it down to Rivera he better shape up or ship out. He basically agreed with everyone in he wished Rivera went for it on 4th and 1 and the fact that Luke is one of the better coverage LB but he is subbed out on passing downs i mean look at his 1st NFL game this preseason how many picks did he have?

It was the most emotional interview I have ever heard from him.On one hand he stated he was accountable but seemed defensive with each specific question that was ask of him.I would have like to have heard him take accountability on the talent he has or in his case has not assembled to be a team in contention for a playoff spot.He appeared as he did not know where he has gone wrong or what he was going to do to fix it.I get the feeling unless we have a major turnaround this season he will be gone.

It was probably the most emotional I've ever heard him and I believe he meant every word he said. I appreciate the fire and honesty...I also appreciate not being fed a line of platitudes.

Unfortunately it does not earn him any good will with me. We have replaced virtually every part of this organization since he's been here. He's next up and I hope he doesn't have a whole lot of rope to hang himself with...because if the problem does ultimately boil down to him I don't want to put up with it any longer.

We shall see. I am rooting for them to succeed but I cant say it was a good draft after 4 games. They have flashed I especially like Alexander.

Look back and notice all those players that needed 3 years did not pan out. Even Hurney has jumped off that band wagon as apparent by cutting McClain after one year. Every player that made it contributed there first year.

I listen to the mac attack everyday, its the only sports show in charlotte worth the time listing to.. Those guys did a great job with that interview. Marty did feel more tense than usual. I think he has finally realized some of his personel dicision were mistakes and he can feel his seat gettng hotter. Especially with that nation wide article that came out about him

Still talking about the interview on the Bustin Loose show. Frank Garcia is showing him or JR any mercy.

Millen was fired due to angry fans holding a protest. I swear, every day I get closer and closer to writing that letter to JR. Maybe you Charlotte boys could organize a protest of sorts. JR will do nothing until someone gets in HIS face. And to date, I bet not one person has. Ok, maybe his sons. Oops.

May have to boycott Bojangles

Archived