• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Second City Mock 1.0

Catalyst

I'm not gonna go into the new GM or anything else since we don't know that yet. I'm assuming here that Rivera does end up staying and that the staff also returns more or less in tact - at least in terms of Chud, Shula, & McDermott.

RESTRUCTURE DEALS:

Jordan Gross - At least until we see what happens on draft day. If we land a 1st round OT we can trade him on day 2. Somebody will give up a 4th or 5th for an experienced former Pro Bowl LT.

Charles Johnson - Simple restructure job here.

Chris Gamble - For his level of play his contract really isn't that bad. Just restructure and bring him back. We have a need at CB already and can't afford to lose Gamble until we have a better idea about Josh Norman.

Steve Smith - We have nobody viable to step into the #1 WR spot unless we end up signing Greg Jennings, which is a long shot.

RELEASE/TRADE:

Jon Beason - Try to trade and release if no takers. It's tough to say that, but we just have no place for him with Luke in the mix and forcing him outside just doesn't make sense at his salary when he's not the same player there and there's still injury issues.

DeAngelo Williams - Release. Nobody's going to take on his contract.

Haruki Nakamura - Awful. Need I say more?

Geoff Hangartner - Not a huge contract, but we just need an upgrade here.

Ron Edwards - Injury issues + we need to find a viable replacement in the draft/FA.

FREE AGENCY:

I'm not going to get into specific players here, just general needs that I feel can be filled here without spending a ton.

TE - Find a Shockey-esque compliment to Olsen. Barnidge just isn't playing well enough and we can't afford to spend a pick on TE.

OL - A viable backup swing tackle/guard who can start and not see a huge drop-off.

OLB - Find a decent veteran weakside linebacker in case T.D. goes down again.

CB - Maybe a relatively cheap veteran nickel guy for insurance if the young guys don't pan out.

S - A decent veteran safety who can be a stop-gap if we can't find a day-1 starter in the draft.

THE DRAFT:

1st - Sheldon Richardson, DT, Missouri: If we can't have Star, this is our guy. He doesn't have the consistency/injury concerns that Hankins does. Granted, he's more of a 3-technique but you put him with Hardy and Johnson and we'd have a fierce(er) pass rush.

2nd - Stedman Bailey, WR, West Virginia: Unless a Keenan Allen or Justin Hunter drops, I really like Bailey as a 2nd round pick. He could learn under Smitty for a year or two and then step in as the starter if all goes well. He was absolutely dominant at WVU and while some of that if the offense they run, it's hard to deny the talent; I figure he can be a good slot guy if nothing else.

3rd - TRADED (Frank Alexander)

4th - Phillip Thomas, S, Fresno State: Has the potential to be just what we need at safety: a ballhawk who can create turnovers without being a huge liability in coverage. Had 8 INT's this year to lead the country. By no means would he be guaranteed to start day 1, but I figure he could come right in and compete with the veteran we bring in for the starting job.

5th - Caleb Sturgis, K, Florida: It's always tough to predict when kickers will go as sometimes teams take them earlier than expected based on need. However, if Sturgis is available in the 5th we should bite. Graham Gano isn't the long-term solution and unless we find a viable kicker in free agency this will be a definite need.

6th - Brian Winters, OT, Kent State: It's tough to say with these lower-profile guys as sometimes teams reach for them but I like Winters as a potential sleeper pick and in the 6th round we don't have much to lose and need OL depth anyway.

7th - TRADED (Louis Murphy)

A. Johnson deserves every penny of his contract and would be truly offended if we. asked him to restructure after how well he's played.

B. I really don't see a back up for Dwan Edwards bein the pick. If he doesn't resign, we'll talk.

C. Bailey is not one of the better receivers that will be available in the 2nd.

D. Love Phillip Thomas, but he will go early 3rd or late second. Who ever lands him is going to get a starting free safety, though.

A. Johnson deserves every penny of his contract and would be truly offended if we. asked him to restructure after how well he's played.

B. I really don't see a back up for Dwan Edwards bein the pick. If he doesn't resign, we'll talk.

C. Bailey is not one of the better receivers that will be available in the 2nd.

D. Love Phillip Thomas, but he will go early 3rd or late second. Who ever lands him is going to get a starting free safety, though.

E. We are already 5 million over cap next year, cutting Beason (D-lo for that matter) will only increase our cap hit.

Exactly. Beason has already played outside in his career before and he wasn't nearly as good there. Now we're talking post-injury Beason at a position we know he's not as good at AND with a huge salary to boot.

Also, I think you guys are MASSIVELY underestimating Stedman Bailey.

Archived